Kara-Moon Forum
May 16, 2024, 09:22:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: Feedback on song idea!  (Read 11903 times)
Mick Emery

« on: March 06, 2008, 03:46:07 AM »

This all started out as a simple jazz lick.
I was "noodling" on the Synthophone, and heard some chords to it, in my head.
I put the chords into BIAB & played around, it turned into something entirely different. (same lick, but different)
I then recorded a piano melody to the midi file imported into PT.
(laptop is down...can only record with keys into desktop)

It's obvious I'm no keyboard player, (piano sound sucks too) but I think a real pianist could do this justice.
It's only 1:40 long & I think it has potential.

http://mickemery.com/mickemery/mp3s/RockyII.mp3

Comments...thoughts???

Thanks,
Mick

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »

Comments...thoughts???

Thanks,
Mick

Mick,

The composition is quite good. I would work on the ending, though. From about 1:25 on it seems indecisive. WELL WORTH working this one up though.

I would love to hear this with real instruments. A friend of mine recently came to the US from France to have her music recorded by a string ensemble at a name studio. When you hear how beautiful real instruments can be, then MIDI is kind of like looking through the wrong end of the binoculars.

MIDI is a great tool, but I would really love to hear this one of yours be all that it might be.

It's really that good.

Wyatt
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 10:49:20 AM by Wyatt » Logged

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »

It has real potential

If you want to include some other artists, you could put it up for collaboration here

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »

This certainly has potential......what I hear in my (strange) head is a song! A sort of Tom Waits ballad, with a moody acoustic bass.
If anyone can come up with some mean lyrics I wouldn't mind having a go at this!
 Cool
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 10:40:16 PM »

Very nice excerpt.

I too can 'hear' a song, probably a slightly wistful love song. I can also 'hear' a high smooth whistle coming in at 1:16 (in the extended version)  Wink and 'see' a video of a guy strolling down a dark wet lamplit street hands in pockets.

A couple of points if you don't mind.

The start is very abrupt. I wonder if a couple of LH arpegios before the melody would soften it.

Some of the chording between 0:55 - 1:09 doesn't sound quite right to me.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Mick Emery

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:24:28 PM »

Thanks to all for your feedback.
From about 1:25 on it seems indecisive.
That's definitely me.
The start is very abrupt. I wonder if a couple of LH arpegios before the melody would soften it.
It does need an intro, and as Mario pointed out in the PG forum, possibly a string lead with the piano in the bridge.  I checked the chords.  They appear to be correct.

Thanks again.
Mick 

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 01:35:19 PM »

Mick,

When did you turn Eye-talian Grin?

Good tune, nicely paced. Needs just a little more content to flesh out the theme, and you're downtown.

Schweet.... Cool

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 07:51:36 PM »

Thanks to all for your feedback.
It does need an intro, and as Mario pointed out in the PG forum, possibly a string lead with the piano in the bridge.  I checked the chords.  They appear to be correct.

Thanks again.
Mick 

It may be they are perfectly correct Smiley

I have noticed a curious effect with chords played as arpeggios, against a running lead, that they sometimes sound wrong. My guess is that the listeners ear merges the two so the notes then run the 'wrong' way. In some of my work I have actually played deliberately wrong notes to make the overall effect sound right Huh

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »

In some of my work I have actually played deliberately wrong notes to make the overall effect sound right Huh

Will,
You've just managed to describe my whole musical philosophy.... Cheesy

Mick Emery

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:22:59 PM »

In some of my work I have actually played deliberately wrong notes to make the overall effect sound right
"There are no wrong notes" (Kenny Werner)
To paraphrase.."Each era in music has it's acceptable notes.  The conventional wisdom of the 14th century gives way to what becomes acceptable in the 15th etc..  If the notes were wrong previously, why are they correct now?  The answer?  They were never wrong!"
It wasn't all that long ago that the major 7 chord didn't exist! (wrong notes)

just sayin'...
Mick

ziyben

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »

What a lovely melody;great as it is -it would be irresistible as a tango Mick.The melody is eminently suitable.
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 09:12:20 PM »

In some of my work I have actually played deliberately wrong notes to make the overall effect sound right
"There are no wrong notes" (Kenny Werner)
To paraphrase.."Each era in music has it's acceptable notes.  The conventional wisdom of the 14th century gives way to what becomes acceptable in the 15th etc..  If the notes were wrong previously, why are they correct now?  The answer?  They were never wrong!"
It wasn't all that long ago that the major 7 chord didn't exist! (wrong notes)

just sayin'...
Mick

Hehe..even if you make an actual mistake..it's OK as long as you repeat it.  Grin

Wyatt

Mick Emery

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 02:37:59 AM »

Hehe..even if you make an actual mistake..it's OK as long as you repeat it.  Grin

And forcefully, I might add!

M

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »

And forcefully, I might add!

M

Wyatt

Mike

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »

Very good song-idea and well worth working out. As stated by others it does seem to need an intro. I also think that an extra theme, played just once in the whole song could make it more "complete" and give it that extra edge. (jmho)
Great work.

Mike

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: