Kara-Moon Forum
May 15, 2024, 03:04:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New Oren/rharv tune...enjoy (I hope)  (Read 21488 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 05:51:33 PM »

This reminds me a little of the American Prayer album from the Doors,but definately has more of a Pink Floyd flavor to it-very cool! Cool

Elwood

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 07:43:23 PM »

Thanks Fred and Elwood. We appreciate the feedback. Especially from experienced recording guys.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 08:35:44 PM »

Very well put together. Clear and easy to listen to, but lots of interesting detail. I really like the contrast between the clean guitar and the quieter distorted one. Vocal differences fit well, and the harmonies are good.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 09:39:54 PM »

The contrasts are classic     (..oooh, a clickey!)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:44:14 PM by rharv » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 12:07:37 AM »

IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THESE GUYS..DO YOURSELF A FAVOR!!!
Wyatt

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 06:15:59 AM »

Very true, one day you guys will be famous
you should be famous

k

IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THESE GUYS..DO YOURSELF A FAVOR!!!
Wyatt

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 04:57:07 PM »

Hey Bob & Oren!

Finally had time to listen to Diatribe. You guys are very talented and accomplished, and the production on all the tunes is fantastic. Is that your mastering work, Bob?

Really enjoyed Wild....excellent!! Love an odd-metered tune done well/seemless.

Here's one from a project (Celestine) I'm working on done in 13/8 you guys might enjoy. Its a collab effort with Frederik (comes around here now and then) we did last year...one of his beautiful compositions I took to the dark side Wink. Gotta have a little edge, right?  Grin

btw, if sometime you guys want a little hammond sound, dont be shy!

http://www.graybeardmusic.com/fred/Celestine%3b%20Part%204%3b%20Dark%20Skies.mp3

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 08:47:58 PM »

Thanx Fred, glad you enjoyed it.

I need to get away from programming/mastering for a few days and write another song...I could use the creative gratification.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 01:03:41 AM »

Fred,

You got parts, friend! Big ones. Chops, too....colour me impressed  Shocked.

That's a keeper (hope you don't mind... Cheesy)

Oren.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 08:29:20 AM »

Great prog rock !
Not surprised of the quality actually, you & fred together that simply must give quality.

Just a hint : If you post new songs, put them in a new thread, you'll have more reviews Smiley

I'm impressed by that piano playing, somebody here realy knows how to play !

k

Hey Bob & Oren!

Finally had time to listen to Diatribe. You guys are very talented and accomplished, and the production on all the tunes is fantastic. Is that your mastering work, Bob?

Really enjoyed Wild....excellent!! Love an odd-metered tune done well/seemless.

Here's one from a project (Celestine) I'm working on done in 13/8 you guys might enjoy. Its a collab effort with Frederik (comes around here now and then) we did last year...one of his beautiful compositions I took to the dark side Wink. Gotta have a little edge, right?  Grin

btw, if sometime you guys want a little hammond sound, dont be shy!

http://www.graybeardmusic.com/fred/Celestine%3b%20Part%204%3b%20Dark%20Skies.mp3

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 10:31:52 AM »

Finally got time to listen to this.
Kara is right- this needs it's own thread so more people will hear it...and I doubt it was done with PGMusic stuff. Not because it couldn't be done in PGMusic software,it certainly could,  just doubt it was..typing as I listen, as usual..

Nice piano/string thing at the intro. The guitar comes in pretty dramatic, but it sounds like old recording, lacking presence a bit (kinda buried here)
Cool piano following it...I'm digging that.  Real nice when the drums come in at 2:45.
 Just as impressive as the piano playing at 3:20 is the background that joins in; nice arranging.
3:42 made me smile.
Again, nice arrangement right after that.
 Interested in the rest of the Celestine now...

You asked about 'mastering' work on Diatribe.
 I wanted to mention that all the Diatribe tunes were specifically aimed at being mp3 128/44 format when done. (we may change to OGG soon, but so far it's all mp3)
Oren and I both worked on the final versions, sending them back and forth before Oren would finally post them.  It's different working in mp3; harder to keep the sonic clarity on some things.  For instance on 'Wild' the format just destroyed the electric-grand piano sound to my ears. WMA did it more justice for some reason, but we were committed to mp3 for the Motogator.com site. Thanks for the compliments on the sound of our stuff.
 We have a lot of fun doing those songs, and there will be more soon.

I'm finally done with the Kara-Moon CD mastering (I think). The image is burned, our new site is up and running, my new mastering station at home is built, and I'm ready to do some music again! I need to get away from the qwerty keyboard and in front of the Juno-G keyboard again, it's been too long.
Thanks for posting that song, it was inspiring.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 10:37:05 AM by rharv » Logged

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »

Fred,

You got parts, friend! Big ones. Chops, too....colour me impressed  Shocked.

Oren.

@ Oren; Hey Oren, thx, your alright!!!  I can't claim the piano chops here though cause they belong to Frederik. Although I do play piano, I'm much better with keys that spring back  Wink

@Kara; sorry, I wasn't trying to put it up for the masses. I just really enjoyed Bob's and Oren's Wild cause it was mostly done in 5/4 (I think it was 5/4), and thought they might enjoy this in 13/8. There's something very cool about an odd-meter comp that sounds natural and/or doesn't sound like its in an odd meter, and Wild fills the bill!

@Bob; Celestine is about half done. It should be done now but I wanted to play at least one tune on guitar myself. I'm just not good enough yet so the project is currently stalled. Much of it so far has Martin's wonderful vocal and guitar contributions. Actually part 7 (back with my friends) is going to have a lot of folks involved. Maybe I can get you and Oren on there!!!

You mentioned the guitar, so I'll explain (Oren, cover your ears). All the guitars in this tune were virtual brews and played on the keyboard (shhhh...). When you can't play guitar well enough, you do what you can Embarrassed  Wink  Its very hard to feature them out front and keep them close to authentic sounding, and some of the "coloring" is unfortunately necessary for the same reason.

Regarding the mastering in Diatribe. I think you and Oren do a fantastic job with that. Regarding pianos...that's a difficult proposition however played, let alone in 128. I have a ton of virtual pianos (including Ivory which is supposed to be the top of the line) and none of them sound close to my Kawaii. IMO, its sorta like pysuedo guitar...getting them to sound as close to real as possible. You have to be very careful with limiting and compression cause you'll absolutely kill the dynamics (unless you play and sound like Elton Wink), and whenever you listen to the same cut at 320 and then at 128, the piano is obviously negatively effected. It really doesn't sound all that bad in "Wild"....works in the mix pretty good.

Sorry for the long post!

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2007, 07:54:41 AM »

Fred,

I'll take you up on the offer of some Hammond action, once the mastering for "In A Spin" is finished. (I just tooled up with a complete new set of mastering software to try and get the MP3 versions sounding as good as Ogg Vorbis Roll Eyes) There are a couple of tunes which have been on the back burner for too long that could really do with a vacuum tube keyboard injection. Prepare to kiss "normal" goodbye... Cheesy

Oren.

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »

Prepare to kiss "normal" goodbye... Cheesy
Oh darn, it just got here....

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 02:57:01 AM »

Since we've gone into an odd-time display area..
the attached piece is an 11/8 piece Barry and I did about 6-7 years ago according to the date on the CD. We did a CD that consisted of two 20+ minute pieces divided into movements.  This was the second movement of the first piece, which focused around a trip we took in the 80's that went much farther than was intended..by a few years anyway.
 I was surprised at how well it flowed for such an odd time. Most people don't notice the odd time until it's mentioned, then they count it out and say 'hey- it IS in eleven!'

The recording quality itself is dated (I think it was tracked on a Tascam 4-track if I recall), but the work is pretty cool still

* Wejezgotcar.mp3 (4016.27 KB - downloaded 307 times.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:07:20 AM by rharv » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: