Kara-Moon Forum
May 16, 2024, 11:52:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Elv's Red Planet(cover)  (Read 11026 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: September 23, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »

Since I was having a case of writer's block,I decided to have some fun with one of Elv's old tunes,but also,I wanted to make improvements on the mix with regard to clarity & balance and to also bring up the overall volume to where it should be(his song was about half the volume of most posts here).

In addition to all this,I also extended the track length by about a minute & added some more special effects.

This cover is sort a tribute to Elv,being that his song is a brilliant arrangement and also to express that I miss his presence on this forum. Sad

Hope you enjoy this rendition. Smiley

Thom

* Red Planet(cover)MP3.mp3 (4719.96 KB - downloaded 256 times.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:14:54 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:07:09 PM »

Elv's work is hard to improve on (although I've noticed nearly all his work is at lower volume) but you've done a very creditable job here, adding extra dimensions without 'taking over' the work  Cool

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »

Good cover work Thom, very interesting interpretation of the song and a clear mix.
Although it is a cover you've arranged it in a your very distinguish style which is highly recognisable.

Realy a shame Elv doesn't come here anymore...

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »

Will,

I agree,it is definately hard to improve on Elv's work & really,the mix was'nt really a problem at all,but yeah,the volume was a big issue-especially when you compile a bunch of songs together on one cd!

His song is quite unique & it was a great pleasure covering it. Cheesy

Thanks for your kind review of this rendition. Cool

Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »

Good cover work Thom, very interesting interpretation of the song and a clear mix.

You took something good, and made it better. Once again I find myself having no clue as to how you did it... Embarrassed wOO

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »

Kara,

A very eloquently laid out review & a very kind one too-thank you! Cool

Elv & I never did a collab on my "Icelandic" song,because there was a compatibility issue with my music files from my Korg,and that was the last I had heard from him.

I no longer have his e-mail address,but I suppose that does not matter,as if he wanted to keep in touch,he would have done so through this forum.

I'm not bitter towards him at all,because I don't know his circumstances-I just wish him well & I hope he'll come back around some time.

Everything changes,people come & go & sometimes come back around...so I guess I'll just have to change into change and roll with it.

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »

Oren,

An equally kind review once again...I'm overwhelmed & grateful-thanks a mint! Cool

Thom

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 09:25:18 AM »

Excellent version, I like Elv's music since it has an originality of its own, and your renditions sounds really good and has a bit of both worlds that makes it interesting and enjoyable to listen.
Well done Elw  Grin ... I mean Thom

Cheers
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 02:41:41 PM »

This is excellent Thom wOO

Great mix, great lead work with an excellent backing soundscape.

I’m not familiar with Elv so I can’t comment on how this version is compared to the original however I though this was excellent and ready for airplay IMHO.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

L.R.,

Thanks to the amazing amount of talent & advice on this forum-it has forged me into a better musician in terms of performance & mixing ablities & has you have all given me a tremendous amount of inspiration as well.
All that being said,I may not have accomplished this on my own-or at least not in the near future(as it were).
So just call me ElKaMoOrLaSo-wood! Grin

Thanks alot for the nice comments! Cool

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »

Mario,

Thanks for the comprehensive & kind review-much appreciated! Cool...
...ready for airplay?I'd have to consult with Elv on that one for his permission! Grin

If you're interested,you can do a search on Elv to find the original song...if you do,you'll have to crank up your speakers,because the volume is very low....but I am now having the same problem with volumes,since I have been exporting my music directly from my Zoom recorder.
I utilized the "normalize function" to boost the volume as Kara suggested,but to no avail. Huh
Computers are an incredible pain in the *ss when you don't know what you're doing & the worst part is,the intermediate to seasoned pc user does not seem to understand why I have trouble with such simple menu functions...but I'll try to articulate my current problem the best I can;

I used the "Switch" converter software to normalize,because when I tried to execute the same action in the Audacity menu,the drop menu was not highlighted,so I could not click on the function I needed to. Huh

Anyhow,thanks for the comments. Smiley

-Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »

I used the "Switch" converter software to normalize,because when I tried to execute the same action in the Audacity menu,the drop menu was not highlighted,so I could not click on the function I needed to. Huh

Anyhow,thanks for the comments. Smiley

-Thom

Lazy solution

In audacity, double click on the divider between the left and right channels to highlight the whole track. Then go to Effect>Amplify and set the level to whatever you want in dB (from -number to 0)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »

Thanks Will-I'll give it a go! Smiley

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »

..when I tried to execute the same action in the Audacity menu,the drop menu was not highlighted,so I could not click on the function I needed to. Huh

Click on the track in Audacity, hold that left mouse button down, and sweep it across that portion of the track you want to affect. (in this case, the whole track) The track, or track portion will be highlighted. Then drop down yer menu, and it will be operational.

Audacity is a fabulous tool - in experienced hands it can be a complete digital audio workstation. Have a listen to songs from Pink Jimi Photon Pocius... recorded, mixed, and mastered in Audacity, And it sounds GOOD.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »

Oren,

Your instructions worked well-thank you! 8)However though,there's another problem that still exists...I still have yet to figure out how to import the LAME code,as I cannot determine what I am doing wrong. Huh

I sent the amplified version of the song to Switch to convert it,but the volume remained just as low in volume. Huh

I really need to nail down this LAME code procedure,so I can do the entire project in one area.

Thanks,

Thom

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: