Kara-Moon Forum
May 15, 2024, 11:39:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep Searching  (Read 8719 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: November 10, 2007, 03:59:27 PM »

While I’m on my Del Shannon kick I though I’d do this one, Keep Searching.

As always constructive criticism is welcomed.

* Keep Searching.mp3 (2183.67 KB - downloaded 402 times.)

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »

This is a track I used to me particularly fond of. I had the original single, then later a re-recording was released which was extremely disappointing because you could tell that Del Shannon had lost interest in the song and it had no bite at all.

You have done a good job of your arrangement, but unfortunately it doesn't quite achieve that mid 60s 'edge'. I don't know if that is partly because I'm expecting a singer, or if you've gone for more of a 'lounge' style.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:05:55 PM »

Thanx folderol for your honest appraisal. 

I know that if I hear a song I’m really passionate about and it sounds different I tend not to like it, especially if I’ve not heard the original version in some time.  That may be the case here.  You’ll notice I’ve changed practically the whole song, new bass, drums and organ parts.  Couple that with the fact I’ve replaced the vocal parts with guitar parts then, well, it’s not the same song as the original.

I’m not sure I’d call this a ‘lounge’ style but I haven’t been in a lounge in a long long time and I am bias when it comes to lounge music.  Right or wrong, I tend to group slow ballads (instrumental and vocal), smooth jazz and bossanova in the lounge category. You know, warm and fuzzy music while you sip your drink with a love one.  I don’t think this version fits that genre, IMO.

I appreciate you listening and your comments - MarioD

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »

I disagree with Folderol about not getting the 60's edge.  I think the guitar sound and the lead organ sound are spot on, although I do agree with him about there being an overall 'loss' to the composition when translated to an instrumental. In saying that, you are quite right, Mario, that it is to do with the perceived memory of an old song. Overall, a worthy tune with an excellent arrangement.

I'm curious about this BIAB stuff....from what I have read about it, can you tell me (without betraying any musical secrets) how much is actually 'played' (as obviously the guitar and lead organ) and how much is 'fabricated' by the system?
 Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 11:09:25 PM »

Thanx James for the kind words. 

You are right about a ‘loss’ to the composition when played as an instrumental.  However with my voice I play almost everything as an instrumental  Grin.

I use BiaB as a sketch pad for most all of my songs.  Sometime I use the BiaB generated part(s) as is, but most of the time I modify something.  Here is the procedure I used for this song:

1-entered the chords into BiaB

2-used a hybrid style by combining two or styles to make a custom style (this is one of the best features of Biab, IMO – you can combine their styles to make a custom one for yourself – or you can create a style from scratch or from a midi file)

3-generated the backing tracks in BiaB then saved the song both as a BiaB file and a midi file

4-imported the midi file into Sonar PE 5.2

I always save the files in both formats that way I can go back to BiaB to regenerate and/or modify selected sections.

In Sonar is where I do all of my modifications.  This is what I did with this song:

1-Modified the bass line by changing some notes, rhythms and cutting and pasting BiaB parts. This comes out to about 80% BiaB parts including the cuts and pastes and 20% of my rewrites

2- Did the same for the backing organ track.  This was about 90 % BiaB parts including the cuts and pastes and 10% of my rewrites

3-Reworked the entire drum track.  Most of the time BiaB generates very good midi drums.  (Note that BiaB also has what it calls Real Drums. These are actual “live drummer” loops that BiaB can use to generate many different drum patterns within each style.)

This time, although the drum track fit I didn’t like it, so I used Groove Monkey Profession Midi Beats to generate this track.

The of course I then added my parts.

I hope this helps.  If want any further information feel free to contact me - MarioD

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 06:54:25 PM »

This is really a good production.
Very well done, nice guitars and organ.
I think the drums are ok in a modern way of making music, but they're too much upfront if you want to preserve the 60's feel. For what I remember from 60's recordings drums were never compressed as we usually do nowdays and they were kept almost in backgound.
Anyway I prefer drums this way, more clear and punchy
Nice stuff

Cheers
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 10:06:41 PM »

Thanx LR for the kind words!

I really didn’t try to preserve the 60’s feel or sound.  I just play what I think is OK and let it go at that.  As you can hear I preferred a more dominant drums than the original in this case. 

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 01:45:10 PM »

Mario,

Sounds like you took your guitar vitamins before recording that one! Very authoritive chops.

Oren.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 03:04:29 PM »

Thanx Oren.

Yes I took vitamin G before recording this one.  You can buy vitamin G over the counter now.  It comes in a red can!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: