Kara-Moon Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:17:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Straight ahead jazz, new live mix  (Read 13307 times)
Jazzmammal

« on: June 11, 2007, 06:21:59 AM »

I'm a new member and read a few comments about people liking live stuff so here it is.  Fresh from a outdoor gig yesterday afternoon in Manhattan Beach, California.  I'm the pianist and also the recorder (no soundman or anyone to monitor the recording) so all I could do is set the levels low enough to avoid clipping and let it go.  This was done on an Akai DPS 16 HD recorder using SM57's on the drums and guitar and direct in for everything else.  The band is guitar, bass, drums, sax and keyboards and the tune is Monk's old classic Well you Needn't.  The players are not full time pro's, we all have regular day jobs and like to play whenever we can.  This is one of 3 or 4 combos I get called to play with and starting about 3 years ago, if I like the players I'm recording pretty much everything.  I didn't realize just how much fun it is to mix down a live gig.  I'm like a musical director god or something, the whole band is in my hands.  This is a preliminary mix with the usual outdoor problems like wind noise in the drum mic's and other stuff.  I transferred all the tracks into my PC and am doing the mixing in Adobe Audition.  Your comments are welcome.

Bob

* WellUNeednt_Prelim1.mp3 (4816.33 KB - downloaded 336 times.)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:16:24 AM »

Now this is jazz  Cool
Sound awfull cool
Good swing and you simply can hear that you guys are having fun doing this.

You have a great great solo chorus on those keys jazzmammal.

Thanks for sharing, I want more  Grin

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:02:26 PM »

Woow ! true live action, I like it !  Grin
Well done Jazzmammal

We all need some jazz sometimes  Wink

Cheers
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 07:48:08 PM »

I enjoyed this a lot. The sound is good, considering the constraints you were recording under. There's a great swing to the playing. I particularly liked the piano and the sax. Thanks for posting it.
Jazzmammal

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:54:07 PM »

Thanks a lot for the positive comments.  I try to have fun playing this stuff, it certainly isn't the money!  I have about 5 CD's worth of live material and don't want to turn this into Bob's live gig forum but I have another one in mind that I'll put up soon.

Bob
Jazzmammal

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 03:28:57 PM »

Here is the second one from the same gig 2 weeks ago.  This is from the 2nd set and I can tell the players are more settled in and the sax has much clearer signal than the first one.  He was more focused on staying in front of the mic and less wind noise too.  This tune is Calcutta Cutie by Horace Silver and we use it as am extended jam with long solos.  The uncut version is almost 12 minutes long so I had to cut it back a lot in order to make the MP3 a reasonable size to download.  I'm really pleased with the performances on this one considering this is basically a pickup band.  I've worked with the sax player a lot but the guitar, bass and drums are guys on the list to call based on availability and I think they did a great job.  Any comments about the mix, eq, stereo panning etc. are most welcome.

Bob

* CalcuttaCutie_Short.mp3 (6091.84 KB - downloaded 415 times.)
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 01:31:04 AM »

Hi Bob! And a big welcome!

I'm really pleased with the performances on this one considering this is basically a pickup band.  I've worked with the sax player a lot but the guitar, bass and drums are guys on the list to call based on availability and I think they did a great job. 
Its the age of the pick up band, I guess.

Day jobs or not, your all excellent muscians! The mix/sound is excellent considering its live. Absolutely sounds great and a joy to listen to.

Jazzmammal

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 05:24:36 AM »

Thanks for the comments, Fred.  Here in LA anyway pick up bands are the name of the game.  Like Gump said, ya never know whatcha gonna get but the players he knows are usually pretty decent.

Bob 
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 07:15:22 AM »

Bob,

Premium   Piano,   Pardner  Shocked

Oren.

Jazzmammal

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 07:26:52 AM »

Grin Grin That's a great way to post a message Oren, thanks. Cheesy

Bob
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »

Very nice job Bob.  Great job on the recording, organizing and especially your piano.
 Sounds like fun in the sun.  Everyone did great.  Cool stuff.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 05:22:30 PM »

Here in LA anyway pick up bands are the name of the game. 
it works great from what I hear
It's like a breath of fresh air, please keep on posting these tracks. I'm not a jazz-appreciator and I don't know much about it, technically speaking, but I enjoy this inspired playing
Thanks for sharing

Cheers
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 07:25:31 PM »

Thanks for the comments, Fred.  Here in LA anyway pick up bands are the name of the game.  Like Gump said, ya never know whatcha gonna get but the players he knows are usually pretty decent.

Bob 

Same here in the Sacramento area. I sit in ocasionally with a band pal of 35 years ago. He's still going strong. He books a gig and then books his band; goes down his list (in order of preference Wink) till he's got a band for that evening. Everybody knows the standards and its great fun, but I would think it more difficult to build something unique and special. However, your "guys" sound pretty darn good!!

magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 08:19:03 PM »

Hi jazz,

Wow! What a great piece. It grooves a lot!
I'm speaking about the first piece you uploaded.
The sound is very good, all musicians are really great.
As I am a jazz fan I digged it.
And I have to say I'm jealous coz I'm doing some jazz too  Roll Eyes
but I do it with a tracker  Grin
I dont play live  Embarrassed
Anyway, I dont play any instrument  Cheesy

Thanks to share!! I enjoyed.

bye

mag

Frenchy but chic
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »

Jazzmammal,

..now that was a grand way to start my day, thanks for posting that.

We're sure glad to have you here.

Wyatt

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: