Kara-Moon Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio Myths workshop  (Read 17601 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 03:49:55 AM »

Here are a few of the oil paintings that I use for acoustic baffles around my recording/mixing area...

* Greece.JPG (687.56 KB, 1128x1380 - viewed 593 times.)

* Coast Scene.JPG (1121.28 KB, 1701x1413 - viewed 586 times.)

* Sunset.JPG (777.36 KB, 1503x1233 - viewed 596 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »

As Marc pointed out,frames with fabric(canvas in your case),is only going to help reduce the higher end frequencies and since you are working with a sub woofer-based system,you have an especially precarious sonic situation,my friend.

I came across this Ethan Winer video,which is a very eye opening & revealing instructional video! I'm not suggesting that you invest in Real Trap acoustic panels(very pricey)-but rather,this video does serve as a guide-line,as to how critical acoustic treatment really is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSX14geMw-c

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »

Another helpful vid;

http://www.realtraps.com/video_hearing.htm

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »

I just recently came across this website called AudiMute,which I am very excited about.All of their products are comprised of 100% recycled materials and are handmade in the U.S.!

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/acoustic-tube-traps-acoustic-bass-trap.aspx

A bit cheaper than Real Trap products and with many versatile options,in terms of buy-as-you-can-afford. Cool

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »

... since you are working with a sub woofer-based system,you have an especially precarious sonic situation,my friend.
I came across this Ethan Winer video,which is a very eye opening & revealing instructional video...

This is some good information, thoughtfully presented. I'll take some time with it, and get back to you.
Thank you, Thom! Afro

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »

Oren,

After conducting a more in depth study of the AudiMute website,I noticed something very peculiar about their acoustic performance charts.
I did a comparison between their standard 2' X 4'(2" thickness) panels and their 2' X 2'(4" thickness) bass traps.Both the standard and
bass trap panels have an absorption range of 125Hz to 4kHz...according to their charts...something is terribly wrong here. Roll Eyes

The AudiMute 2' X 4' panels are priced at $70 a piece and seem to be a practical option for absorbing upper bass,mid & high frequencies price-wise(as supposed to Real Trap's price of $179 for the same size panel),but as for frequencies below 125Hz,Real Trap panels are the way to go,when lower end bass taming is paramount.
Unfortunately though,one Real Trap "MiniTrap"(2' X 4') panel with a 4" thickness for effective bass trapping,is $249. Shocked

Real Trap as a company-in terms of experience & knowledge,seem to offer the most cost-effective acoustic treatment available in the market today,as they do have very proprietary designs and for low end treatment,I think they are a necessary choice.
They recommend at least 4 bass traps for all the corners of a room,which amounts to a grand total of $1,000....an investment of which I will eventually arrive to,but I don't think I will be prepared to bear that expense for quite a while for my living room situation. Undecided

I will check around for other companies to see what I can come up with......

By the way,I had phoned AudiMute earlier and I grilled a receptionist about their questionable audio charts & she did not have an answer for me,but that she would address my issues with tech support and call me tomorrow.....sounds like I will be hit with a bunch of snake oil tomorrow. Roll Eyes

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 01:58:02 AM »

...sounds like I will be hit with a bunch of snake oil tomorrow.

Regardless, let us know what they have to say.

An old-time audio guy once recommended shelves as bass traps.

My thought is that building bass traps (provided the proper dimensions could be found) might be the most cost-effective approach.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 02:31:40 AM »

Nevermind AudiMute....as I discovered Acoustimac,courtesy of the ad banner right here on the K-M forum! Hands down,the most impressive specs & the cheapest prices I could find.
The icing on the cake,is that they also have the best color selection. Cool  http://www.acoustimacfaq.com/acoustimac-faq-cats/panels-baffles-a-bass-traps-faq.html
Their bass traps range anywhere from $59 to & $129 a piece and my favorite,is the moss green corner bass trap measuring 48" X 24" X 4" for $99.95....that's a lot of coverage for just under a $100!! wOO
Bass trap placement from floor to ceiling is ideal-but to start,I'll go with 2 of these puppies for my living room and by the way,their bass traps absorb down to 40Hz,which is ideal for most applications.

As for their mid/high frequency panels,their prices start at only $24 per panel...it doesn't get any better than this,as at these prices,you need not bother with homemade panels! Cheesy

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 02:57:02 AM »

For those who insist on doing it themselves to save some dough,Acoustimac also provides all of the materials necessary to do it yourself! Grin

http://www.acoustimac.com/home/diy-acoustics-topmenu-21.html

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 03:16:38 AM »

...sounds like I will be hit with a bunch of snake oil tomorrow.

An old-time audio guy once recommended shelves as bass traps.

Shelves will act as a diffuser,by redirecting the sound waves....but since low frequency waves are omni-directional,diffusion alone,is not effective without absorption as well.
Since diffusion-type objects such as shelves do not "trap" the bass,they do not belong in the corners of a room and in fact,any sort of diffusers should be placed along the wall directly opposite of where the monitors are situated.

Another thing to consider also,is that shape & depth of a shelf-along with whatever objects sit on that shelf,will determine what bass frequencies will be redirected.
That being said,you won't know what bass frequencies you're redirecting, unless you conduct your own audio tests using a microphone,along with some room calibration software.
The main function of diffusion,is to help tame bass resonances in conjunction with absorption panels,so that bass resonances are controlled without removing all of the room ambiance.

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »

Since diffusion-type objects such as shelves do not "trap" the bass,they do not belong in the corners of a room and in fact,any sort of diffusers should be placed along the wall directly opposite of where the monitors are situated.
The main function of diffusion,is to help tame bass resonances in conjunction with absorption panels,so that bass resonances are controlled without removing all of the room ambiance.

Back in the early '80s, a little rock band called Cain rehearsed and recorded in an abandoned turkey barn. For absorption and deflection we deployed bales of straw, burlap sacks, and old wooden packing crates around the recording area. Granted, we had no clue how to go about it, but the environment ended up being just about right - a surprising balance of controlled room ambience.
This "acoustic treatment" was accomplished with a bit of luck, and a lot of trial and error... Roll Eyes

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 01:35:01 AM »

Burlap sacks & straw,certainly are far more effective than a shelf. Grin A brother of a friend of mine-back in the 80's,used egg cartons from floor to ceiling...which really did almost nothing acoustically,not to mention that it's a 5 star fire hazard! Shocked

By the way,AudiMute never got back to me....as I suspected they wouldn't. Roll Eyes It's inconsequential at this point,but I hate to think of all of the naive novices out there,being falsely lured into their overpriced products. Angry
AudiMute's insulation is merely recycled newspaper & cotton-which is mildly effective to a point-but for what they charge,it's a scam.

Acoustimac uses rock-wool & fiberglass-which is not only more effective,but their products are far cheaper as well.

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 03:28:32 AM »

Burlap sacks & straw,certainly are far more effective than a shelf. 
Acoustimac uses rock-wool & fiberglass-which is not only more effective,but their products are far cheaper as well
This is a cool thread, because room treatments for recording/mixing/mastering are critical to the success of a project.
Because I work in my living space, the idea of using furniture, rugs, pillows, and wall decorations as acoustic implements is attractive. I do miss that old turkey barn...

Alienz

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »

Dont know if this has been posted before, there's a similar discussion in a video on this site, dealing with subjects like sample and bit rate. Quite a long vid but i thought you guys might find it interesting.

http://www.philoctetes.org/past_programs/deep_listening_why_audio_quality_matters

Gerard
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 02:21:27 AM »

...I thought you guys might find it interesting.
http://www.philoctetes.org/past_programs/deep_listening_why_audio_quality_matters
Gerard

This looks good! I'll save it until there is time to pay close attention... Afro Thanks!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: