Kara-Moon Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:23:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Always coming home  (Read 9443 times)
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« on: October 16, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »

A piece inspired by a train journey back to the town where I grew up.

http://www.kara-moon.com/download_song.php?download_id=4419
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 08:25:32 PM »

This is a very original piece of work, and also very different to what I'm used to hearing Smiley

I suppose one could describe it as neo-classical.

How did you get those string effects? They are very realistic, and the recording is very clean.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »

Yes i agree, this is very good string arranging
Neo classical is an interesting description for the style.
Would be great music for a new Zelda game  Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:02:38 PM »

Thanks for listening, guys - I'm glad you liked it.

I like the term "neo-classical" - wonder if it's already used for a style of music.

Folderol, the strings were done using Garritan Personal Orchestra - a very nice piece of software which I'm slowly learning to use.
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:40:50 PM »

F.M.,

This is a very pretty melody,but I think it's really screaming for a ambient-like bass & drum track to really round it out,because it feels as though the chord progressions where written for such a compostion.

Perhaps with a rythym track that symbolizes the rythym of a train in motion?
That is what plays out in my mind when I listen to your piece.

Is this piece an idea,or a finished product?If this is a piece that you are going to add to,it's off to a fantastic beginning. Cool

Thom

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 06:02:04 PM »

This is a very original piece of work, and also very different to what I'm used to hearing Smiley

I suppose one could describe it as neo-classical.

How did you get those string effects? They are very realistic, and the recording is very clean.

Yes, this is a nice track. I like the classical arrangements and the realism of sounds and parts.
I have to agree there's nothing recalling the train rolling, but reading your words I perceived the feel of coming back to the previous hometown

Cheers
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:24:19 PM »

Thanks for listening Thom and Laguna - I'm glad you liked it.

...but I think it's really screaming for a ambient-like bass & drum track to really round it out

I hadn't thought of bass and drums on the song, but it's quite an intriguing idea. I'm not skilled enough at drum programming to carry it off, but would be happy if anyone else was interested in trying it...
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 08:18:24 PM »

Very nice piece FM Really enjoyed it. I can hear you're getting skilled at using GPO. I should probably get a closer look at it myself. Sounds very realistic.

For what it's worth;I don't agree at all with Elwood about adding ambient bass and drums. It would totally ruin the feel you've got going now. Since the tune has nothing to do with the train in question but with the feeling of returning home.
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 08:31:05 PM »

Interesting discussion: I would add bass & drum. I'm a fann of songs where old and new sounds come together. So I would try it out... Well, I hope somebody will give it a try...

Anyway, FM, you have a great feeling for melody. Everytime I hear your music, I listen to it again and I never get borred. An that's a complement !  Wink
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 10:19:54 PM »

I agree, it's a lovely composition and the instrumentation is first-class.
To join the argument, my first instinct was to imagine a 'picked' acoustic guitar to fill out the rhythm section and a flute or whistle playing a harmony line. The overall sound, to my old ears, is very celtic influenced. I like the 'neo-classical' tag.
 Wink
James

tem

tem

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 06:19:44 PM »

Some different ideas have been written, I like it as it is, the back strings might pace longer measures (legato?) ...  just another idea. To me, it is a journey on a train slowly moving along a pastoral country, on the way home, with an anticipation of good old days.

Thanks for sharing !
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:21:18 PM by tem » Logged
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »

Fourth Mans..

Really nice song..it works for me.

Wyatt

FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:01:11 PM »

Anyway, FM, you have a great feeling for melody. Everytime I hear your music, I listen to it again and I never get borred. An that's a complement !  Wink

Thanks, Moon - that means a lot!

And thanks to everyone else for their positive comments and ideas. I like the piece as it is but also think it might work well with Thom's ambient drums or with James's celtic touches - luckily there's room in music for lots of different approaches.  Smiley
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 08:15:40 AM »

This style of composition would, in classical terms, be called an "adagio", and the  performance reminds me of chamber music featuring a string quartet or quintet. In this context it is complete in every way.
Even the production style sounds like a double bass, cello, viola, and violin playing in a small concert environment.

Think "Tomaso Albinoni - Les Adagios"

Very cool, Fourth Mansions!

Oren.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 08:53:31 AM by Oren » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: