Kara-Moon Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:19:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lida Rose  (Read 7170 times)
SLD Music

« on: June 08, 2011, 02:41:29 AM »

Hey all.  New guy here.  Thought I'd offer up something for you all to laugh at.

This is a cover of the barbershop standard "Lida Rose" from The Music Man by Meredith Wilson.  It was my very first project when I (relatively recently) rejoined the world of music, this time on the computer.  Looking back on it, this was very ambitious of me to attempt, actually, but since I knew next to nothing about MIDI at the time, I felt I better leave the instrumentation for later.  Smiley  I started from scratch with a vertical learning curve on the software and equipment, and since I wasn't happy with the musical arrangement I bought from MusicNotes, I ended up just transcribing the arrangement I liked by ear, making the process even longer than it would have otherwise been.  

Anyway, all parts are sung by me.  So... there it is.  Please be gentle, I know there are issues with it.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 05:04:35 AM by SLD Music » Logged
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:02:41 AM »

No issues to speak of here....very impressive,as it certainly tops any other vocalists that have ever graced this forum! Cheesy I am a bit curious though,as to the amount of reverb implemented....seems to be more than necessary...unless of course you were out to emulate the sound of a barbershop quartet in a cathedral. Grin

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:10:18 AM »

Excellent  Grin

It's always a pleasure to listen to 'good' vocals. (said from the standpoint of a 'not-so-good' vocalist) Embarrassed

Wink
James

SLD Music

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »

Thank you guys very much for listening, and for the nice comments.

I think the reverb amount was a function of a few things:  1)  I was new to it and didn't know what I was doing.  Smiley  and 2) I was really having a bit of trouble getting the mix to blend well--at least I thought so.  So that little extra reverb seemed to help even it all out a bit.  Probably better ways to do it, and I would know more now, but eh... there it is.  Smiley

There's also my own hang up of wanting perfection in my vocal takes, and besides doing a LOT of them, I always want to hide the bad stuff as much as I can.  That might have been a factor too.

Anyway, it's great to know that you thought it was too much.  It'll help me tone it down in future productions.

Scott
Azell

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »

wOO bravo pour chanter chaque voix! Je trouve cela très bien. Je sais que c'est assez difficile car je l'ai déjà fait plusieurs fois lorsque je dirigeais ma chorale. Excellente voix, encore bravo
wOO bravo each voice to sing! I find it very well. I know it's pretty difficult because I've done several times when I directed my choir. Excellent voice, bravo again
Azell

Kara pour toujours
SLD Music

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »

Thank you very much for the nice comments, Azell!

Merci beaucoup pour les commentaires sympathiques, Azell!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:43:08 PM »

... It was my very first project when I (relatively recently) rejoined the world of music, this time on the computer.  Looking back on it, this was very ambitious of me to attempt...
Ambitious, indeed, but an unqualified success.   
The reverb reminds me of some of the old barbershop productions that that were, in fact, recorded in a large hall into a single microphone - hence, a lot of room ambience(reverb).

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »

This is very, very good. Very tight singing but not at all rigid, and retaining real feeling.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
SLD Music

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »

Oren and Folderol,

Thank you both, again, for the nice comments.

This is very, very good. Very tight singing but not at all rigid, and retaining real feeling.

Thank you for saying this!  You made my day, Folderol.  Smiley  This was really the hardest thing to accomplish in doing this song, and although it's not as full of "feeling" as I would have liked, I did my best to infuse what I could while still singing in such a way that would be conducive to the choir sound--made even more difficult by the fact that I had no choir-mates to actually sing with.  Heh.  I had to define the speed, rhythm, beats and cadences explicitly and precisely before I laid down the tracks, otherwise it would have all fallen apart. 

Thanks again, everyone.  I'll post another one I did early on (when I finally started working with MIDI) soon.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »

It's all been said wOO

It does indeed sound like a barbershop quintet singing into one mic - excellent

Two thumbs up!

The older I get the better I was!
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »

Wow - lovely bit of harmony singing! You've got an amazing vocal range!

Also known as Marc JXP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: