Kara-Moon Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:10:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm done with hardware keyboards....  (Read 11419 times)
SLD Music

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »

To comment on the original topic,

I don't know.  Right now, I have two keyboards.  One is a MIDI Keyboard controller (an Axiom 25) that I got so I could have it right in front of me on my desk while I'm composing / doodling.  There are two major issues I have with it, though.  1)  It feels terrible to play.  I mean, I'm no keyboardist, but the Axiom just feels gawd-awful.  Cheap, hard-edged plastic keys... and it's "semi-weighted" feel is really just a fancy way of saying it take a little more pressure to play the keys than a synth action keyboard.  I was in Guitar Center the other day and felt the keys on an Axiom PRO and they really didn't feel any better to me.  It's just no fun to sit down and feel your way through a melodic line with the Axiom.  2)  It's too small.  25 keys isn't enough, and although it fits on the desk right in front of me, which is great, you can't put both your hands on it and play something.

That said, I also have an OLD (like... 17 years or older perhaps) Korg 01/w Pro Workstation keyboard.  It's only a synth action keyboard but it feels ALOT better than the Axiom--just FAR better made.  The problem with it though is that it's so old that the LCD screen is barely readable because the backlight has faded so much.  Some of the buttons on it are not very responsive anymore, and it's just got an incredibly antiquated interface and is pretty much impossible to save anything you create with it because of a long dead 3-1/2 floppy drive.

Given all that, I see in my future getting a hardware synth of some kind.  Most dedicated MIDI keyboard controllers are cheaply made and just feel terrible.  And to get one that feels good you might as well spend a little extra money and get a keyboard with sounds on it.  That way I can doodle around without firing up Cubase.  It's not going to happen tomorrow... but eh... one day.
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 03:37:54 PM »

Thom,
I just had a mailshot from a software company who I deal with regularly offering a cheap deal on this:
http://rebit.com/

As the price, without the deal, is still reasonable I thought it may be of interest to you.
Check it out.

Wink
James

Wow...there's so many options out there,that it is a bit overwhelming,but Rebit does seem to be the most appealing-thanks! Cool I was combing through CNET.com and came across free disc copy programs such as Easeus & Nero,but the prices of Rebit's various options are very reasonable! Cheesy

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »

To comment on the original topic,

I don't know.  Right now, I have two keyboards.  One is a MIDI Keyboard controller (an Axiom 25) that I got so I could have it right in front of me on my desk while I'm composing / doodling.  There are two major issues I have with it, though.  1)  It feels terrible to play.  I mean, I'm no keyboardist, but the Axiom just feels gawd-awful.  Cheap, hard-edged plastic keys... and it's "semi-weighted" feel is really just a fancy way of saying it take a little more pressure to play the keys than a synth action keyboard.  I was in Guitar Center the other day and felt the keys on an Axiom PRO and they really didn't feel any better to me.  It's just no fun to sit down and feel your way through a melodic line with the Axiom.  2)  It's too small.  25 keys isn't enough, and although it fits on the desk right in front of me, which is great, you can't put both your hands on it and play something.

That said, I also have an OLD (like... 17 years or older perhaps) Korg 01/w Pro Workstation keyboard.  It's only a synth action keyboard but it feels ALOT better than the Axiom--just FAR better made.  The problem with it though is that it's so old that the LCD screen is barely readable because the backlight has faded so much.  Some of the buttons on it are not very responsive anymore, and it's just got an incredibly antiquated interface and is pretty much impossible to save anything you create with it because of a long dead 3-1/2 floppy drive.

Given all that, I see in my future getting a hardware synth of some kind.  Most dedicated MIDI keyboard controllers are cheaply made and just feel terrible.  And to get one that feels good you might as well spend a little extra money and get a keyboard with sounds on it.  That way I can doodle around without firing up Cubase.  It's not going to happen tomorrow... but eh... one day.

If you're referring to M-Audio's original Axiom series,I don't believe that they were marketed as being "semi-weighted" and they certainly had nothing more than the most useless synth-action I had ever come across,which is why I waited for the pro series.
I very much like my Axiom Pro 49,as it has full size keys and although it's not the most pristine in semi-weighted keyboards,the price wasn't too bad,considering the auto-mapping technology inside.
In recent years though,M-Audio has re-issue of the Axiom series,but with the pro-quality keybed-of which is a tremendous value....if your on a tight budget and want some halfway decent action.
Since I have two PC workstations,I also have a Kurzweil PC3LE6 hardware keyboard,which I use as a midi controller....I got one for $1300 and it has 1,000 built in sounds & has excellent key-bed action....perhaps it might be something you would be interested in.
The Korg SV-173 73-Key Vintage Stage Piano,has the best action I have ever felt and it would be absolutely perfect for use as a midi controlller,but it's $2,000....still though,the action is so wonderful,that it almost justify's the price tag.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:03:03 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

SLD Music

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 04:26:02 PM »

I have the newer style of Axiom keyboard.  Found here:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom25New.html

It's advertised as semi-weighted... and to that I say... "Meh...".  Smiley  Like I said, I only just barely touched the Axiom PRO version at Guitar Center the other day, but I didn't feel much difference between that one and mine.  Perhaps that's because there is no difference.  It's not even that the keys need to be weighted at all for me (although it would be nice), it just feels chincy to play.  I don't know... maybe I'm just being way too picky.

Anyway, I'll give a look at the Kurzweil.  Again, it's not going to happen now, but a better keyboard is on my list of things to consider.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: