Kara-Moon Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:00:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Operation Frostbite & Shadows of Cataclysm -- downtempo electronica  (Read 4890 times)
Northern_Fist

« on: November 20, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »

Greetings,

It has been a loooong time, but in spite of my absence I haven't stopped making music.

Here's a number that I created a few months ago. It is inspired by the idea of me creating music for a video game -- specifically a breakbeat ambiance for an arctic climate of a mission with a stronger sci-fi feel. It is downtempo that combines ambient, breaks, and IDM. I have a youTube link for you to stream:

youTube Video

Tools of the Trade:
FL Studio 8.5 (beta at the time)
Reaktor 5 (I LOVE this plug)
z3ta+
Linplug's Octopus
Philharmonik Miroslav
V-Station
Majken's Chimera (freeware)

I'll try to make my rounds here as time permits. I'm having an unusual weekend and I'm also in the middle of picking up a new sequencer.

If you have more time to listen... check out "Shadows of Cataclysm". This is inspired by science fiction of the dark and cosmic element.

Shadow of Cataclysm

Any comments are welcome.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:29:30 PM by Northern_Fist » Logged

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
- The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-85)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »

'Frostbite' I liked very much. Enjoyed the build up, then no-nonsese solid beat.

'Cataclysm' I was less keen on, there didn't seem to be so much going on and I found it became a bit monotonous.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:02:06 PM »

'Frostbite' I liked very much.
Frostbite is my favourite of your most recent batch. Crisp, spacious, percussive. wOO

Northern_Fist

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 02:52:31 AM »

Thank you for the comments!

Yeah, I had a feeling that Frostbite was a better developed track, because I wasn't so focused on what it was suppose to sound like. I was more having fun jamming with various sounds that I thought contributed to the overall mood.

Shadow of Cataclysm focused entirely on a "Doom 3" type of mood. Therefore, I limited myself to variation and felt like everything I did was like playing Jenga with sound. Any suggestions on what could have been better?

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
- The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-85)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »

If Doom 3 is your model, and you have successfully emulated the genre, then we have arrived. Done deal.
(not having heard anything from Doom 3, I ain't one to judge Cheesy)

impablomations

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »

Sounds pretty good there, You've certainly cooked up something in the Doom 3 vibe.  I've loved all the Doom games, it certainly matches the mood.

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »

I like Sci-Fi soundscapes so I found Operation Frostbite to be very good.  Great choice of sounds and rhythms here.  Two thumbs up.

I also liked the Shadows of Cataclysm however I thought it was a tad to long.  Again great choice of sounds and rhythms.

The older I get the better I was!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: