Kara-Moon Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:25:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The road to hell...  (Read 4916 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: June 01, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »

... is paved with the best intentions.

About 15 years ago, the company I work for designed a system for keeping the various sheets 'ribbons' of paper in a printing press lined up so they were all cut correctly to a reference mark and to each other (it is astonishing how much, and how variably paper can stretch under these conditions). These units, called Print Register Controls, are now well past their 'best before' date and are becoming impossible to maintain as the parts become obsolete.

With this in mind, I was involved in the design of a new replacement system, which was put on trials with one of our oldest customers. The machine operators loved its simplicity and reliability. The production managers were delighted at the reduction in paper wastage. What could possibly go wrong?

Bean counters, is the answer.

At the end of the trail period we offered the unit, at a reduced price as they had been good enough to let us trial it on their most unreliable press (a deliberate choice. If it worked there, it would work anywhere!) Nevertheless the accountants said it was too expensive. In an attempt to cut our losses, and help out the shop-floor people, we then offered the prototype as-is at an even further reduced price. This had now run for two years without a single hiccup. Still the answer was 'No', so with great reluctance we reconnected the old system.

We left the new system physically in place for a while, firstly so as to avoid interfering with their work schedule (it only required swapping over about about a dozen plugs), but also, initially just in case the old system failed to restart after a long downtime.

That was about a month ago.

Last week they started a new print job of a type and complexity that had never been attempted on that press before. The old control system had no hope at all of managing the task, which several of us on separate occasions told them, even though we did at least make a token attempt to jolly it along.

Enter our youngest, keenest engineer, who today also tried and failed to get the old system to work. However, unlike the rest of us, he then reconnected the (still physically present) new system, which immediately locked in almost perfectly.

My guess is the managers there will not realise what has been done for about a week. Our boss is also away till next week, after which I fully expect the excrement to come in contact with the rotating air mover.

I'm happy to say I'll be on holiday myself next week Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »

Cool
Having spent far too many of my younger years working in engineering .... I seem to recognise most of this story ... Roll Eyes

When you come up with ... the moral of this story is ... ?  we should get together and write a song about it.  Cool
Would this be the genre that they call .... industrial ?   Lips Sealed   Grin

Wink
James

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »

Write a song about it ?
You know, if all engineers here combine there stories we could write a book about it

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »

You're probably right...
Trouble is, it would make depressing reading Grin

@James
The problem is I'm not sure I know what the moral is Roll Eyes

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:23 PM »

Civil engineering was my choice of endeavour after a secondary school curriculum designated "science, trades, and technology". Having very little tolerance for structured education, I embarked upon a work-to-learn program, assisting in the design and supervision of constructing roads, bridges, subdivisions and other ecologically invasive projects. At the helm of each project was an engineer, or group thereof.

We, (the technicians) gathered the information, and the engineers designed the project. Then, the technicians and construction contractors got together, re-designed the project so it actually WORKED, and set about the job, making revisions as necessary. Upon completion, the revised plans went back to the engineer(s) for a seal and signature. Done deal.

The moral (in my not-so-humble opinion Kiss): formal education demands that a student ingest massive quantities of conflicting information. Compromises in judgement are necessary to reconcile these conflicts and act on them. If a person manages to survive a long course of formal education with any of their critical faculties intact, it is a miracle. Managers, engineers, lawyers, accountants, and other over-educated folk are afflicted with this skewed vision. Indeed, the "road to hell"... Wink

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:44:08 PM »

Oren   Shocked Shocked Shocked

This certainly sounds like this basis for an EPIC song ... Shocked

It's quite amazing how many 'engineers' we have here who have 'forsaken' it.  Roll Eyes

Wink
James

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:19:54 PM »

...This certainly sounds like this basis for an EPIC song ...

Agreed, James!

(what was your area of mayhem...? Cheesy)

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:18:59 AM »

what was your area of mayhem...?

Roll Eyes
Well ... after leaving school I went in to an apprenticeship as an electrician in an engineering works. Finished that and worked a few years on control panels and machine wiring, then the engineering slump of the 70's hit over here.
We lost coal-mining, shipbuilding and heavy engineering in the space of a few short years which meant thousands of people like myself were put out of work.
I was quite lucky as I was only unemployed for about 9 months. I never got back into the trade. I ended off as an ambulance driver working with people with disabilities. After 25 years of that I got this 'ill-health' retirement because of old Arthur Ritis.   Roll Eyes

Wink
James

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: