Kara-Moon Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:36:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Here we go again... .. .  (Read 8864 times)
Max el Belga
Kara-Moon-Collective

« on: November 04, 2007, 02:42:40 PM »

...this one is very special... Wink

Wyatt just mailed me, asking for more explication on my work. 
Mostly, after some intense days of concentrated manipulating of a song Iīm too saturated to talk about it... Huh

This time itīs somewhat different.

Most of my thingies are based on a fascination I have for a sound, lick, arrangement, style, person, etc...
Sooner or later follows a song...

I liked a lot the chord-lick kind of stuff the Kinks used to make.  Another band that uses this technique is AC-DC.  I donīt like them, but they have one of the best rhytm guitarists Iīve known.
That guy plays so sharp as if heīs playing with a razor blade !   Cool

You guessed it : Iīve made a song based on such kind of licks.

It works of course !!!

But, hélaaas, yesterday evening, Iīve heared the lick on TV in a sports interludium... Huh

(Inconsious) Plagiarism... Cry 
My song is different though and rocks so good that I felt I had to load it up... Undecided Tongue

Soooooo, here it is :

http://maxebelga.kara-moon.com/music/Max_el_Belga-Water.mp3

Enjoy it and CU,

Max... .. . Cheesy

PS : Iīve just found out Iīm having a little trouble with my upload again...
       Appears a small gap of silence, at the beginning (at 0:02, just before that splash); it doesnīt harm the song too much (Iīve tried the upload several times), so itīs still OK like that... Wink
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:25:39 PM »

Is this about sharp (as razor-blade) guitars ? not only ! there's much more in it
Fine vocals and groove, nice sounds.
You're a master in organizing song structures, this one sounds interesting and enjoyable throughout the whole lenghth of 4 mins.
Solid production is your trademark
Cool and funny ending.

Well done Max !  Wink

Cheers
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:31:36 PM »

Heya Max..

Thanks for sharing this carnival of interesting sounds..

..you have such a unique way with music..you manage
to squeeze 10 pounds of nuts into a 5 pound bag, and still
there is some space left over.  Grin

I think the technical term is:  "It Rocks!!"

Cool tune..

Wyatt

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 04:46:54 PM »

...this one is very special... Wink

...explication concentrated manipulating of a song Iīm too saturated with, based on a fascination I have for a chord-lick with a razor blade interludium. Inconsious plagiarism
is different though and rocks so good.

Hey LOOK Max, I made an observation with your word samples  Cheesy  I think I get it now Grin

That is really "kinky" Wink  The Yes-like vocal interludiums were especially  Cool

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 09:29:50 PM »

Well, one thinkg I've learned with Max's stuff is to expect the unexpected Grin

This is, as usual and excellent musical extraviganca. Lots going on all through. Really grabs your attention. You really do seem to pay a lot of attention to detail. Love that cheeky little guitar at the end Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 10:21:49 PM »

Shocked
Again......stunned by the professionalism from Maxio.

Huh
What I can never figure out is how much is real and how much is samples.  Man, you must have a whole back-yard full of first class singers!

Wink
James

Max el Belga
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:45:44 AM »

My good friends, I see you enjoyed this thingie...  Me too ! Grin
Fred S, with your comment you show one of my working methods.  You move around the order of samples and get a new result.  Even 1/8 or 1/16 of movement in timing causes a mountain of difference !  Wink Cool

Offthewall, rather than a back-yard full of first class singers and being a first class musician, I have first class software (even the free ones) !
Those software tools we have right now are so amazing ! And one can see clearly what one is doing.
In the end everything is reduced to a sample or loop.
Sometimes I just record 2 tracks, improvising along with the song and then throw away the rubbish and keep the 'sparkles'.  Afterwards itīs just a question of timing.  Putting the right thing on the right spot.
As Ellington said : "You donīt mean a thing if you ainīt got that swing".
So obviously the secret is all in the timing... Cool

Now something about the vocals... 
I allways start with the instruments and then adapt the vocals to the song.
In fact I make them sing my song, with the aid of the Logic pitch shifter or Melodyne, cutting and pasting.

I know explaining tricks is bad for the magic, but since I have no Madonna or Prince ambitions... Grin
Try this one : very few singers hit the notes perfectly.  Thereīs allways a little fluctuation.
Keep that track, but make also a perfect track with note correction.
Use them both and you get a hell of a singer ! Wink

What helps me the most is listening from a distance to the song Iīm working on.  I put it on 'loop', up with the volume, push play, leave the studio doors open, go to the living room, kitchen or garden and give it an audition.
IMO this works better and is cheaper than compairing through different monitors... Cool
This way you can hear clearly if the balance is OK, weak and strong points, if it punches-pumps enough, etc...

BTW I worked 5 days on this song.

Now I must flash away to do some things for the 'missus', as allways too busy; I hope I can a moment to vote, but... Roll Eyes

Cheers,

Max... .. . Cheesy

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 07:58:41 PM »

Nice one, Max. The drums sound a bit muffled to my ears. Or maybe it's a taste issue.
Max el Belga
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:48:33 AM »

Hi, Martin, thatīs indeed one of those issues that get there finishing touch after many auditions and compairing...

I just love comments like this one ! It just happened I did cut a little more high on the drums, before the final bounce.  They sounded a bit too 'sharp' to me at that moment... Huh

So now you make me think it all over again ! Thanks. Cool

Applaus and ovations are good for the ego but technicaly they donīt help you an inch.
My uncle Frank used to say : "If you wanna know the secret of getting success, ask somebody who failed in the attempt.  He has the map with the obstacles to avoid... "

So, in my case, donīt spare me, cheers Kiss

Max... .. . Cheesy

Max... .. . Cheesy
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 02:31:53 PM »

Just when I thought I had a good grip on production - along comes Max  Tongue.

Oren.

TheBellows

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 08:14:26 PM »

This is excellent!  Wink
magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 09:44:31 PM »

It's zappa playing dirty disco  Grin

I enjoyed, as usual. I agree also about the drums, something is missing. Too in the background ? A fatter kick ?

Thanks!!

bye

mag

Frenchy but chic
Max el Belga
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 10:01:06 AM »

I love it ! More critiques on the drums-kick. 
Those comments are very important; they teach us.  I surely have to check what might be out of balance there !
This makes it fascinating.  Maybe my distant audition trick fooled me, īcose the basses go a lot further than the highs...
Of course you could listen to it from a distance and I could call it distant-music... Grin
No, Iīm gonna concentrate on this aspect ! Wink Cool

Thanks guys,

Max... .. . Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: