Kara-Moon Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:19:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The way of our ancestors  (Read 3625 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: March 29, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »

Sunken tracks like the one here (in Brede High Wood) take thousands of years to get like this. Think of how many pairs of feet, horses hooves and farm animals have hit this ground to wear away soil and subsoil - and in this case even chalk base rock.

Although many of these have fallen out of use in the last couple of hundred years, most, like this one, are still passable and I find I get a great sense of 'belonging' when walking them.

Some people try to claim these are dried up stream courses. Not so. A stream will create a V shaped cut. Only many feet and glaciers create U shaped ones, and this is a little small for a glacier Smiley Also, again like may other ancient paths and drove roads, this goes diagonally across a hillside so that the climb is not too steep for the walkers. Water would have cut a much more direct line.

I was in these woods on Wednesday, enjoying this path and some more modern ones. Some of the modern ones are believed to have been created by the Iron Age people, and used for transporting timber for the primitive furnaces.

Oh, and for a sense of scale, I'm nearly 6ft tall, and I can walk under that fallen tree in the foreground. With my hand raised, I slap it just below the centre.

* 07.JPG (653.77 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 704 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:16:31 AM »

Now, that's a PATH! Shocked

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »

Cool
If I were you I would take a portable keyboard out there and record what inspires you, in that wonderful ambience.  Cool

Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »

Cool
If I were you I would take a portable keyboard out there and record what inspires you, in that wonderful ambience.  Cool

Wink
James
Unfortunately I no long have my piano accordion Wink

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:50 AM »

Never mind taking an instrument out there for inspiration...not necessary..since that scenery will stick with you long after you've left that place! Cool

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: