Kara-Moon Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:13:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sea Before Me  (Read 7366 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: March 03, 2009, 03:24:44 AM »

A sea of inspiration was welling up inside me,so I figured I'd write a sea song. Grin

* The Sea Before Me.mp3 (2678.36 KB - downloaded 260 times.)

* Autumn 045.JPG (1845.53 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 504 times.)

Talvin

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »

I think the beginning of the song is very atmospheric as is the ending. I was surprised when the next part started. All in all it's like 3-4 different songs, but that was probably your intention.

As to the mix...well I'd like to make some suggestions (please don't take it as me being rude, I just want to give some advice on how to improve the mix/the song).

I think you should mix the middle part in a different way. To my ears you could bring up the bass drum more to the front. The snare doesn't "bite", it could use some tweaking. The bass is maybe a tad too loud.

Ever thought of a different reverb to make your production sound "bigger".

I am not really an expert when it comes to instrumentals, so these are just my thoughts.
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:50:16 AM »

Talvin,

I would never consider constructive criticism to be rude,as that's one of the integral elements of what makes this forum what it is. Cool
Ever since I dug into this new software for the first time & began to learn my way through it,I have been going absolutely ape-sh*t...just playing around with everything & experimenting like crazy.

As a result,I have been staying up very late,so I had to use headphones in the wee hours of the morning & that is why this mix is unbalanced.....I wanted a big fat thumpy bass & I just ended up taking it too far,but as for the drums...this was deliberate,because I was looking for a unique sounding drum track.

Thanks for the comments & for listening! Cool

-Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:53:34 PM »

Very much liked the start and end, but not the middle. There are some great sounds and you seem to be getting a good handle on them - it's just a personal preference thing.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:32:48 PM »

Thanks for the comments Will. Cool

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:45:30 PM »

Thom, to me this is three different songs thrown together.  Each section is very good, i.e good rhythms, tones, bass lines etc. But to my old ears this just didn’t blend very well.  Virtually all of your songs consist of very different parts (instead of taking one theme and playing off that theme)  and in 99 percent of the time you pull it off perfectly. IMHO that didn’t happen here, but that just could be me, i.e. personal preference. 

Having said that I must say that the mix was excellent on the first and last sections.  The mid was very good but just a tad too much on bass.  Not so much that it really distracted from the song but just enough to feel it.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:29:24 AM »

Mario,

Thanks for the input,review & comments-much appreciated. Cool

-Thom

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »

It sounds like sharp transitions are not really appreciated here.
Well this is not bad, I like the contrast between the electronic main theme and the quieter section.
Certainly not mainstream, but appreciable and interesting

Cheers
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 12:12:09 PM »

Thanks for the comments L.R..

-Thom

blipp
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:43:56 PM »

Still continuing to surprise and again so many ideas. Your brain must firing like mad, i wish i could come up with as many.  My fave bit was at about 2:04. That would make a nice ambient track on it's own. 
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 01:52:45 PM »

Blipp,

I had just recently purchased my softsynth-ware for the first time & additionally,I am retired...hence the reason why my brain is firing off so much! Wink Cheesy
I'm sure your new bass guitar will bring you much inspiration,as you are already off to an amazing
start!
Thanks for your nice comments. Cool

-Thom

TristezaOrange

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »

Well, I think it's great! I don't think that the transitions are too abrupt, only thing I'd change is the reverb on that dulcimer-y/guitary sound - TBH I'd do what I always do lately and throw some medium hall from EpicVerb on its ass  Grin Also, layer a second (and even third) snare to make the snare really CRACK! Smiley

Download my "Aerial And Trail EP" for free on Jamendo or buy it for peanuts at Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »

It seems that you & Laguna Rising have overlooked the fact that I have already completed a second version of this song,some time ago.
It's further down the list and it's the one that has the label; "Voyage Mix" in parenthesis,next to the title.

It would be interesting to know what you both think of my newer version.

Thanks for the comments on this one. Cool

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: