Kara-Moon Forum
May 16, 2024, 11:32:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Only Time Will Tell  (Read 5235 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: March 22, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »

Another classic from the early 80's that is my most pleasant memory of my childhood,as I played this record until I wore it down to nothing. Evil Cheesy

You're leaving now,it's in your eyes..there's no disguising it
It really comes as no surprise,to find that you planned it all along

I see it now,becomes so clear...your insincerity
And me all starry-eyed,you'd think that I would have known by now

Now,sure as the sun will cross the sky,the lie is over
Lost,like the tears that used to tide me over

(Only time will tell)
One thing is sure,that time will tell
(Only time will tell)
If you were wrong..the brightest ring around the moon,will darken when I die

Now,sure as the sun will cross the sky,the lying's over
Gone,like the like the tears that used to tide me over

You're leaving now,it's in your eyes...there's no disguising it
It really comes as no surprise,to find that you planeed it all along

(Only time will tell)
I see it now,becomes so clear...your insincerity
And me all starry-eyed,you'd think that I would have known by now

Now,sure as the sun will cross the sky,the lie is over
Lost,like the tears that used to tide me over

(Only time will tell)
You're on your own,inside your room
You're claiming victory

You were just using me and there is no one you can use now....

* Only Time Will Tell(mp3).mp3 (4776.53 KB - downloaded 277 times.)

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:11:49 AM »

Oh oh  Shocked
Another cover tune, and I know the original well
You did an excellent job here with vocals.
I don't like cymbals/hi-hat in here  Sad they sounds so thin and fake when keeping time and You can feel the lack of a power crash into breaks. Drums in general sounds a bit GM-ish
Apart from that, this song is arranged very well and it works for me.
Well done

Cheers
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:44:12 PM »

Thom,

You've set a high standard for pop music covers in the last few weeks, and, well.....this puppy is not up to it. The song may just not be right for your instrumental tastes and singing style, or maybe you hurried through the recording and production?

Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but it's your own fault, doing so many good ones in a row...

Now get back to work Cheesy

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:27:02 PM »

I don't know the original at all - not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

The overall arrangement and style seems fine. Some nice vocal backing. However I get the impression you're pushing your voice just that bit too much. There is a short patch at 2:05 where you just seem to fade out.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »

L.R.,

Being that my Korg is my main instrument for acoustic sounds,I only have so much to work with and only so many options to choose from and even though I strived to do a reasonable likeness of the original,some songs just come across as a cheap,karoake version-no matter what I do.

Since I am not a pc based musician,my only other option is to eventually add another keyboard to my set up,but then again,trying to emulate an entire professional band with immense talent,well...I'm just out-gunned in a big way. Tongue Grin

Thanks for the input & I am glad you liked it,despite the crudeness of it. Smiley

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »

Oren,

Your initial prognosis is right,instrumentally,this song is not right for me,as despite my hard work,it did fall short in many ways and it justs sounds like a low-grade karoake tune.

This cover was my first 22 track recording and it's all out of my league,but it was so much fun to do and I have had such an immense love for this song for so many years,that I just had to challenge myself.

Thanks for your honesty with your input...I always like a straight shooter. Smiley

Well...back to the drawing board...whew! Grin

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 03:41:59 PM »

Will,

Yep,I am pushing my voice too hard indeed,but no pain-no gain! Grin If I don't challenge myself,then I certainly don't expect to improve.

Your vocal chords are like anther other muscle in your body,if you don't condition them,they will not have the strength to perform well-hence giving me the control to expand my range & fine tune my projection.

Also,I cannot always know beforehand,as to whether or not I will be capable of doing a certain song-until I actually take that step and make an attempt.

I must say that the vocals in this song were exhausting and I did in fact,fade out,because I did not realize that this song would be so difficult at first.

Geofrey Downes voice is not that particularly high in range,so I thought I could pull it off,but Geoff has an extremely stout voice and I could no where near match his strength & control.

I'm glad that there were certain elements that you liked and I appreciate your input. Smiley

Thanks,

Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: