Kara-Moon Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:34:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KVR Nov  (Read 5592 times)
rp314

« on: November 25, 2009, 03:45:38 AM »

Let's see if this manages to get some "pissed-off" votes.  Cheesy

Thanks for any comments.

richard

* 0911_rp314_InMemoriamDickiePeterson.mp3 (3431.53 KB - downloaded 338 times.)
Northern_Fist

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »

0:48 throughout the remainder of this clip sounded vaguely like music.

Since I don't play guitar, I have little background to critique this sound experiment.

If Karlheinz Stockhausen picked up an electric guitar, he'd probably try to sound like this introduction. The pretentious folks who are into "modernism in music" will probably enjoy the introduction thoroughly and be quite angry that the rest of the song follows a tonal pattern. Therefore, this sound-byte has the possibility of appeal towards people who merely under the impression that they are pretentious, but are merely snotty folk possessing other individuals opinions that are no longer in vogue. You might be able to garner 13% of that 1% of the modernism community. However, one must be cautious at trying to garner +1s from the universities as postmodernism is becoming more mainstream amongst the leadership, as the bleating sheep are beginning to follow a few patterns of tonality once again (provided they are relative to a pertinent cultural development).

Personally, I liked some of it -- dissonant experimentation has it's place in my musical visions. Dissonance can actually possess a mathematical quality that can conjure a rather tense, ominous, horrid, frightening, abstract, or otherwise chaotic mood. For instance, some of the choral sectors of the 2001 Space Odyssey soundtrack possess modernism ideals that appeal to the surrealistic imagery of the ending sequences. Otherwise, the remainder of this out-of-date "musique concrète" goes in the waste bin.

Unfortunately, any dislike for this movement, or possibly this sound-clip, will be transformed into an ad-hominem attack on my intellect. That's to be expected, as I've sparred with individuals of this sort in the past who have dismissed my views as either clinging to traditionalism, or being grossly misinformed on musical development and the advant-garde strain of culture. To those disinterested in challenges from my ilk, I'll quote Rachmaninoff:

"The new kind of music seems to create not from the heart but from the head. Its composers think rather than feel. They have not the capacity to make their works exalt – they meditate, protest, analyze, reason, calculate and brood, but they do not exalt."
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:39:06 PM by Northern_Fist » Logged

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
- The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-85)
rp314

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:48:20 PM »

Unfortunately, any dislike for this movement, or possibly this sound-clip, will be transformed into an ad-hominem attack on my intellect.

No, no, no. Quite the contrary, thank you for listening to the piece and taking the time to post such a thorough review. Wink

Some of my most favorite music I quite disliked on first hearing it. Now, I'm not that much of a pompous windbag to assume that that will happen here but, once again, one does appreciate the feedback especially with so much effort. And if you liked any of it, well, you've been more generous than anyone else so far... Cheesy

richard
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:37:21 PM »

0:48 throughout the remainder of this clip sounded vaguely like music.

Since I don't play guitar, I have little background to critique this sound experiment.

Unfortunately, any dislike for this movement, or possibly this sound-clip, will be transformed into an ad-hominem attack on my intellect. That's to be expected, as I've sparred with individuals of this sort in the past who have dismissed my views as either clinging to traditionalism, or being grossly misinformed on musical development and the advant-garde strain of culture. To those disinterested in challenges from my ilk, I'll quote Rachmaninoff:

"The new kind of music seems to create not from the heart but from the head. Its composers think rather than feel. They have not the capacity to make their works exalt – they meditate, protest, analyze, reason, calculate and brood, but they do not exalt."

Well, I do play guitar, and if hanging the instrument upside-down from a light fixture and throwing doughnuts at it is going to get the sound I want, so be it. (I do draw the line at actually damaging the guitar...) For the record, I have yet to get a satisfactory performance from this method... Grin

For me, 3 questions come to mind when listening to a non-traditional approach to playing an instrument: Is it intentional? Is it a result of skillful manipulation of the instrument? Can the player reproduce the performance at will?
Similar questions come to mind when I see an artist throwing gobs of paint at a canvas. That said -
music is about exaltation. wOO   ........................play on................... Wink
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:44:25 PM by Oren » Logged

impablomations

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »

@Oren

as long as those doughnuts arent Jam filled you should be fine  Grin

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »

I will listen to anything once.  I’m an old school guitarist, thus this isn’t something that I enjoyed, however if YOU like it that is ALL that matters.

Having said that Pat Metheny has a CD out done entirely with digital distortion.  A friend of mine who is out of town this week has/had it.  If you are interested and can’t find it I’ll try to get the name of if for you.

Keep experimenting.

The older I get the better I was!
rp314

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:18:35 PM »

Having said that Pat Metheny has a CD out done entirely with digital distortion.  A friend of mine who is out of town this week has/had it.  If you are interested and can’t find it I’ll try to get the name of if for you.

Are you referring to his multi-CD recording with Derek Bailey? I have it although I haven't listened to it in quite a long time.

Sometimes these performances have a different impact when heard live, no? Derek Bailey, Eugene Chadbourne, Sonny Sharrock, Fred Frith are the type of guitarists that I have to admit I enjoyed seeing live yet don't listen to that much in recorded form.

Anyway, thanks for listening and commenting. I tend to avoid making too many explicatory (exculpatory? Cheesy) statements while folks are still voting over at KVR because I prefer to get reactions to what the individuals hear rather than what they "think" they're hearing. Wink I already made the mistake of replying to someone that it was done in one take without processing in Sonar. So it goes...

Richard

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

Well I hope that guitar is still alive  Grin
Since I was once part of the punk movement, tough it was a very long time ago, I do dig what you are doing
Haven't said that, we have a small club of (very good ) musicians here, so accept there comments as a listener. And I'm glad you post here, it brings something 'new' and 'non conventional' to this forum  Wink

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: