Kara-Moon Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:07:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New system part 2  (Read 17184 times)
Fred S
Moderators Views

« on: February 01, 2008, 05:31:29 AM »

Hey Dude, your getting a Dell!

Couldn't find what I wanted for the best price. They price the Vista stuff better. And I don't really want to take the Vista plunge yet, so I called and complained.

So, 1246 delivered

XP
Quad Core 2.4G, 1066 FSB
4GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz
500GB SATA
16X DVD +/- RW
128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS
Wireless keyboard and mouse
22" widescreen
floppy drive
2 years warranty and support

Seems like an ok deal?

So, hypothetically, if I moved everything from my original hard drive to my second drive (cakewalk, vsts, spreadsheet, word processing, dxi's, etc) how much do you think would still work. None, some, most ?

So, then if I took that drive and stuck it in my new machine, how much do you think would still work?

So, is there any cheating possible. I hate the idea of starting over, cause I hate working on computers? I just want things to work so I can get to the music.

Should I just keep my current computer hooked to the internet and use the new one for music? But then installing programs and doing updates becomes much more difficult. I have a lot of programs so there's lots of updates to do all the time.

Just start all over with the new one and use both screens (that would be nice) of course I will need to modify (saw) the desk some (I'll do that when the wife's out shopping).

So, you guys have all been through this, what's your down and dirty opinion.

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 06:53:56 AM »

Looks like a nice system to me !  Cool

For the installation: go for a new installation ! Don't try anything else.

Problem is, if you try to transfer installed software, that you're system won't be clean. You might succeed in getting the software to run, but you'll never have the DAW running like it should.

So, what's the point of having such a high spec DAW if it won't run smooth?

One way to go: CLEAN-INSTALL !

Moon
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:24:57 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, Moon. Makes sense. Just a time investment I guess Sad

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »

Definitifly reinstall everything from scratch on a new clean system.
A lot of software writes in the windows registry, just copying won't work.
Allso, if you have DXI on your pc, they write there location on the hard disk into the windows registry.

I would allso advice against a wireless keyboard & mouse, I had a couple of them and after a certain time, had troubles with all of them  Sad

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »

Hi Fred

New system, he. Probably have to go that route myself in a year or so. CPU is maxing out all the time  in my latest projects. Have to bounce to audio a lot to keep things running. Installing all that software again is not my favourite pasttime  Roll Eyes 

I think you can copy some of the fx plug-ins (I don't know what you've got installed of course) that didn't have an installer. So the ones where you only have to copy the dll to your vst plug-in folder. Which are probably only the free ones. As in my case. And I have loads of them.

So how about all those plugs with copy-protection and dongles. How does that work? When you have to install them on a new machine. Anyone?

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:00:11 AM »

So how about all those plugs with copy-protection and dongles. How does that work? When you have to install them on a new machine. Anyone?

Same problem....
Copy protection very often works with a crypted entry windows registry.
A serial number is encrypted and written in the registry. The software tests his serial number and will compare it with some algorytm with the encrypted serial number in the registry.
Other principle are used but this is one of them.
And I'm not even talking about challenge-response pricinciple, where in aby case you'll have to do the reinstallation. Challenge-response system usualy work with an unqiue ID of the machine which will generate a serial number from that ID. Meaning that even if you put your old HD in a new PC the software won't work anymore, since the unique ID of the machine is changed. The unique ID of the machine is usual the MAC adress of the PC, but other systems are used, amongst others the unique ID of the processor.

Now you understand why I've switched to Linux Smiley

Anyway, general rule is install everything you need on the new machine.
It would be a shame to start with a new PC and a couple of flaky installations on it.

k

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:27:14 AM »

Same problem....
Copy protection very often works with a crypted entry windows registry.
A serial number is encrypted and written in the registry. The software tests his serial number and will compare it with some algorytm with the encrypted serial number in the registry.
Other principle are used but this is one of them.
And I'm not even talking about challenge-response pricinciple, where in aby case you'll have to do the reinstallation. Challenge-response system usualy work with an unqiue ID of the machine which will generate a serial number from that ID. Meaning that even if you put your old HD in a new PC the software won't work anymore, since the unique ID of the machine is changed. The unique ID of the machine is usual the MAC adress of the PC, but other systems are used, amongst others the unique ID of the processor.

Now you understand why I've switched to Linux Smiley

Anyway, general rule is install everything you need on the new machine.
It would be a shame to start with a new PC and a couple of flaky installations on it.

k

Yeah, I also have a few challenge-response plugs.

One would need to contact the developer to get new authorizations I guess. I know IK Multimedia is one of the few developers that give you three authorizations in a private area on their website. Anyway, sounds like a lot of work.  Undecided

How about dongles then. Can't you just stick the dongle into your new machine and it should work? The dongle has the authorization stored.
kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »

How about dongles then. Can't you just stick the dongle into your new machine and it should work? The dongle has the authorization stored.
Yep, if you installed the software correctly and you stick the dongle in the new machine it will work
Normally....
I know that the muse receptor uses a special combination with dongle and challenge-response on some of the vsti....

k

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 04:08:29 PM »

Ok, thanks for the info, Kara.
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 04:22:57 PM »

CPU is maxing out all the time  in my latest projects. Have to bounce to audio a lot to keep things running. Installing all that software again is not my favourite pasttime  Roll Eyes 
Yup, same here, Martin. Going to have to do this sooner or later, So I'm thinking now and get it over with. I'm hoping that a quad machine will carry me for 5 years or so.

You guys are right. And, thanks for the good info, Kara. Makes anything but a fresh install sound foolish (and lazy Cheesy). I was thinking about it last night and think I will create an office in the "extra" room for the old computer. Do all my internet stuff on that. I'll hook up the new one to the internet as well, but only use it for music purposes (collabing, updating programs, etc.)

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 05:11:15 PM »

Sounds ducky, Fred.

The new computer has a nice combination of no-nonsense capabilities, and all that RAM and 4 cores will really tear it up. Cool maneuver getting a fresh copy of XP Cool. If you're able to assign the day-to-day internet work to your old machine and keep this one clean....watch out, mother, we got ourselves a live one!

You're walking in the tall grass now, friend Cheesy,

Oren.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »

2 years warranty and support

I have had several difficult experiences with Dell's warrantee/tech support...and I had purchased a 3 year extended warrantee.

I won't go into the months of hassles over the phone and all the stuff they would not fix for years..but finally, just before the pricey warrantee ran out, I managed to get a supervisor on the line, (which is a real feat in itself), and he actually understood me in my native tongue..and I finally DID get everything fixed!!

..they sent a couple boxes to airmail my two laptops, free of charge..and they did a dandy job of fixing everything up, too.

..and all I had to do was tell him how I was going to take pictures of these two pieces of garbage and post them on my new website, called :

"Done With Dell".

Catchy phrase, that one..I do believe it might have caught on.  Smiley

Seems like I spent a bit of time telling him a few other things too, but this is after all, a family site.

Tech support and warrantee work across the industry was deplorable for a number of years..here's hoping they are doing a little better job nowadays, and good luck with your new machine.

Wyatt

Oh yeah, and btw Fred..definitely a +1 on the reinstall advice you have been getting..that's where I will be spending my next few days. Wink

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »

X2 for what Wyatt says...

They used to make those puppies in Texas, and take some pride in their work. Built a good reputation.

I work with 6 Dells - 2 servers and 4 PCs in a network connected with the rest of western Canada. One of my jobs is to re-start them periodically, and remove extraneous data from the drives.They are quiet and do their job without incident. The whole system is on Windows 2000 Pro. Solid.

Let's hope this new critter lives up to the old pedigree... Grin

Oren.

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »

Woow !
 Shocked

it seems an excellent machine to me
Congratulations Fred !  Cool
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 08:53:05 PM »

I have had several difficult experiences with Dell's warrantee/tech support...and I had purchased a 3 year extended warrantee.

Oh yeah, and btw Fred..definitely a +1 on the reinstall advice you have been getting..that's where I will be spending my next few days. Wink

Thanks Wyatt and Oren!  Not happy to hear about your experience with Dell...that's for sure! I would be really pissed if that happened to me. However, this will be my third one without poor support incident. Of course it doesn't hurt that my computer friend/guy (he's a really great guy) is a sales and repair vendor for Dell. So if anything goes wrong, I just call Rusty, instead of Dell, and he takes care of it. Of course he complains sometimes, but hey, that's his problem Cheesy Cheesy

Only your next few days Shocked  Your either very good or very efficient Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: