Kara-Moon Forum
May 15, 2024, 03:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lounge Music  (Read 8913 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: October 27, 2007, 08:40:42 PM »

This is a song I wrote a couple of years ago.  It’s a closing song for a local lounge band. 

I wrote this one night as I was reminiscing about playing in lounges at closing time and thinking about all the lost soles that were there.  You know the Leisure suit Larry types; males 45-50 ish wearing an old leisure suit, mustache, going bald so he bought the cheapest and almost matching his own hair color toupee, thinking he is God’s answer to women and trying to score with any female he can.  Plus he keeps you there till quitting time and almost always goes home empty handed!

Anyway you get the picture. I hope you like it.

* Last Call at the Hollow Inn.mp3 (3236.73 KB - downloaded 311 times.)

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 09:54:45 PM »

A very descriptive and sad tune. Well performed.

The only suggestion I would be inclined to make would be for the fade-out to disolve into very heavy reverberation.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 11:08:34 PM »

A very descriptive and sad tune. Well performed.

The only suggestion I would be inclined to make would be for the fade-out to disolve into very heavy reverberation.

Good idea.

At the time I wrote this I was trying to emulate a typical lounge band.  Thus the fade out.

Thanx for listening and the idea - MarioD

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 01:41:54 AM »

Almost makes ya miss the scene..
Nice job on it. Fits the mood..

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:50:47 AM »

Mario,

Where I come from, the bars are dark, dirty, and dangerous. Really nasty joints where you sit with your back to the wall.
So, the first time I encountered a "lounge", with nice refined live music and no-one trying to brain me with a chair...heaven!
Your tune reminds me of some of the most convivial times I've ever experienced - nothing sad there for me. (didn't even know what a toupe was at the time....just figured somebody had skinned a muskrat and gave it to this guy to keep his head warm... Cheesy)

Oren.

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 09:35:38 AM »

Nice composition Mario  Grin
good sounds and arrangement, everything is in line with the sad mood

Cheers
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 02:20:04 PM »

Almost makes ya miss the scene..
Nice job on it. Fits the mood..

Thanx Bob.

You're right, it ALMOST make ya miss the scene.  I wonder if the scene is still on?

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »

Thanx Oren

Where I come from, the bars are dark, dirty, and dangerous. Really nasty joints where you sit with your back to the wall.
Oren.

I've played in some of those bars!  On break you have to have at least one band member guarding the equipment at all times!

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 02:24:21 PM »

Laguna Rising, thanx for the kind words.  They are greatly appreciated - MarioD

FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 08:49:02 PM »

Lovely sad evocative tune - I loved it. The arrangement is apt for the theme and the guitar playing is excellent and tasteful.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »

FourthMansions, Thank you very much for the kind words.  I greatly appreciate them - MarioD

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 04:08:21 PM »

Mario,

As with Oren,I don't find your music particularly sad either,just relaxing.

I personally have never experienced lounge music in a gritty,nasty enviroment,but I have had my share of experiencing the types of places that Oren is speaking of,which is why I rarely go out to bars anymore.

I am really big on coffee house gigs though,as I've played them and mostly-I've enjoyed being in the audience,as generally,people are there for the music alone-intently absorbing the performance,as supposed to just congregating to a place to chit chat & drink themselves stupid.

I'm more of a fan of what I like to call "Art Deco" music,because that retro bossanova stuff really has a profound impact on me.

I was actually thinking about infusing that style with electronic music & as soon as I get my Alesis Ion-I'm going to get cracking on it right away!

Your guitar performances are always a pleasure. Cool

Cheers,

Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 06:45:14 PM »

Thanx Tom,

I never go to bars.  I’m just not a barfly I guess.  Never have been.  The only time I’ve been into bars was to play and even then I didn’t care for it.  The lounges I’ve played in were much nicer places to work.  The only time I’ve gone to them was to either play there or to listen to a band.   I don’t think there are many lounges around my neck of the woods anymore.

I don’t hit the coffee bars either; I must be getting old!  A friend of mine plays at a local coffee bar so I probably will hit one soon.

I’d actually forgotten how much I enjoyed the bossanova stuff until I did Fool on the Hill.  I credit you for reawakening me.  Thanx.  I plan on doing some more in the near future.

Bossanova and electronic music?  I’d love to hear what you do with that. 

Thanx for the playing compliments - MarioD   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: