Kara-Moon Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:49:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rochester NY - Snow capitol of US large cities  (Read 2887 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: December 13, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »

I found this to be interesting http://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/snowiest-cities.php#.TudfjfGCkWI.email

On average Rochester NY get more snow per year than any other large US city.  I’m surprised that Syracuse NY is not on the list!  It must not be labeled a large city. Syracuse has been known to get more snow in a given year that either Rochester or Buffalo.  In fact all three cities keep track of who is ahead in snow depth per month and year.

How do these stats compare to some of my Canadian and European friends?

PS – no wonder my back is always sore from shoveling!

The older I get the better I was!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »

The statistics are not clear up here, because only the relatively old "southern" regions have long-term weather records. In the north, most days it is too cold to snow, but any that does fall, stays. So over a long winter, the accumulation is quite dramatic, in spite of the fact that not much snowfall actually occurred.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it... Grin

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »

In the UK weather stats are a waste of time because ours is so damn variable!

The last two winters have seen heavy early snowfalls along with rapid freeze/thaw cycles that quickly destroy our (not very well maintained) road surfaces.

This year we've only had a few quite mild frosts so far, and those only recently.

On the other hand, a few hundred miles north for here is a totally different story  Huh

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: