Kara-Moon Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:20:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another slow one  (Read 6256 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: August 09, 2009, 01:10:09 PM »

Hey, there's getting to be quite a crowd of us Smiley

My offering is called Lazy Day, and it's just a very slow 12bar. Putting this together turned out to be more difficult than I expected. I had to quantize the percussion to get something stable I could hang the rest on, but that just showed up how variable my playing is Sad

* Lazy_Day.ogg (3705.44 KB - downloaded 233 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:42:43 PM »

Will,

This piece is a sweet definition of a lazy day & it's very pretty! Cheesy The percussion is nice,but could use some breaks in it.
The lead synth in the beginning & latter part of the song is stumbling over the drums though.....however though,the timing of the brass lead synth is very good.

If your interested,I'd like to do a collaboration with you & introduce some of my ideas to your song,if I may.
I don't think we've ever done a co-production together & I think it would be fun....so if you're up for it,send me separate WAV files of everything & let's see what develops. Smiley

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:45:39 AM »

Actually...come to think of it,we did do a collab in the past...hmmm-I think I need to reform the hard drive in my brain,or do a defrag or something. Roll Eyes

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »

Thanks for listening Thom, and for your comments. It's curious how those timing discrepancies seem to vanish without the percussion Shocked

I like the idea of a collab, so will generate the individual wav files for you. Normally I have Rosegarden 'playing' all the MIDI tracks at once to a single stereo pair.

Yes, we did an bit of a collab before. I scattered a few notes on top of your 'Orange Flares' Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MRT

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »

Not sure probably the synth pad in the back but it kind of made me feel like Christmas Eve. Probably in Wisconson as it seems like it might break into a polka at about 2:20.
Overall very soothing Smiley
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »

Thanks for your comments. I'd never thought of it in a Christmassy way, but you're right it would sort of fit Shocked

- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:30:31 PM »

I've loved so much of your stuff recently, Will .....
but I'm not sure about this one, mate.  Lips Sealed

From a 'synthist' point of view I feel that a little more 'naturality' ( Roll Eyes ) or 'swing', or 'humanising', or whatever it's called would counteract the strictness of the percussion track.
(I truly don't know what these terms mean .... I hardly understand 'quantise' )

Nice melodies, though.
 Wink
James

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 03:30:47 AM »

Another signature piece from the "Folderol Zone". (I'd recognize this style anywhere! Cool)
Although the beat could be synched up a bit, to good effect, I assumed the variations were intentional...

This brings up some of the more interesting features of meter(beat) and pitch. Meter and pitch can be right on, or strategically "off", to create a mood or effect. In order for it to work, however, I feel it must be intentional. Generally, a listener can intuit if the off-beat or off-pitch notes are part of the composer's/performer's intent, and accept the "discrepancy" as an integral part of the experience.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »

Will, this is fantastic.  A very lovely and flowing soundscape.  Everything is spot on IMHO.

This went straight to my keep folder.

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »

Thanks again for your comments guys. This track has been rather problematical for me, and as James picked up, I'm still not really comfortable with it. In some ways I think it sounds better without the percussion.

The other point is that I think I was trying to play it too slowly at 60bpm. Quite a lot of the time little runs finish too early for the bar. I'm debating doing it again afresh at say 70bpm (although that would be too late for the competition and also 'out of range')

- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: