Kara-Moon Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:36:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy Listening?  (Read 8180 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: July 23, 2007, 07:05:10 PM »

I tend to describe all my music as easy listen, but that could be a bit of a cop-out as I cant think what other genre to use. Apart from anything else I do cover a range of styles.

The tune I'd like opinions is one of my most recent and is called Lost (but never forgotten).

This started life as something to try out some new softsynth instruments I'd created, and had a rather frivolous title. As I developed it the tune gained a lot more depth and the title became somewhat a liability.

The whole project began to haunt me and I fiddled with it for a month or so, cleaning up timing and making a key change etc. but it wasn't till I had it playing in the background while watching the news on TV that everything just clicked.

Well hopefully I've got the attachment process correct!

* Lost.mp3 (4510.13 KB - downloaded 274 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 07:13:35 PM »

Yes you got the upload process right  Cool Grin

I wouldn't categorize you song in the 'Easy Listening' department.
It is way above the concept of this, it is a beautifull composition.
You used a couple of great sounds in this as background.
TBH it should even sound better if the lead melody would be played by a real instrument.

The good news is that we have the perfect guy for this here.
I hope Ofthewall reads this and chimes in, you'll be surprised what he can do with a tunes like this !

Great composition, I love it  Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 09:42:37 PM »

@kara.......
working on it !
 Wink
James
 Grin

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:06:58 PM »

Hi Folderol
Nice track, you put a lot of effort into writing good melodies, and it works good, you achieved a thick atmosphere with this. Nice composition indeed and I don't consider it exactly easy-listening but it's a bit more challenging than this.
Very well done

Cheers
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:40:12 PM »

Thanks guys for your comments. I can see I will have to try and find a more appropriate genre.

My composing pattern seems to be very stop-start and currently it's at stop Sad

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:01:43 PM »

Smiley
Well I've got to say that I love this one so much that I can't get the damn thing out of my head.  Angry
I may have a re-worked version up soon!

But, in the meantime, why don't you give us some others to compare it with?
 Grin
James

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 03:48:32 PM »

Thanks to Folderol I have this thing stuck firmly in my mind.  I am currently working on a guitar based reconstruction of the whole tune, but this will take some time.
 Undecided
In order to exorcise it from my system I have added a single penny-whistle to the original. (Thanks Will!)
 Cheesy
James

* LostWhistle.mp3 (6884.98 KB - downloaded 269 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:15:53 PM »

That's quite a compliment! Now if I could get all my music to do that I'd be extremely happy.

I'm not sure what else I should upload. I'm still a newbie so don't want to make the mistake of just expecting everyone to listen to my work without having taken the time to listen to others.

Adding the penny whistle gives the tune a distinct Irish flavour. I really hadn't expected that. I think you had a struggle in a few places. A lot of my melodies don't go where you expect them to! I do that deliberately, keeps the listeners awake Smiley

- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »

Wink
The little 'struggle', as you kindly put it, is that (as you will be aware having dabbled in the whistle) when you have a tune played on a 'D' tuned whistle where Cnat and C# follow each other there is always a wee bit of gymnastic dexterity of the fingers required!  Shocked  I'm afraid my arthritis makes this exercise a tad trickier than it should be.  Cry   But we try our best!
James

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 07:39:39 AM »

@James
If you have troubles playing something you have to solve it in the technology domain. Just play & record the tracks twice, one where you are sure  you have the first chord right and one where you have the second right. Then, in your audio editor just cut the wrong pieces and assemble the right ones. Believe me, this is not cheating, it basic studio work.

@folderol
Don't be shy, just post your music. You can learn a lot from comments from people.
And nobody bites here Smiley Believe me, I'm supervising Cheesy

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 09:38:03 PM »

Nice epic sounding instrumental. Solid compositon. As said some of the solo sounds are a bit too GM standard sounding.
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »

Thanks for your very positive comments everyone.

Nice epic sounding instrumental. Solid compositon. As said some of the solo sounds are a bit too GM standard sounding.

I think this will turn out to be one of those tunes I'll never actually 'finish' so it's quite likely that I'll change these for something better at some point.

- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: