Kara-Moon Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:58:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: River Song  (Read 7306 times)
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« on: November 13, 2007, 09:23:29 PM »

http://www.kara-moon.com/download_song.php?download_id=4443
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »

Cool  Interesting piece.
Very full and driving orchestration. Great bass and drums pushing the whole thing along.
I wouldn't be surprised if you told me this was the theme tune from an 80's American TV show or movie.
 Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 11:10:36 PM »

I love the first 20 seconds of this song..very seductive-the way the bass & arpeggio riff blend together so well.

The drums accentuate these two tracks very well & I am very enchanted by these 3 different elements of the song,but the inclusion of the brass just does not seem to fit in with the rest of the song.

The horns just don't suit my personal pallet,but I still love the song & it's very unique & the parts I like are crafted very well. Cool

Elwood

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:28:09 AM »

+1, thom said it all and I agree with him
The whole brass & horn vsti & sample stuff in general doesn't appeal to me, not only in this song.
But this is only my personnal taste.
Very good work you've done here, it's a great theme song.

k

I love the first 20 seconds of this song..very seductive-the way the bass & arpeggio riff blend together so well.

The drums accentuate these two tracks very well & I am very enchanted by these 3 different elements of the song,but the inclusion of the brass just does not seem to fit in with the rest of the song.

The horns just don't suit my personal pallet,but I still love the song & it's very unique & the parts I like are crafted very well. Cool

Elwood

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 09:28:29 PM »

make that a +2 !

I like it overall. The synthed horns lack 'life' somehow. I don't know if, and how that could be fixed.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »

Thanks for listening and for the comments guys.

Yes, I think brass is one of the hardest things to get sounding right using vsts - I'll need to look around for alternatives.
magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 09:15:22 PM »

Hi FM,

Excellent intro. I like the theme. To me some of the brass sounds well, mainly the lead, but the section sounds less convincing.
I think it can be corrected. Maybe the lead soloing brass is too in front or too loud. Try another reverb to push it more in the backround. Some chorus and dirtyfy Fx could do the trick. Same for the brass.
And dont forget that a brass player have to breathe sometimes  Cheesy
Anway, a great theme again!

Thanks

bye

mag

Frenchy but chic
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 12:36:15 AM »

I like it FM ! A little film scorish, which I like.

A couple thoughts;
I don't quite feel the same about the brass as others. There are times when your going to need them, and you can't hire a horn section. I think the only problem here is they are too out front, so their easier to hear (good or bad). If they blend more, I think they can sound more convincing. You might try pulling them back some and adding strings, or maybe try magma's suggestions.

As you know, when your emulating real instruments with vst's your often going to be looking for compromises and workarounds. But, that doesn't mean it can't work!

Its definetly a nice comp.

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 09:32:07 PM »

Nice one, FM. I think the lead (trombone?) isn't bad at all. Though I would pick another lead sound half way through to get some variation. The horn section in the back ground is less convincing.

If you want really convincing brass and woodwinds have a look at www.wallanderinstruments.com

But you also have to check you bank account for those. Wink
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:56:55 AM by Martin E » Logged
NeoN

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 11:03:02 AM »

Nice Intro, and I noticed some very nice Brass sounds in there.
 Wink
Great job.
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 08:04:49 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys - some very useful suggestions there which I'll try when I have a chance.

Martin, thanks for the link to Wallander - the instruments look interesting (if quite expensive.) However, I think that the problem might be less with the sounds I'm using and more with the way I'm using them - I have lots to learn  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: