Kara-Moon Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:21:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu Studio 8.10 released with a faulty real-time kernel.  (Read 8114 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: April 19, 2009, 04:14:06 AM »

After an extended time mastering with Audacity, I returned to some projects recorded and mixed in Ardour...and it would not work. Neither would JACK.

I had upgraded to Ubuntu Studio version 8.10 (from 8.04) since my last Ardour session, and have, since then, found a web announcement from Ubuntu stating that version 8.10 was released without a functional real-time kernel, and "for those of you who need a real-time kernel, please remain with version 8.04 until a functional kernel is made available".

Now I have to back up all my files, wipe the drive, and re-format with the old operating system.

I'm thinking I should have gone with 64 Studio,,,, Roll Eyes

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:33:26 AM »

Noooo.

This should not be necessary (though I'm a 64studio user myself)

Firstly, most linux distros are very conservative. If you rumage around in /boot you should see the old rt image still there. If it is you can (as root) edit /boot/grub/menu.lst so that the topmost entry points to that.

Secondly, I don't know about ubuntu, but almost all distros create a separate /home partition, in which case a re-install can be done by manually setting the partitions to be the same, and telling the install process to NOT reformat /home.

Mind you {cough} everyone regularly backs up their work don't they {cough}

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:28:08 AM »

... but almost all distros create a separate /home partition, in which case a re-install can be done by manually setting the partitions to be the same, and telling the install process to NOT reformat /home.
Mind you {cough} everyone regularly backs up their work don't they {cough}

Wink............oh yes, we do! This will be only a minor pain in zee lower regions, methinks. Thanks for the note, Will!

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »

The data backup and re-load of Ubuntu Studio 8.04.1 is complete. Working fine................. Smiley

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:28:04 PM »

Cool  Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:22:42 PM »

+ Thumb

Cool

Wyatt

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:44:21 AM »

Thanks, Kara and Wyatt.

With Linux, there are no viruses, but one does have to deal with programming oversights and operator error Shocked Grin

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »

{ahem}

'Studies have revealed that 90% of computer problems are caused by two things, the first of which is the assumption it is the computer that is at fault'

Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:22:33 PM »

'Studies have revealed that 90% of computer problems are caused by two things, the first of which is the assumption it is the computer that is at fault'

...or my wife, or the cat.... always messing with my stuff... Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: