Kara-Moon Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:09:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: City of Misfits  (Read 5696 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: October 31, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »

City of Misfits is a conglomeration of sounds that somehow merged into a song.  This started out as a New Age song but while checking out styles in BiaB I came across this funk style, City2 – 70’s funky Soundtrack gro. So I used it!  I modified the bass and drums to better fit the song, keep the pads as is but changed the patches and played over the top of them.  I used my wind controller for the flute lead, the brass backing tracks (along with a couple played on my keyboard) and the trumpet and trombone lead and harmony parts.  The first guitar lead is through Amplitude 3 and the second is through my V-Amp Pro.  The synth lead and a couple of the brass backing parts were played on my keyboard. Plus I threw in a few sound effects for the heck of it!

I hope you like it for what it is.

* City of Misfits.mp3 (6594.94 KB - downloaded 622 times.)

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »

Plenty of surprises in there - all good ones.

BTW if it's a city of misfits, then as they are a city, they are by definition not misfits Tongue

Oh, and neither is your composition Cool

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »

Sounds like a new genre... "Techno-Motown" - something appropriate for a Quentin Tarantino movie soundtrack. Afro Cool!

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 09:37:13 PM »

After reading all of the ingredients-as well as all of the numerous alterations,I knew this was going to be interesting! Cool Especially love the synths that came in midway through the tune,but didn't care for the brass too much.

I also found that most of the tracks sounded pretty flat & thin effects-wise....which unfortunately,takes quite a bit away from the grandeur of the composition.

Very original sounding though,as I enjoyed it quite a bit. Afro

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:00:52 AM »

Thanx all for listening and the comments.

Thom, what would you suggest for effects that would unflatten (is that a word?) and thicken up the composition? 

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 01:47:27 AM »

Thom, what would you suggest for effects that would unflatten (is that a word?) and thicken up the composition? 

Aside from the obvious tracks that sound perfectly fine(the guitar & synths)...I would say that in terms of what could benefit from more effects,would be the brass and woodwind sounds.
I was thinking that a plate reverb,in combination with another effect to broaden the stereo field...would be good...because as is,they sound as though they were monaural.
Being that I don't know what your effects arsenal is like,it's very tricky to suggest what certain effects to add,because effects in general...vary greatly from one brand to another,in terms of their sonic character with regard to clarity,spatial depth & so on.
For example,some of my Reason reverb effects have wonderful preset combinations of plate reverbs & cross delays...whereas the chorus effects tend to dull the clarity of the sound.
In my Presonus S1 DAW,the chorus effects are amazing,in that they really widen the stereo field,without dulling the sound.

As for the bass track...well...ever since I really became serious about sweetening my bass presets with my newly acquired arsenal of bass amps & effects,I have become fanatical about authenticating my bass instruments as much as possible...by experimenting with many different amp and effect presets.
More specifically...really bringing the bass sounds more forward into the mix,by accentuating all of the little nuances of a real bass instrument...such as the glissandos,string buzzes & such.
I never used to pay very much attention to my bass sounds in the past,in terms of making them as realistic as possible...but Rony really jump-started my obsession into taking my bass lines more seriously.
In fact,I'm so much in love with electrified,acoustic bass sounds...that I rarely ever used synth basses.

As for the string tracks,they sound pretty good as is and I've realized that no amount of effects are going to compensate for a meticulously sampled string VST and the only really decent strings sounds that I have in my arsenal,is what's in my NI Komplete 6...but I am trying to get away from Native Instruments altogether,because I've had too many problems with installations and with virtually no customer support,I just can't bring myself to consider NI anymore(despite that I think that Kontakt is one of the best sample engines in the business).

If you're seriously considering making the adjustments I suggested,I hope my input is of some help to you.

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »

Thom, Thanx  for the invaluable information!  Any help I get that will help me improve my mixes is always welcomed.

I have a large arsenal of effects.  Like you said what is a good effect in one set sucks in another set.  Like you I pick and choose.

Those instruments sound mono as they are mono.  If an instrument is mono I record it that way and only use stereo for the effects.  The only effect I used on them was reverb and I kept that mono also.

As time permits I will get back to this.  However this is information that I have printed out to have as a reminder for my future mixes.

Thanx again.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: