Kara-Moon Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:24:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm done with hardware keyboards....  (Read 11423 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: May 28, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »

This is the first time I have encountered instability in a hardware workstation keyboard and the fact that it occurred with my Korg M3,is a real shocker. Angry
One day-completely at random,I turned on my M3 and all of a sudden,the programs were listed out of order,some of the program patches were missing altogether and the effect settings were altered on ALL of the programs.

After having shut down my M3 3 times,I still had the problem and I suppose I could have contacted Korg to straighten it out,but I arrived at a different decision.
I felt it was time to reevaluate my gear priorities and make a radical change.Since I don't use my M3 much anymore due to being so engrossed in PC recording and since I have limited space,I sold my Korg M3,my Zoom R24 recorder and my KRK RP6's.

I only received $800 from a local pawn shop for everything,but I did not want to deal with shady online classifieds and I don't want any strangers in my studio and the amount was enough for me to get the computer upgrade I wanted,so it was worth taking the financial loss.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/desktop-computers/15773571

-Thom

Ultimately for my needs,I have grown very tired of the enormous expense of hardware keyboards and once a hardware keyboard is burnt out,the internal software is gone forever,whereas PC software is always there for you to transfer to another PC and computer towers are easy enough to replace,once they die.

I don't have any regrets and in fact,I feel relieved about having the extra room to work comfortably,more electrical outlet availability and also having the enormous resources of a monster computer to go hog-wild on! Evil

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »

I very seldom use my external tone generators any more.  Softsynths sound a lot better and are a lot cheaper!

I would definitely by an image copying software, I use Acronis, and at least one external hard drive and back everything up.  That way you can easily replace everything, programs and data, without the hassle if reinstalling everything. I have two terabyte externals and each has a copy of my entire music computer.

I believe you have made the right choice!

Good luck.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »

Looks like a fantastic program Mario,thanks! Cool Unfortunately at this time,I am tapped out,as I blew my wad on my new PC & a broadband router....but Acronis will be the very next thing on my list!

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:59:09 PM »

Thom,
have a look for Macrium Reflect.
It has a free version which I have recently started using.

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:31:45 AM »

Thanks for the tip,but I read on their website that in order to create a bootable DVD,you have to purchase the paid version of this software....doesn't really do me any good. Undecided

There is article,upon article,upon article of various tutorials....looks pretty complicated. Shocked

I think I stick with my future purchase of the Acronis software.

-Thom

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 06:15:55 AM »

Thom,

I'm surprised to hear you got rid of your M3. I never had the problem with my M3 and I took a complete backup of the settup to usb stick in case it would happen.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between soft and hardware synth these days: hardware synth are in fact PC's with a custom build OS and software.

My feeling: As long as the music is fine, there is no need for debating the difference between hard and soft.

Good luck with the soft-setup!

Moon 
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 06:34:19 AM »

Although I've been a saftsynth user for quite a long time now, I still have a Mx1 Roland Sound canvas and a Yamaha SY35. Neither gets used a lot, but they are still hooked into my system and used occasionally. Ironically my Yamaha QS300 is only ever used as a MIDI keyboard - go figure!

P.S.
I would stress that these are all true hardware synths with dedicated chipsets and a very fast start-up.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »

Moon,

I wasn't really in a debate about which is better in general-but rather,what I deem as being better for me. Cool I had many reasons for making the decision to unload my M3 and it terms of sounds & sequencers,well....I feel that softsynths are the clear choice for studio musicians(who don't perform live).

Things that I don't like about the M3;

If you make a mistake in the middle of a track that you discovered later,you cannot go back & splice that segment out,as you have to erase the entire track.
If you bend a note on a track at a certain point-everything after that point,is altered and effects that program patch's sound.

I don't think the M3 was really designed correctly,to support sound upgrades as the Xpanded upgrade overwhelms the limitations of the unit and it literally takes longer to boot up that a PC.

Most of the synth basses in the M3 are thin & lifeless,the e.guitars are sh*t and there isn't a good variety of pad sounds,in my opinion.

As for the effects...well..apart from the reverbs,delays & EQ's,there really isn't anything else that is all that useful or inspiring.

In reference to hardware keyboards like the Korg Oasys and Kronos-yes,I would agree that there is little,to no difference between them & PC software....but for what they cost,I could get a lifetime's worth of sounds,memory & recording in a computer set up and for me personally,it is the only choice that makes any sense to me,now.

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »

Will,

Yeah...the older keyboards were really something special,as they were unflinchingly reliable and simple to use.I never had any issues with Korg...that is,until I got the M3.

I still have my Kurzweil PC3LE6,which I use mainly as a midi controller...of which I am really happy with.

-Thom

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 02:20:34 AM »

Hard, soft, I like 'em both...and guitars, and hardware gadgets, and...

Great toys!

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »

I very seldom use my external tone generators any more.  Softsynths sound a lot better and are a lot cheaper!
I believe you have made the right choice!

The potential inherent in softsynths has always fascinated me. Kara was the one who introduced me to the vast possibilities offered by a controller keyboard and the seemingly limitless array of software available on the net, both commercial and free.

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »

Yeah, true for the most part I think. I have tons of softsynths for my home studio. However, for awhile I tried using them live with a laptop. I never had a hiccup, but always felt uncomfortable with that possibility. So changed to hardware for live. The most significant issue was finding an organ as good or better than NI's B-4 (the best softsynth Hammond in my opinion). I ended up with a Hammond XK-1 as my second board, and think it's better than the soft alternatives. Also, the S90es' piano (after tweaking) sounds as good as any of the ten or so softsynth pianos I have. So perhaps overall, softsynths are better, but there are some exceptions.

Reportedly, the Kronos is supposed to perform well as a "plug-in" for most DAW hosts. It will be interesting (fun) to test the quality of the sound side by side with my softsynth plug-ins. Reportedly, the HD synthesis was pulled from the Oasys, so it should be a good test.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 05:58:17 PM »

I find that with both soft and hard synths, I get familiar with just a handful of patches/presets and more or less forget about the rest Roll Eyes

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »

I wasn't really in a debate about which is better in general-but rather,what I deem as being better for me. Cool

Well, it all comes down to this: everyine has to find the setup which works best for him. And the setup that works today, may not be the one that works tomorrow, next week, next month or next year... So we keep on experimenting and evolving...

Moon

P.S.: both works file for me  Cool
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »

Thom,
I just had a mailshot from a software company who I deal with regularly offering a cheap deal on this:
http://rebit.com/

As the price, without the deal, is still reasonable I thought it may be of interest to you.
Check it out.

Wink
James

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: