Kara-Moon Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:39:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Lonely Man  (Read 812 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: November 20, 2023, 08:45:57 PM »

I had some time yesterday to try my new Swam VSTis, the Solo Strings. This quickly composed song, about 3 hours, uses the solo violin. You can let me know if it sounds realistic or not. Thanx.

I am playing the VSTi via my keyboard controller while Band-in-a-Box is supplying the balance of the tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/mario_guitar/a-lonely-man

The older I get the better I was!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 10:48:46 PM »

It is a good e-violin. Matter of fact, it is a very, very good electric violin ... But, and I am not an expert in these things, it doesn't quite sound like a real one to my old and tired ears. I suspect it's the bowing and all that which violin players spend years and years learning? But, I might have been fooled if I didn't know better??? Don't know.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 11:19:03 PM »

Bob, I agree.  Part of that maybe the fact that I don't know much about the art of playing a violin. I think it sounds better in the lower registers than in the higher ones.

Thanx for listening and commenting.

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 12:10:13 AM »

I've never learned fiddle ... I just don't think I could get though the annoying learning stage. I do love a WELL PLAYED fiddle (opps, VIOLIN!) as done but some of the concert players and gypsy jazz folks. Gotta say my favorite is Stephan Grapelli. BTW, I can't stand fiddling (as in gigs, reels, etc).

I think we (musicians) should probably admit that e-instruments are different from real ones. And that is a good thing ... it means we have 2x as many things to keep us amused though the long winter nights Smiley

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 06:46:24 PM »

Fiddle and violin are really two different instruments.  Fiddle players lower the bridge so they can more easily play two or more string simultaneously.

Stephan Grapelli was great whether it was with Django or when he played the standards.  I really liked it when he played the standards., i.e. Misty, How High the Moon, etc.

Yes, e-instruments are different from the real ones.  E-instruments are just an emulation of the real thing and not an exact copy sound wise.

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 08:47:44 PM »

Fiddle and violin are really two different instruments.  Fiddle players lower the bridge so they can more easily play two or more string simultaneously.

I'm not looking for a facebook argument here Smiley But, I have always been told that they are the same beast; just the style of play is different. So, I did a very quick look on the network which conveys all the truth Smiley Lots and lots of hits, but they all seem to be of the type: https://www.johnsonstring.com/violins-facts/fiddle-vs-violin.htm But, honestly, I have no idea what I'm going on about here!

I think Grapelli would have been great playing a couple of spoons ... he was a great musician who happened to play a fiddle/violin!

I really hope I can play guitar on my accordion one of these days Smiley

Let's all continue to make music! Good for the mind and soul.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 03:29:29 AM »

The only reason I said they were two different instruments is because of the bridge modification for someone playing a fiddle.  A violinist would never modify a bridge like one whom plays a fiddle would.  At least that was what I was told.  Other than that they are the same.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 12:06:13 PM »

I think the sound would be convincing as a supporting instrument, but not quite in such a prominent lead role. Very good sorrowful tune though - definitely fits the title!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2023, 01:46:21 PM »

Thanx Will.

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 07:42:59 AM »

Sorry....but to my ears, not very convincing(especially at this steep price point.) I think my London Solo Strings Reason Refill I bought many years ago, sounds significantly better(at a fraction of the price.)
Nice tune though...
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2023, 02:04:02 PM »

Yes, Thom I agree.  I am disappointed with those sounds.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: