Kara-Moon Forum
May 16, 2024, 07:57:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Teach Me Tonight experiment  (Read 6346 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: February 10, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »

Teach Me Tonight is one of my all time favorites.  I thought this would be a good song to experiment on. This is my first attempt at writing horn parts so any suggestions you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Let me know what you think.

* Teach Me Tonight.mp3 (6607.63 KB - downloaded 393 times.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:17:27 PM by MarioD » Logged

The older I get the better I was!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:31:38 PM »

Mario,

I'm going to make some critical comments here, but first: spiffy guitar work! Really nice.

That oboe thing sounds good. The rest of the horn action sounded best when laying back, and least appealing when the horn section was really givin' 'er.

Plus, well....shoot the drummer. If it's RealDrums, then the guy likely lives near me here in Victoria - I'll shoot him/her for you. Nothing specifically wrong; just a nasty beat that gets in the way of the flow of the song. Now tell me that you play drums, too.... Cheesy

Not my intention to be picky, friend  Evil

Oren.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »

Oren, Thanx for the comments, good and bad!

The word experiment in the title means just that.  I tried two different things in this song.  One was arranging a horn section, I know my horn’s sounds suck!  Someday I’ll have enough money to buy some good horn samples.  I just want to be sure I’m on the right arranging track.

The second part of the experiment was the rhythm. It is a 12/8 gospel backing track and not the usual swing type of track that this song normally has.  These were midi drums so you can put your gun away!  And no I’m not a drummer, obviously!

Thanx for the honest comments.  You were not picky!  The only way for me to learn is to put up songs like this and hear what others think. 

PS- that oboe thing was supposed to sound like a trumpet with a cup mute.

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:03:29 AM »

Well...I liked listening to the guitar!  Did you play in the organ, or was it part of the backing track...cause its sounds pretty nice as well.

Its tough to put horn samples out front like that unless they're really good.
Even then, its tough to get em real if you know what I mean. The arrangement wasn't bad though, I didn't think.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »

Well...I liked listening to the guitar!  Did you play in the organ, or was it part of the backing track...cause its sounds pretty nice as well.

Its tough to put horn samples out front like that unless they're really good.
Even then, its tough to get em real if you know what I mean. The arrangement wasn't bad though, I didn't think.

Thanx Fred for listening and the kind words.

Like virtually all of my backing tracks the organ came from a Band-in-a-Box style that I modified in Sonar.  I get basic backing tracks from BiaB then change them around to my liking.  I wish I could play organ!

Yep, horn samples are extremely hard to do, hence the name experiment in the title
 Grin

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 06:54:24 PM »

Most has allready been said
I think it would be a good idea to change the bass sound to a fretless or upright bass sound, would fit better the mood of the song and the style of the bass track

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 09:11:08 AM »

Most has allready been said
I think it would be a good idea to change the bass sound to a fretless or upright bass sound, would fit better the mood of the song and the style of the bass track

I miss this one when originally posted.
I agree with the comments posted here. This is a nice track and it just need a few adjustments in the arrangements.
Especially in the 1st part when it is rather empty. Some more soft organ stuff in background maybe.
Bass sound is a bit weak, it could be improved
Great work with horns, the arrngements works
Guitar is just fine

Cheers
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 01:13:38 PM »

L.R., thanx for listening, the kind words and expecially the suggestions.

I will give them a try when time permits.

Thanx

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: