Kara-Moon Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:26:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: an untitled song  (Read 7611 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: September 15, 2007, 07:52:12 PM »

I pulled one out of my “things I should really finish” archives.  I tried to clean it up a little but I’ll let you decide how I did.

As you can tell by the title there is no title!  That’s just the date I started the project so I’m open for suggestions here as well.

Constructive criticism is always welcomed - MarioD

* 1-2-2007.mp3 (2550.61 KB - downloaded 337 times.)

The older I get the better I was!
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 08:18:48 PM »

ok, my honnest opinion, as usual  Undecided

The song is good, very good even
Trying to play that lead with a guitar is IMHO an error, it asks for a lead with a synth because it is a synth song...
I comes back about what I've allways try to defend, and allso a reason why I created this forum.
If you need a synh lead ask a keyboard player, if you need a flute or a clarinet ask a wind instrument player and if you need a guitar ask a guitar player

We have progressed a lot in technology and in virtual studios now you can do a lot nowadays, but you can't allways replace the 'real' thing, whatever the real thing is in your song

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 08:37:26 PM »

Good tune.
I think a guitar would probably work if there was a second one 'filling the gaps' and maybe bouncing the lead between them.

I don't like the synthpipe instrument that takes over at 0:58 to me it doesn't fit at all.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 09:09:39 PM »

Kara, thanx for listening and your honest opinions.  I appreciate that!

As a brief background I’m a retired ol’ timer who is getting back into music via the computer; I played guitar in wedding bands for years, but I haven’t played out in about 15 years now and there is no one here to jam with.  Thus I’m alone on these projects. I didn’t really think of this as a synth song until you brought it to my attention! I believe you’re right. Thanx for the eye opener!

I do agree with you that computers will never replace us “organics”!

Thanx for you thoughts - MarioD

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:13:04 PM »

Folderol, thanx for listening and your honest opinions. 

What would you suggest to replace the synthpipe instrument?  Think in terms of both using the guitar lead and replacing the guitar lead with some kind of synth.

Thanx again - MarioD

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 08:03:48 AM »

Mario,

That rythm track is outstanding!

As for the title, it reminds me of a new-age version of a "spagetti western" soundtrack. How about "The Good, The Bad, and The Snuggly"?  Cheesy

Beauty tune!

Oren.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »

Thanx Oren.

Snuggly?  Grin Grin

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 06:28:57 PM »

Folderol, thanx for listening and your honest opinions. 

What would you suggest to replace the synthpipe instrument?  Think in terms of both using the guitar lead and replacing the guitar lead with some kind of synth.

Thanx again - MarioD

That's rather put me on the spot. I should learn to keep my big mouth shut Undecided

I'm not sure at the moment. I'll give it some thought and come back to you on this!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 03:35:43 AM »

Mario,

I agree with Kara that you can't always improvise with synths to emulate organic sounds-however though,my honest opinion as a keyboard workstation player who is constantly striving to make more natural sounding music is this;

More so than anything else,the problem with the synth sounds in your song is the low grade synth itself.It's pretty clear to me that you just need to upgrade your synth source,as you could drastically improve the sounds by just using a better synth.
Of course there are other factors to fine tune a good synth sound,by knowing how to effectively manipulate sounds,along with proper effects implemenation techniques.

To be fair,I have a much better synth to work with than you & ever since Kara made comments about how machined the bass tracks sounded on some of my early songs-it pushed me to improve as a musician,by focusing more on technique,rather than just throwing together a song(which is not to say that you threw your song together,but rather I was sloppy in throwing my earlier songs together).

Point in fact;it's the weakness of the synth primarily.

It's really tough to do everything yourself,but if you have good equipment to work with,it really makes a difference.

Of course I understand your mainly a guitar player and you may not have the resources to upgrade your synth and if that is the case,then bringing in a keyboard player would be the ideal thing,as buying a synth with authentic sounding patches is very expensive-especially if you want the best,like Kurzweil.

Aside from all this mentioned,it's a very nice,collective & transcendental little ditty with superb effort behind it. Cool

Elwood

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 12:21:43 PM »

Elwood, thanx for the info.

You’re right, my synths are inexpensive with some of them freebies.  I would love to have a couple of grand for something really good but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon, unless of course I win the lottery.

Also my ears aren’t the best in the world either.  I was not blessed with “golden ears”.

Thanx for your comments - MarioD

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: