Kara-Moon Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:02:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: computer woes ..one last problem??  (Read 24388 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »

FWIW here's my setup.

My DAW has only the ethernet service enabled for access via a firewalled router to updates (At my request not someone else's). Printing, Logging etc. are all blocked. Logging I switched off once I was happy the system was stable.

Although firefox is on the machine, it too is locked down tight, no flash, javascript, quicktine etc.

I also have gkrellm monitoring processor, memory and disk usage. This is a tiny app. that uses almost no resources itself.

Jack, Rosegarden & Zyn. Are always started up by default (as I know I will always use these). All the other apps. I only start if and when I need them then quit them afterwards to keep the system clean.

All this may be a bit paranoid, but so far I've had no 'surprises' on that machine, and it runs fast - not as fast as yours Oren!

Anything else computery I want to do is done on the office machine which is on the same network, so I can transfer files if I really need to. This post is being done on the office machine as is all my email and domestic stuff. I also have a minimal audio setup on it for trying out anything new before it goes on my DAW.

If you have the hardware available I would say a policy like this would be equally applicable on any OS.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 04:44:27 AM »

Will,

Four years windoze-free....quite an accomplishment, given that you interact so effectively with other computer music makers.

I'm at the point where Ubuntu Studio is now comfortable for me as a new operating system. All the basic chores flow naturally, and I know where to go for almost any eventuality. The next challenge is to begin using the audio applications.

Linux poses an interesting challenge in that there are so many ways to accomplish each task. Examining the options, exploring the possibilities, and then making the choice of software applications and how they will interact...daunting. Who am I going to blame for my wonky little situation when there's no Apple, Microsoft,  or virus to take the heat? Much of the Linux experience is about choice and responsibility, and it's fascinating to witness the various software challenges being addressed on the Linux forums as only temporary impediments, and as opportunities for improvement. Such a refreshing point of view.

I'm still preparing to run that composition you sent me to see if it will sally forth at 64 frames on this 3 gigahertz / 4 gigabyte machine, but we may have to set up a how-to-load-this-tune tutorial on the "Open Source Alternative" thread, so your country cousin over here can execute the maneuver without shooting his toe off...  Undecided

Oren.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 04:49:43 AM by Oren » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 01:54:07 AM »

It's great to be able to keep abreast of your progress Oren..and inspiring, Will,
to realize you have been so successful with the OS alternative for so long.

Afro

Wyatt

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 03:34:57 AM »

Wyatt,

...we should have picked somebody smarter for this...I'm barely hangin' on here Cheesy

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »

Wyatt,

...we should have picked somebody smarter for this...I'm barely hangin' on here Cheesy

If you're still hanging in there at this point, (since that initial gleam in your eye, sometime last August by my calculations), then you are definitely smart enough.

But then I already knew that.  Grin

Wyatt

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: