Kara-Moon Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:09:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mesozoic  (Read 8247 times)
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« on: November 28, 2007, 08:29:43 PM »

I wanted to take a break from the style I've been developing recently, so here's something very different (I hope.) It was inspired by old dinosaur films like 'The Lost World' (the original, not the sequel to Jurassic Park.) Comments very welcome.

http://www.kara-moon.com/download_song.php?download_id=4455
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 09:40:49 PM »

I'll give this one 3 stars  Cool out of 5
I love songs that doesn't sound like everything else and I love the style of this one.
And if you played that guitar solo in one take, a hats off and a extra star !

What did bother me a bit was the repeating character of the drums, i could imagine that a more interesting drumtrack could add a lot to this song.
And on my studio monitors, the low sweeping synth interfere with the bassline, just so that you know. On my headphones it is better

Thanks for sharing this on

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 11:08:59 PM »

F.M.,

You've not only succeded very well in writing something different,as you have gone beyond that & actually created one of the most unusual styles that I've heard in a long time. Cool

I really like the intro quite a bit,as it's very exotic & immersive-which plays on the theme admirably,but about half way through the song,the music seems to tell quite a different story...of what,I don't know. Huh

The musicianship behind the guitar solo is excellent though,as it's very skillful,but between the theme veering in another direction & the drawn out length of it,I began to lose interest in it.

In my opinion,according to my musical taste,I would love to hear this arranged differently,with regard to the mid-point of the song & thru to the end of it.

Elwood

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 01:23:47 AM »

I enjoyed it. I can't say the wandering structure bothered me at all; it flowed nicely. I have many prog-jazz albums that wander like that (WeatherReport's 8:30 for one)  The drums had some variation. I didn't think they detracted, but I do think they could add a lot more with some more time spent on them.
 I didn't like the ending at all..

Thanks for sharing this- it was pretty cool..
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:25:57 AM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 07:59:57 PM »

Thanks for listening and commenting guys. I'll think about the drums a bit. (And I'll also have a listen for the interference between the low synth and the bass - thanks for pointing that out, Kara  Smiley)
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:50:23 PM »

Thanks for listening and commenting guys. I'll think about the drums a bit. (And I'll also have a listen for the interference between the low synth and the bass - thanks for pointing that out, Kara  Smiley)
Very original track, there are good ideas in here.
I like the melodies, arrangements and I love the guitar solo for its nervous style
Cool thing

Cheers
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 11:13:36 PM »

Yes I quite like this too. The style seems to drift to something totally different from the start. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a bit of a shock if you put it on auto-repeat Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 08:06:53 PM »

Thanks for listening Laguna and Folderol. I'm glad you liked it.
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 10:14:56 PM »

Excellent piece of work.
A superb mix with many wonderful elements. Great playing technique. After the meandering guitar journey through the mid section I particularly like the bass motif that comes in round the 4minute mark to 'pull it all together'. I could just picture the guys in the band looking for the 'nod' to signal that point to each other!

Thanks for sharing.
 Wink
James

magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:03:33 AM »

Ha yeah, excellent  Grin
I liked it. To me sometimes higher freqs are too bright/metalic but anyway, I enjoyed  Wink

thanks!

bye

mag

Frenchy but chic
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 07:24:39 PM »

This is good, FM. Actually, I like the style better than some of your other work;  sort of film-scorish.

The melody line, intro and end, works very well, and nice chord changes in the bridge. The synth sounds are  Cool 

I think the middle part with guitar might be a little long. I was starting to lose interest there.

I wasn't bothered by the "repeating" drums. Seems to fit the "sound". Maybe add a few breaks.

Really good stuff, FM

FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 08:47:46 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you enjoyed it.
Ed

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 10:34:24 PM »

dig the theme on this, I liked it..nice guitar work
the cymbals seemed on their own and not part of the kit, so it was a bit scattered in that area, maybe drop the volume on them a touch to let the snare and kick groove come out a little more

great work though

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:53:42 PM by Ed » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: