Kara-Moon Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:12:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghost Town  (Read 8347 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: December 17, 2012, 10:47:44 PM »

What has happened to Kara-Moon? I only see a handful of regulars on here these days, and even most of those seldom have much to say.

I know it's normal for people to come and go, but names I recognise are still visiting other music sites and taking active part. Why not here any more?

Where is Mr Moon? Presumably he's still running the site, but I can't remember the last time we heard from him, and the last time he posted any music seems an age away.

The lack of activity here is so depressing. When I remember how active and vibrant Kara-Moon used to be, it almost brings me to tears.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:35:48 AM »

I'm no expert on social media and forums ... but my guess is that 2 issues are occurring:

1. The untimely passing of Ronnie. He was the big promoter of the site and his enthusiasm is missing.

2. So much of the forum communities have moved to Facebook, etc.

Sad.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »

Moon has managed to secure the server for us for another year

Rony was assuredly the spirit of this forum. I don't think any of us realizes how hard he worked to maintain interest in the site. Without him, the social aspect of Kara-Moon is basically... toast... Embarrassed

It is my contention that our forum contains a wealth of information on digital audio engineering and production that may not be available anywhere else on the web. Ordinary people becoming extra-ordinarily familiar with how to wring quality audio out of meager equipment - resourceful, artistic, and able to separate the audio industry's nonsense from genuine practical strategies.

Guys like me - with the social skills of the average baboon - are never going to generate the kind of comradery that a forum like this needs to thrive. But I can certainly respond to musicians' concerns and questions, and help out where possible.
Here's hoping that is enough to warrant the long-term survival of this incredible resource... Smiley

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »

Hear, hear! I have to admit that I'm here way less than I ought to and want to be though, but it's not for not believing in the role that the forum has.

It is the case though, that there are plenty of other social media to maintain and work with as was stated earlier in this thread and if I'm honest, it's kind of hard to keep a regular presence on every place. Currently, for example, my main focus is on the 87PM Facebook site.

There's also the element of a vicious circle though: less activity gets you visiting the forum less, and people visiting the forum begets less activity. Also the problem that sometimes the depth of this forum can be offputting (I'm sounding more negative here then I really mean to): because the discussions and the tracks that you can listen to require some time investment, you're less easily pulled in for a quick reaction. A quick 'like' if you want, that'd at least maintain your presence in a discussion.

So - what would be the solution? For myself, integrating into an environment that allows casual discussion and notifies you of stuff such as Facebook does would be one solution. However, I know that that isn't a preferable alternative for many of you. An alternative would be to simply increase the activity - but that would require an influx of more people.

Let me suggest this then: why not combine the two and work with the best of a social media platform and the depth that this forum allows? If a Kara-Moon forum page would be created on Facebook it could be easily used to promote this forum and some threads could be cherry picked and posted on the FB page, linking to this place. I'd be more than happy to promote it on the 87PM page.

Also known as Marc JXP
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 02:33:05 PM »

Unfortunately for the forum I’m from the same congress as baboons as Oren. That did cost me my job as a Wal-Mart greeter. I got fired for saying “Get your crap and get out”!

Ronny was the spark plug for sure.  But this is still one of the friendliest sites on the web.  There is a lot of knowledge here that is freely shared by some of the best musicians on the web.  I sincerely mean that!

Collaborations are at an all time low however for many of us life has gotten in the way of music making.  At least it has been for James and me. Maybe after the holidays we should discuss how to get them going again? Maybe we could have someone put up a chord progression and have everyone work on his own song based on it? And/or have people do one part of the song.  Just thoughts of the top of my head.

The older I get the better I was!
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »

Embarrassed
Guilty as charged.

I try to visit here every day to check in and see if there are any problems.
Just now I am so busy with family stuff. What with grandson taking over and second daughter in the process of house buying my like is not my own. In fact I've just arrived back home after yet another trip to Edinburgh to sort out her problems.
I shall try my best to get some music on here as soon as I can, friends.
 Wink
James.

Azell

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »

Merci à vous de chercher des solutions. J'aimerai vraiment que ce forum continue d'exister. Il ne le peut qu'avec vous et votre art. Je viens presque chaque jour lire les nouvelles, mais je n'ai pas les connaissances de Rony pour prendre part à toutes vos discussions. Il était le moteur originel, il faut trouver un moteur de remplacement... Moon est certainement très occupé par sa vie privée et professionnelle. Il est aussi plus axé sur la partie développeur. JE COMPTE SUR VOUS, hier, Rony aurait eu 54 ans... Ne l'abandonnez pas au néant.
Thank you to look for solutions. I really love that this forum continues to exist. He can with you and your art. I come almost every day to read the news, but I do not have the knowledge Rony to take part in all your discussions. He was the original engine, we must find a replacement engine ... Moon is certainly very busy with his private and professional life. It is also more focused on the developer. COUNTING ON YOU yesterday Rony would have been 54 years ... Do not abandon nothingness.
Merci
Azell

Kara pour toujours
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:19:41 PM »

The concept promoted by Marc makes a lot of sense, given the dynamics of the web experience these days.

I'll see if I can set up a page - we'll see where it goes... Kiss
   _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here it is:  www.facebook.com/KaraMoonAudioCommunity.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:55:21 PM by Oren » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »

I've uploaded lots of content to the new Kara-Moon facebook page.
The plan is to include at least one new item every day... Afro

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »

wOO

Also known as Marc JXP
rp314

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »

I don't hang out in many internet forums nowadays but I've noticed something similar happening over at KVR.

They get more regular traffic, of course, but it's not too uncommon to go into one of their more popular subforums only to find none of the regulars.

Also, I recall that years ago one could make reference to some fairly obscure cultural stuff and there would usually be at least some who would get into a conversation about it. Currently, there seems to be fewer such folks there on any kind of a regular basis. More and more threads seem to get zero replies.

I'm sure some of this is seasonal but I still think that there are some fundamental changes taking place of the kind that are usually beyond one's control.

So it goes. Enjoy it while it lasts, no? Wink
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 05:03:37 AM »

What has happened to Kara-Moon? I only see a handful of regulars on here these days, and even most of those seldom have much to say.

I know it's normal for people to come and go, but names I recognise are still visiting other music sites and taking active part. Why not here any more?

Where is Mr Moon? Presumably he's still running the site, but I can't remember the last time we heard from him, and the last time he posted any music seems an age away.

The lack of activity here is so depressing. When I remember how active and vibrant Kara-Moon used to be, it almost brings me to tears.

I've brought up this very topic on several occasions and even before Rony's passing,I've noticed a consistent and ongoing decline of K-M members.
Over the years,I've tried to keep in touch with Elv and Martin,by contacting them via KVR...but in doing so,thy made excuses...such as saying; "well...so & so has left and some others had left K-M,which is one of the reasons I left".
Eventually,both of these guys left KVR and blocked me from contacting them via e-mail.
Since then,I have scoured the internet for prospective members and only succeeded in getting a few to pop in and say hello and then they just disappeared.
I've lost a lot of my friends in my personal life in recent years,so I guess I'm not very good with people and apparently I don't have much to offer,as a friend.
Incidentally,I've been struggling to find some meaning and purpose in my life lately,so I've been very depressed,which is why I haven't been making music and have not participated in K-M very much.
I think about Rony and Wyatt often...which takes a lot of the wind out of my sails...so it would be nice to see Moon pop in from time to time.
I know he's busy...but then,who on earth,was busier than Rony and yet,he managed to be present on this forum-each and every day. Huh With that said,I just figured that Moon stayed away,because K-M is probably just a bad memory for him,because of Rony and I have to admit that I really didn't want to be around K-M that much...in the few months since his passing.

In the last few weeks,I have just immersed myself in movies,video games and YouTube videos,as I had become so incredibly burnt out on writing music...as it's all I have done for so long.

I seriously need a change and I'm waiting for my real life to begin,but I don't know where to begin....perhaps my outing to my brother's home for the holidays will reinvigorate me a bit and I'm hoping the new year will bring the changes I need.

I'm very pleased about the K-M FB page,but I don't know how I could possibly return to Facebook,without being financially decimated and having my PC's destroyed as well. Huh

Lately,I have used IObit Malware Fighter to keep my PC spotless,but no software force on earth,can save me from Facebook's filth...at least none that I'm aware of.

-Thom  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:08:33 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Azell

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »

Thom, je souhaite de tout coeur que cette nouvelle année soit la meilleure de ton existence. Puisses-tu trouver les réponses essentielles à ta vie et enfin vivre heureux et en harmonie avec toi-même. L'harmonie avec les autres viendra juste derrière. Bonnes vacances, profites des bons moments au maximum.
Toute mon amitié t'accompagne.
Thom, I sincerely hope that this new year be the best of your life. May you find essential answers to your life and finally live happily and in harmony with yourself. Harmony with others come behind. Happy holidays, enjoy the good times maximum.
All my friendship go with you.
Azell  Kiss

Kara pour toujours
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 08:30:58 PM »

Thom, je souhaite de tout coeur que cette nouvelle année soit la meilleure de ton existence. Puisses-tu trouver les réponses essentielles à ta vie et enfin vivre heureux et en harmonie avec toi-même. L'harmonie avec les autres viendra juste derrière. Bonnes vacances, profites des bons moments au maximum.
Toute mon amitié t'accompagne.
Thom, I sincerely hope that this new year be the best of your life. May you find essential answers to your life and finally live happily and in harmony with yourself. Harmony with others come behind. Happy holidays, enjoy the good times maximum.
All my friendship go with you.
Azell  Kiss

Thanks Azell.Happy holidays & all my best to you in the new year. Vacances grâce Azell.Happy et tout mon mieux pour vous dans la nouvelle année. Kiss

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »

Well, sorry I rather disappeared after staring this thread, but I find it encouraging that there have been so many responses.

I'm beginning to wonder if some of the apparent lack of interest here and elsewhere is down to the general worry and depression of a prolonged international recession. I know I have to be far more careful about my finances than I ever used to and things just don't seem to be so much 'fun' anymore. Let's hope 2013 sees an improvement.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: