Kara-Moon Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:30:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Falling Stars  (Read 21842 times)
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 20, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »

Falling Stars..where do they go?

More 'way too early' morning music.

Cool

Wyatt

* Falling Stars .mp3 (3957.77 KB - downloaded 285 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 02:49:51 PM »

Wyatt,

Things were off to a great start with the arpeggio intro,but then when the meat of the song came in..well..it sounded like two radios in the same room tuned into different radio stations.

The BPM's between the two sound way off.I would like to suggest that you establish even tempos among the two first,before you do anything else.

I think this evocative sound-scape is worth tinkering with and ironing out.

-Thom

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »

Thom..

According to my quantize button, they are the same tempo..

..all midi tracks are set to 112bpm.

I do have a tendency to gravitate to odd rhythms though.   Tongue

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Cool

Wyatt
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:25:22 PM by Wyatt » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »

Wow....yeah...step sequencers do have some quirky beats to them...it certainly threw off my perception of the tempo rates. Huh

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »

...well..it sounded like two radios in the same room tuned into different radio stations...

I agree with Thom about the beats, but somehow they manage to convey a sense of mystery.
I don't pretend to understand it, but it works.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 04:07:48 PM »

Yeah..for  moment..after Thoms comment, I had a listen, and I thought I heard a place, fairly early on,  that might have been improved by  letting one track have a wee bit of a break for a few bars..but then I couldn't find that spot again..

..which brings up an interesting point:

I do like elements that help my brain to unplug, but it isn't too difficult, for me, to train myself to be able to hear some really odd shite.   Cheesy

I know I have been waaay,
(yes, three 'a's..so you know it was on purpose), guilty of this..Trouble is you can't expect your audience to train themselves to like it. Tongue

> sproingy eyeball thing goes here <

Thanks fellers,

Cool

Wyatt
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:44:46 PM by Wyatt » Logged

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 05:49:24 PM »

Wyatt I like this one wOO

I also like odd and complex rhythms and this song certainly has those elements; note that I also like free form and progressive jazz. This is definitely a thinking man’s song and one that you may have to hear more than to get all of the intricate parts.  This is also a type of song that has limited appeal. Some will hate it, some will love it and some will stop listening after only a few seconds.

Me, I listened to it twice now.  The second time to get the marker where I though there was a rhythm conflict, however I did hear it the second time through.  That’s a sign of a good song when you can hear something different on the second listen.
At least I hope that’s it otherwise I’m just a nut case

PS – If you are old enough you would know where the Falling Stars go.  You catch them and put them in your pocket

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »

I really like this. A great fun piece. Grin

One of the things I like about this sort of thing is that not only is there a varied rhythm pattern and melody content, but the closeness (for want of a better term) means that you can easily hear 'phantom' rhythms and melodies - and these are slightly different each time you listen Cool

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »

I agree with Thom about the beats, but somehow they manage to convey a sense of mystery.
I don't pretend to understand it, but it works.

Thanks man..I appreciate you take on it. I can't say that I understand it, but once in a while I see an opportunity to stretch the envelope and can't resist giving things a little push.  Tongue

This is also a type of song that has limited appeal. Some will hate it, some will love it and some will stop listening after only a few seconds.

Yeah, I have a couple other ones like that, too.  Cheesy

Me, I listened to it twice now.  The second time to get the marker where I though there was a rhythm conflict, however I did hear it the second time through.  

I'm going to have another look at this one now that I have a quiet moment.

PS – If you are old enough you would know where the Falling Stars go.  You catch them and put them in your pocket

Yeah I remember well..

I really like this. A great fun piece. Grin

One of the things I like about this sort of thing is that not only is there a varied rhythm pattern and melody content, but the closeness (for want of a better term) means that you can easily hear 'phantom' rhythms and melodies - and these are slightly different each time you listen Cool

Thanks for your comments Will..I really like intricate rhythmic interplay. Every once in a while I get sucked into the vortex.   Cheesy

Cool

Wyatt

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:01:42 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »

New version..

Thanks for all your comments. Inspired me to go back to this with a fresh ear, and I made quite a lot of changes this morning. I think it is easier to hear now.

The dark hours before the sun comes up are so quiet and relaxing..definitely time well wasted.

Cool

Wyatt

* Falling Stars 2.mp3 (4712.66 KB - downloaded 283 times.)

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »

This is a completely different song now, but that was your intent wasn’t it?

This is a very good version.  This will probably be better liked than the original, i.e. no very complicated rhythms.  I like the version also.

I’m trying to decide which version I like best and so far it’s a tie. So four thumbs up, two for each song, and into my keeper folder they both go.

Very good work here Wyatt.

The older I get the better I was!
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »

This is a completely different song now, but that was your intent wasn’t it?

This is a very good version.  This will probably be better liked than the original, i.e. no very complicated rhythms.  I like the version also.

I’m trying to decide which version I like best and so far it’s a tie. So four thumbs up, two for each song, and into my keeper folder they both go.

Very good work here Wyatt.

I'm happy you liked them both..that's really cool.

I tried to get a little less overlap on certain rhythms. Once I dug into it, it started taking on a life of its own.   Cheesy

Thanks for your comments, Mario. Much appreciated.

Cool

Wyatt

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »

Oh dear. Decisions.

I used to know I was undecided, but now I'm not so sure Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »

Oh dear. Decisions.

I used to know I was undecided, but now I'm not so sure Cheesy
  Tongue   Cheesy   Kiss

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 05:56:15 PM »

Wyatt,

The first 55 seconds sounds great-loved it,but then the delay goes wild again and then clears up at 1:14.
Then gets wild again at 1:40 and clears up at around 1:50 and then again at 2:17 it gets wild again and clears up at 2:31.

Everything's fine after that and then it starts up again at 3:04There's an overall improvement over the original version,but this intermitten entanglement is very odd.

I realize that what you are trying to achieve is very challenging and even though I do a lot of midi sequencing on Reason,I still don't have a lot of it figured out yet and aligning delay times & step times with the overall tempo rate,requires an enormous amount of tinkering & precise calculations sometimes.

If I may,I would like to do a collab with you,so that I may introduce some of my ideas.I don't intend on replacing what you've done,but I would like to come up with a variation of your work,because I am enamored by your creation and I would like to have fun with your tracks & see what develops....are you game?
If so-that would be great,because I have nothing hot going on now & your song has the inspiration I need to spin out some ideas. Cool

-Thom

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: