Kara-Moon Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:59:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Back In Harness  (Read 16384 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: December 14, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »

Well I think my 'dry' spell has been broken again Smiley but only a week before my holiday  Huh

At around 2am today I woke up with a melody running round in my head. I know from experience it's quite pointless trying to get back to sleep when that happens, so I shucked on a dressing gown, switched on the DAW and made a cup of black coffee. The second cup of coffee was about 5am, and dawn had well and truly broken by the time I stopped.

Half a sleep I managed to stagger round the house doing all the normal Sunday stuff, and by Noon actually felt awake enough to get the shopping for the week - don't think I forgot anything. Then it was back home for 40 winks on the sofa.

I deliberately kept away from the DAW (although it was still on) and even managed to catch up a bit on KM, KVR & LAU stuff a bit. Finally about a couple of hours ago I had a look and listen to what I'd done.

I think it has quite a long way to go yet, but as they say in the building trade, it's structurally sound Cheesy

I doubt I'll get much more done before I go away, but, as usual comments and suggestions are welcome.

* In_Search_Of_The_Lost_Tribes.ogg (5513.54 KB - downloaded 275 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 11:47:23 PM »

Will,

Music is an conduit to someone's soul & this piece really displays the depths of you very well. Smiley
A sweet melancholy mood...almost heart-breaking....makes me reflect on my own mortality..but it's a good thing,as history is so important to recognize,as it's forged all of us into who we are. Kiss
I guess the first suggestion I would make,would be to tighten up the arrangement(timing wise),& apart from that,I think that this song could benefit a bit with a rhythm track(not necessarily drums),just something like a arrogated sound...something to signify more,the title of the song.
Perhaps a very minimal percussion track,might work as well...particularly an ethnic sound set.

Very pretty song...look forward to the end result. Cheesy

-Thom

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:01:32 AM »

Beautifull  Cool

Now to be honnest, I don't agree with Thom, I wouldn't tighten it up, the loose timing is part of the charm of this song and makes it great.

What else does it need ? Hard to say, does it need anything else ? I'm not sure, for some styles I like minimalistic and this is one of them.
You could give it  to James, he could do some whistle magic on it  Grin

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 03:41:08 PM »

Will, what a beautiful piece of music

I love this as is.  I would not change a thing.  The lead line was simply fantastic and the chord progression and chosen tones were spot on.  IMHO I think anything added to this may distract from what you have now.  You can leave on holiday knowing you have uploaded another winner wOO

PS – have a safe and happy holiday

The older I get the better I was!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 04:34:31 PM »

(bringing up that bass track in the mix a bit would lend a more structured feel, and also provide a percussive element....those of us who like the song as-is would be happy, as would those of us who are looking for more articulation... Kiss)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:36:33 PM by Oren » Logged

kuguar

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 05:52:43 PM »

It is a good work. Nothing to say more.
If you need some suggestions ,i would make high melody tones a little bit more soft
Kuguar
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 05:31:38 PM by kuguar » Logged
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 10:00:31 PM »

Thanks everyone for some extremely thoughtful and kind comments. I'll leave this exactly as it is for now, then look at it again when I get back, with your ideas in mind. I wouldn't have time to do anything this week in any case.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »

This is SO beautiful .....

I think I may just have something for you by the time you get back.  Cool

Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »

Thanks a lot James. I was rather hoping you would pick up the batton Wink

Now I know I said I was going to leave this until after I got back but in the first place, I've had two days where I've got home from work very early (just after lunch) and in the second place the melody simply would not get out of my head Shocked so I've made some careful adjustments.

I've reduced the reverb on the arpeggios so they are clearer, faded them in at the start and extended them a couple of bars at the end so the tune doesn't finish quite so abruptly. I've also made them sort of drift in and out more.

I've made the bass more defined. I didn't want to make it louder though, so I added an extra 2nd harmonic

Finally I changed just one critical chord in the last repeat phase.

I thought about some light percussion, but think it really would overload the delicacy of the tune.

* In_Search_Of_The_Lost_Tribes_2.ogg (5654.97 KB - downloaded 260 times.)

- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 02:09:39 PM »

I can see why you said the melody would not get out of your head..

..it's not getting out of mine either.

Nice job with that subtle bass boost.

Cool

Wyatt

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »

Thanks mate.

Glad you like it.

P.S.
OK, you can stop humming it now Grin

- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

Absolutely beautifulwOO wOO wOO

Everything is perfect   wOO

It’s a keeper

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »

Thanks again Mario Smiley

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »

... I've made some careful adjustments.

This is one tune where "berserk" might not cut, when making adjustments...

Nicely done!

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 08:54:26 PM »

This is excellent Will
it has a very nice epic feel (a bit sad as well)
I agree it doesn't need drums or percussion
Well done

Cheers
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: