Kara-Moon Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:00:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Borders  (Read 8355 times)
isle3music

« on: August 18, 2010, 12:50:38 AM »

As with most of my songs,I'm never completely happy with them,so I went back today and changed some things on this one.
For now,I guess I'm keeping this version,I hope you like it,same style as "Shadows"
Cheers
Rui

* No Borders.mp3 (5849.31 KB - downloaded 294 times.)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:32:27 PM »

Rui,
Your various instrumental themes blend in such a way that the whole composition moves smoothly through it's transitions.
Quite remarkable! Shocked
Would you care to divulge your sound-sources, and the recording/mixing/mastering software you used on this one?

isle3music

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 01:50:52 AM »

Rui,
Your various instrumental themes blend in such a way that the whole composition moves smoothly through it's transitions.
Quite remarkable! Shocked
Would you care to divulge your sound-sources, and the recording/mixing/mastering software you used on this one?
Hey,Oren
On this one there are 57 individual audio tracks and one midi,but of course that includes a couple of tracks with just crashes and swells.The piano and the metal chords at the end are from Nexus,the tremolo guitar is from Omnisphere and also the intro pads.The big orchestral sounds are from Symphobia and the rest from EW.
All of the other sounds are from either Heaviocity Evolve or Sample Logic Morphestra(these last two are great for the type of music I write).
I use Cubase but I don't do any sends or buses,chains,EQs,FX,compression and all that stuff.(maybe I should)I try to get that big sound without the use of the fx in Cubase or Waves or Lexicon,I have them all but never use them,and most of the time I get the sound I want.I just make sure I have the right sounds and just mix them by ear,then I normalize the audio files and in the final mix/master I use the waves L316 limiter,just a touch between -0.5 and -0.7 depends on the song.
That's about it,I'm pretty new at this so I don't really know how to use my daw and the fx properly yet to get a better sound still.Also I do all my mix/master on Sennheiser headphones.
Thanks for the kind review
Cheers eh
Rui
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:46:42 AM »

Rui,

I think that with your exceptional arranging skills,along with the wonderful sound sets you have to work with....learning how to master is the next logical step.
Don't get me wrong,the sonic fidelity of your VST's are impressive as is,but you will notice the additional depth & clarity of your mixes after they've been run through fx processors.
With this particular song,I don't really think much needs to be done effects-wise(except for possibly accentuating certain tracks).

Here @ K-M,we try to encourage people to grow & expand as musicians & I think you could really step things up further,by fully utilizing all of your resources..i.e.,FX,custom drum programming & so forth.

When I first began here @ K-M,I was encouraged to make my songs sound more natural & fluent,rather than "sequenced" & since then,I've pushed myself constantly,to strive for that fluent sound.

Just 5 years ago,I didn't know how to master,use a multi-tracker or a DAW-or even a computer for that matter..as all I owned,was a Korg Triton Extreme & a CD recorder.

However though,I have yet to learn about compression-(as I have dabbled with it from time to time),but have not had a clear understanding of it....so that's the next step for me.
For the most part I don't really need it,as like you,I work mainly with sample-based instruments & synths,but when you do need compression,it's good to know how it improves certain elements in your songs.

About your song...as usual,you set the bar very high with your wonderfully cinematic drama & the James Bond flavor towards the end is priceless!
Shocked Cool

I was thinking though,that beginning @ 1:26,a heavy bass & snare beat would really compliment the mood of this tune.

This song makes me want the Omnisphere software all the more,but now I am not so sure I want to buy a third computer,as I think I may get away with just adding more RAM to my current one.
Reason being,is that I am seriously considering the upcoming Yamaha Motif XF 61 key,& that is a pretty penny that I will have to scrimp & save hard for.
Tongue Shocked Smiley

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »

Shocked
Fabulous cinematic sound   Shocked
I do all my mix/master on Sennheiser headphones
As another 'headphonist' ... the overall sound is just out of this world.  Kiss

Wink
James

isle3music

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:23:38 PM »

Thanks Thom and James for your kind words also...(I loves my headphones)  Shocked
Cheers
Rui
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »

Once again a stunning track. I just don't know how you manage it. Do you have a time machine that gives you 36 hours a day?

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »

It's all been said - outstanding wOO

All I  can add is that
This is definately a keeper wOO

PS - you have one great musical and composer mind  wOO

The older I get the better I was!
isle3music

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »

Will and Mario,you guys are way too kind...Grin
I really appreciate the kind reviews
Rui
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:10:02 PM »

I really appreciate the kind reviews
Rui

You deserve them!

The older I get the better I was!
magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 03:29:21 PM »

Hi,

what a superfly  Grin

I enjoyed the cinematic feel, emphatic and dramatic. Makes me think a lot of video game/movie soundtrack. Superb!

On the technical side I would like to know if you write all (like programing drums, writing melodic lines and so on) or if it's a mix of loops/writing ?

The sound is clear and sharp as ice but not so cold  Grin

I think that when you use commercial stuff (like vst or sounds library), they are often pre-mastered so that you rarely have to bother with mastering, like me with my buzz freeware  Roll Eyes

Thanks to share!!

mag

Frenchy but chic
isle3music

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »

Hi,
what a superfly  Grin
I enjoyed the cinematic feel, emphatic and dramatic. Makes me think a lot of video game/movie soundtrack. Superb!
On the technical side I would like to know if you write all (like programing drums, writing melodic lines and so on) or if it's a mix of loops/writing ?
The sound is clear and sharp as ice but not so cold  Grin
I think that when you use commercial stuff (like vst or sounds library), they are often pre-mastered so that you rarely have to bother with mastering, like me with my buzz freeware  Roll Eyes
Thanks to share!!
mag
Hi,Mag
Thanks for the kind words.Yes,I do use lots of good quality vst and sounds libraries,so yes not too much mastering
I don't have time to program drums and sounds so I use them often.Melodies are mine I'd say for the most part but sometimes an evolving pad will have a melody within so I just go with it
Cheers
Rui
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: