Kara-Moon Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:55:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here in Second Life?  (Read 15790 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »

New developments...

I've sorted out how to stream music into SL (thanks to some very helpful friends there) and yesterday I did a test, streaming some mp3's of mine as well as playing live and according to the two people who helped me test it it sounded good and the connection was stable.

I've also been building some assets to play: some keyboards, a stage and such, so while I still want to do some testing it does seem like a virtual concert of myself and of course of 87PM is only a matter of time now!

Also known as Marc JXP
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »

Very cool Marc, you'll explain all of this in 2 weeks  Grin
Perhaps I'll sign up, you never know  Wink

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »

Did another test yesterday with several more people in another place in Second Life and had good reactions (quality and stability of the audio stream was ok) so this is going well...

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 04:38:08 PM »

... another test yesterday with several more people in another place in Second Life and had good reactions...

Extraordinary. You're developing a whole new potential audience for your music...in a place that doesn't really exist! Shocked

All commercial considerations aside, this "venue", or group of virtual venues, provides a pristine listening environment where each member of the audience chooses his/her own monitoring equipment, EQ, and levels. Plus, I feel that this type of "population" will be most receptive to synth-source music....unless there's a lo-fi club, or perhaps a crew of cyber-headbangers lurking in some dingy corner of the "Life"... Cheesy

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 09:06:07 AM »

You'd be amazed, Oren. I already found a Pink Floyd and Depeche mode club there and the musician that inspired me to do this whose concerts I've been attending (Dave Small, you can find him on MySpace too) is primarily a guitar player. So it's certainly not only synth oriented. I'm quite certain you can find venues for all kinds of music.

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 04:36:17 PM »

You'd be amazed, Oren.

I'm already amazed, Marc... Grin It's only a matter of time before I have a look around Second Life.

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »

Phew... Percy and I just concluded our second live gig in SL. On saturday it was just me playing and on sunday (today) we were both there. We did about the same tracks as on the KM live gig, which included a few covers but mainly our own music. I played for about 45 mins but today we went on for an hour. For a first performance turnout was quite good (avaraging to about ten simultaneous listeners. Response was very positive and have already led to invites for other gigs!

On the technical side, things went reasonably well, although we did have some trouble setting the SL place were we performed to receive the audio stream but that worked ok in the end. To tell a bit more about the setup: I used my desktop to host Winamp with a Shoutcast server plugin. I then rented a SL audio stream with NeoStream (and the funny thing is that I could do this in SL itself). This stream (you can rent streams for a set maximum number of listeners and a set period of time) is accessed by a simple URL and port number which you enter in your Shoutcast plugin. The Shoutcast plugin was then set to transmit the audio that entered the soundcard line in. For the actual music I had my Fantom synth and laptop with Kore 2 set up so the PC with SL running and the Shoutcast plugin was entirely seperate from the music system.

In SL, I had created a stage with keyboards and all to give a visual centerpoint for the music. After the land-owner in SL set his land to receive audio from my stream we could play.

It's really fun. You do get reactions from the crowd - a chat window allows them to react and you also hear things like their applause (well, a sound file consisting of applause if someone has this and triggers it). As for playing, it's about as stressful as any live playing I guess... Smiley

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 04:03:24 AM »

So very friggin' Matrix cool... Shocked wOO

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »