Kara-Moon Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:37:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fed up with VLC & Monkey's Audio  (Read 9080 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: February 28, 2012, 11:07:02 PM »

At first,it seemed that VLC was interfering with James's APE files,as I found the VLC logo on all of the files...so I uninstalled VLC.VLC is an idiotic program,as it tries to play everything! Angry Roll Eyes

Despite the uninstall,the APE files were still not appearing in the program and I even tried dragging & dropping the files,but the program won't allow me to do it.

Aggravated beyond belief,I uninstalled Monkey's Audio as well.

Monkey's Audio,LAME codecs and NI K6 are all programs that are impossible for me to figure out without having to depend on others to walk me through it and unfortunately,I have lost 2 of the 3 programs to a computer crash and once my computer with my NI K6 program on it dies,I won't miss it. Tongue

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:01:18 AM »

VLC media player behaves very well in Linux - because it has no choice. Grin
 It does tend to run amok in Windows. Another item a Windows user should avoid is RealPlayer; it tries to take over all your audio play-back action.

At one time I made extensive use of MonkeysAudio compression. I now use FLAC for lossless compression... in Windows FLAC can be deploy with a program called "FLAC frontend" - http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm -  The actual FLAC software can be found here... - http://flac.sourceforge.net/ -
FLAC is open-source software, so the source code is available to everyone to modify as they see fit. Thus, development is very rapid.

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »

This is yet another of the wonders of REAPER.
It can, natively within the program, convert to and from almost any format including Ape, Flac, Ogg and just about any you mention.

As for music players.
I haven't tried VLC but I do have RealPlayer along with a few others installed, mainly for testing in various formats. I have found with all of these things that, as soon as you install them you should go into their 'preferences' or 'options' and disable everything that identifies that program with specific files.

Sorry about the APEs, Thom.
I don't have the bandwidth to be sending WAV's but I can send you Flac's or Ogg's if you like.

Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

As for music players.
I haven't tried VLC but I do have RealPlayer along with a few others installed, mainly for testing in various formats. I have found with all of these things that, as soon as you install them you should go into their 'preferences' or 'options' and disable everything that identifies that program with specific files.

James

This is the best advice for any player.

All players try to take over and want every playable format go through their system. Like James I have been disabling all the file associations with no problems.   

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »

VLC media player behaves very well in Linux - because it has no choice. Grin
 It does tend to run amok in Windows. Another item a Windows user should avoid is RealPlayer; it tries to take over all your audio play-back action.

At one time I made extensive use of MonkeysAudio compression. I now use FLAC for lossless compression... in Windows FLAC can be deploy with a program called "FLAC frontend" - http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm -  The actual FLAC software can be found here... - http://flac.sourceforge.net/ -
FLAC is open-source software, so the source code is available to everyone to modify as they see fit. Thus, development is very rapid.

As a Windows user,I find RealPlayer to be very useful,as it behaves quite nicely in this platform....especially since I can download just about any video on the internet with it! Grin

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »

James,

I should be apologizing to you,for my ignorance concerning Monkey's Audio. Embarrassed As for Flac files-that would be great,as Presonus does support this format....so I'd appreciate it if you could resend your files via Flac.

One of the reasons I decided to purchase Presonus S1,was the convenient MP3 conversion feature(so that I wouldn't have to be bothered sorting out the LAME codec thing).
That in mind,I think it would be a good investment on my part,if I eventually added Reaper to my arsenal,so that I would have a headache-free way of converting APE files...so that I'll be less of a burden to my collaborative friends here. Wink

I've heard many good accolades about Reaper and I'm intrigued and for such a modest price,I can't think of a reason not to include it in my studio(my Presonus S1 was $400 and it doesn't even have Ogg Vorbis support)! Roll Eyes

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »

I conducted a bit of research on Reaper & I find the whole licensing thing a bit confusing.It seems that one is permitted to use Reaper beyond the trial period as a fully functional DAW and that the choice to buy a license is at the user's discretion.

Reaper doesn't seem to care what you do,just so long as you are not reaping a profit commercially....hmmm...strange goings on here.

Allowing the user to pay the $60 for a license,based purely on the conscience of the user,is a concept that is completely alien to me....it's actually a great comfort to me,as I was really concerned that the whole program is delivered via the internet,as I had an awful time with Behringer's Energy XT & I struggled with the licensing for weeks,before I finally received a refund and vowed never again,to buy a DAW via electronic delivery.

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »

I must correct you, Thom.
It seems that one is permitted to use Reaper beyond the trial period as a fully functional DAW and that the choice to buy a license is at the user's discretion.
is a bit of a myth.
It is, in fact, true that you 'could' install Reaper and use it forever. It is fully functioning and all you get is a 'nag screen' on start up.
The licensing detail actually states:
"If after 30 days you decide that REAPER is not for you, simply delete it.
If you decide that REAPER is for you, you must purchase a license.
"
The emphasis is on must.

In saying that I admit that I used it for about a year before I saved up to buy the license. I have never regretted buying it as the upgrades are constant and free for the life of each license, which is usually about 2 years.
$60
Worth every penny.

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:52:43 PM »

James,

I was going by what this man said in this YouTube video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFxqmuhTtI

Woah...wait a second here...let me see if I comprehend you correctly...I can fully utilize Reaper,as long as I don't mind the "purchase prompt" that comes up upon launching the program?
If I decide to purchase a license,I have to pay $60 every two years for the rest of my life,just so I can get "free" upgrades?This is a pretty basic DAW,yes?
I mean to say,it doesn't include VST's or the like,correct?

If this is the case,now I'm really confused. Huh Between my Reason 4 and then the upgrade to Reason 6 that I purchased,I spent a grand total of $569(Reason 6 can now be purchased for $400)..but it gives the user everything he/she needs to make music..a humongous sound library,a vast amount of effects and an a life time of flexible sound creation possibilities and best of all,the licensing is for a lifetime and you can re-install it on as many computers as you like.

I just thought of using Reaper as a secondary option,essentially for it's file format flexibility.That being said,paying hundreds of dollars over the course of the next 20 to 30 years just for upgrades I probably won't need,is not for me at all.

I really don't know of any other software recording platform that makes you pay over and over again for "licensing" and then tells you the upgrades are free. Roll Eyes
Seriously...how significant can the upgrades be?If the user can fully utilize the DAW without paying anything for it,what real incentive does Reaper offer the consumer to pay for this program?

This can't be real...I need to do more research on this program....

-Thom

-Thom
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:01:10 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »

Thom,
When I say renewing licenses every 2 years ... not really, unless you want to follow the upgrade path. Once a license has been bought it is forever. The way the program has developed over the past few years I don't think that I, personally, would ever need to upgrade again. It has everything and more to meet my needs.
It does not come with any VST instruments, as such, but has a whole host of plug-ins to cover every type of effect or manipulation that you could dream of. If you research the opinions of users you will find that a lot of these are comparable with many of the expensive high-end ones.

But, my friend ... there is another side to this story.
Maybe you can afford $400 for a DAW and be able to use all of those built in sound libraries, and such.
Myself ... I had to save for a few months to be able to afford the $60. And, I have no need for the built-in stuff. The majority of my work is audio recording, as you know, and the few times I venture into other instrumentation can be handled, quite effectively, with free (or small cost special offer) ware.

Big difference between our needs, and our budgets, my friend.

All that said, .... yes ... you 'could' install it and use it for as long as you like.
You could also find that it works for you, as a secondary DAW, and pay the 60 bucks which gives you legal rights to use it forever.

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »

I understand your needs James,but I brought up Reason for the purpose of illustrating that amongst all of the mainstream DAWS,the Reason program is still an exceptional bargain and if the user wants upgrades,the upgrades that are offered,are substantial..in that the upgrades include more effects racks & VST's.

To put a finer point on it,yes...such DAWS are quite expensive,as was my Presonus DAW...but..all of the upgrades that I've received in the last 2 years have been free and of course,VST's are included.
However,Presonus does offer their Artist version,which is about half the price and then there are DAWS such as Cubase AI5,which is absolutely free & comes with included VST's...it's still pretty much basic,in contrast to Steinberg's other programs,but seemingly a great freeware-type of option..although I can't speak for the quality of it's functionality(as I only know of my own personal difficulties with it,in relation to my Yamaha MOX6 ).

Again,I'm familiar with your needs,as I've been on this forum long enough to realize your situation....but there are many good values out there and although Reaper's functionality and initial cost is remarkable..well...I was just debating with myself on how much-if at all,I need Reaper...to the point were I find it necessary to pay for it and whatever VST's or effects I need to add to it...which could get expensive.

Yep...I have more money to throw around then you do,but I am still on fixed income and I live an extremely modest lifestyle,in terms of the groceries I buy,refraining from dining out,no dating and in fact,when my bills & groceries are paid for,I pour just about everything that I have left to spend each month on my music.

It's a nasty habit really,as I pretty much live from month to month..with no savings whatsoever.I have only paid into my Social Security for 20 years,so my income really isn't nearly as much as you may think.

Honestly...with me already having two DAWS as it is,I probably won't need to spring for the paid version of Reaper....but once all of my credit cards are paid off,I could easily fork over the $60 for the license,without giving it a second thought....which is a possibility,down the road.......

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: