Kara-Moon Forum
May 16, 2024, 09:04:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Take it as it comes  (Read 8596 times)
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« on: June 10, 2008, 07:09:49 PM »

Rather relaxed little tune this time. Maybe it's the weather. We're having an early summer this year. You can even hear the birds outside my window at the end of the song. They just won't shut up when I'm recording.  Grin

http://www.martin-e-music.nl/mp3/Take-it-as-it-comes.mp3
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:23:08 PM »

Good song, easy to listen to tune, clean well balanced performance, vocals nicely at the front.

... and that's just taking it as it comes Afro

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »

Sounds like not only the birds are inspired by the good weather !  Smiley

Once again, very nice song and great production !

Moon
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:16:09 PM »

Mhhh...a bit different here atm... temperature is rather high but the rain doesn't want to go away... Sad

Very nice track, the strings arrangement sounds like a retro movie thing, very good
I like it

Cheers
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:35:55 PM »

Lovely song.
I particularly like the way the acoustic guitar drives it along.
Thanks for sharing.
 Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »

Martin,

There's that familiar ring again...distinct style and arrangements once again. Cool

The descents in the chord progressions are lovely.On a personal note,I'm not really all that fond of Mellotron sounds myself,as I feel they only serve a particular purpose-such as a retro feel.
The reason I bring this up,is because this song reminded me of Led Zeppelin's "Rain Song",in which I was so dazzled by the beauty of the song,but at the same time,I felt that the use of that cheesy string sound really put a damper on the song.
Led Zeppelin could have easily afforded to bring in a real orchestra to do the string parts,and I never understood thier reasoning.

It's a matter of personal taste,but that antique,synthetic string sound is my least favourite,especially when it's included in a acoustic theme.

Wonderful arrangement here-great job. Cheesy

Thom

Talvin

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:10:04 PM »

I always look forward to hearing a new Martin E. song. Again you did a great job though I must say I wouldn't use that tron sound too often. The only criticism I have is that the song stays on the same level all the time if you know what I mean. On the other hand this gives it a hypnotic touch.
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:28:12 AM »

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Yeah, I may be overdoing the mellotron vibe a bit.  Grin  Still I think the arrangement works for me in this song. I tried to get the solopart sound a bit more like an oboe but that didn't materialize the way I wanted it. On the whole I love mellotron sounds and  I don't think they sound cheesy as Thom says. You love it or you hate it I guess. Also, it depends on how they are used.

I can already promise though that my next song won't have mellotron sounds in it  Grin

@Talvin Maybe you're right that towards the ending I could have put in a bit more variation. But the two mellotron lines also play an important part there. Which gives a bit of an hypnotic touch as you say.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 08:20:49 PM »

Lovely song.
I particularly like the way the acoustic guitar drives it along.
Thanks for sharing.
 Wink
James

+1

I also liked the Mellontron.  I think it fits this one to a tee.

The percussion also is spot one.

This is a keeper.

The older I get the better I was!
magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 09:11:40 PM »

Hi Martin,

cool song, sounds more english 60's this time  Grin
Enjoyable! Thanks.

bye

mag

Frenchy but chic
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:41:10 PM »

Thanks, Mario and Mag. Glad you like it.
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 12:14:03 AM »

Martin,

I had been looking forward to another one of yours, and this one is another winner.

I have always enjoyed your voice, and the quality of your production work here
is stellar. Your voice is showcased like it ought to be.

Lush soundscape too..just perfect for my taste.

Cool

Wyatt

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »

Hi Martin!

I haven't been around much for the last couple weeks. But I'm at home today and finally got the chance to listen.

Fits all your usual high standards for vocals, production, etc..  Your accoustic guitar is really sounding excellent in your recent recordings. The comp is not in my top 5 from you, but the progression is intriguing. Did it come natural to you, or did you go digging for it?  Its beautifully unique. Also...perfect break at 1:51 and perfect outro.

Roll Eyes I used to have fun ragging you about your outros...I guess those days are over now  Cheesy

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 08:28:08 AM »

Thanks Wyatt and Fred

@ Fred. Yes, I'm really pleased with sound of that Hagstrom J45 acoustic.

The chord progression came about in parts really. First I had the chorus and after that the verse in different forms and with different vocal lines. The [F#m] [B  ] tied the verse and chorus together in a nice way. After that I needed something to get from the chorus to the verse again. I finally came up with the [A G#m] [G  ] [A  ] bit. Which seemed a bit strange but it worked.

Would be fun to know what your top five is  Grin
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »

Would be fun to know what your top five is  Grin

Well, speaking as a collaborator, it shouldn't be to hard for you to guess  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Actually, one not long ago, I think it might have been for the contest, is in there too.

Edit; now I remember it was "Because of You".
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 06:08:14 PM by Fred S » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: