Kara-Moon Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:57:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vista vs. XP  (Read 8137 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: November 29, 2007, 02:45:26 AM »

Here

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=204203975

is some interesting information about Vista vs XP.  It would appear that if you want speed you should go with XP.

Now that’s a big black eye for MS!

Happy reading - MarioD

The older I get the better I was!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:40:33 AM »

Thanks, Mario!

I've just retired my old music computer, but have another one thats almost new and plenty fast, running on XP Pro. Every time I think about the prospect of moving away from BIAB and PowerTracks when the new Linux computer is doing all my music chores, well  Cry

If there was a workable way to stick with XP Pro permanently, I would, but microflacid has a lot of ways of "motivating" users to upgrade. So this machine with XP Pro will likely last through 2 more years of hard use, then, goodbye windoze. Too bad, really  Undecided

Oren.

Servetus

Heretic

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:35:01 PM »

Muahahaha...

My hunch was correct! (This is great evidence for a long time argument between my father and I).

I am a windows user, but I've never liked vista, yeah it's pretty, but I care more about performance, I'm looking into linux currently, but that is more of a novelty project for me. I'll stick with XP pro for now.

Thanks for the post.

-Servetus

I like.. sound.
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:44:40 PM »

this article confirms my sensation that Vista was lacking performance and more 'heavy' to run.... Grin

Cheers
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:04:24 PM »

As most of you know, I'm not a Windows user at all, but even discounting any bias I might have, the feeling I get from everyone I know with a computer is 'don't go an inch beyond XP'.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
NeoN

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 12:05:03 AM »

I'm using Windows Xp with a Vista Theme! Grin
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 12:22:03 AM »

I guess that's half an inch then  Huh

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 09:03:37 AM »

As most of you know, I'm not a Windows user at all, but even discounting any bias I might have, the feeling I get from everyone I know with a computer is 'don't go an inch beyond XP'.

at the moment.................  ...Yes !!!

I'm using Windows Xp with a Vista Theme! Grin

Grin LOL
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 09:36:34 AM »

I have some news for you guys. There will be a service pack 3 for XP which will benefit the performance as well.

Read this:

We were pleasantly surprised to discover that Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v.3244) delivers a measurable performance boost to this aging desktop OS. Testing with OfficeBench showed an ~10% performance boost vs. the same configuration running under Windows XP w/Service Pack 2.

Since SP3 was supposed to be mostly a bug-fix/patch consolidation release - unlike w/Vista SP1, Microsoft made no promises of improved performance for XP - the unexpected speed boost comes as a nice bonus. In fact, XP SP3 is shaping-up to be a "must have" update for the majority of users who are still running Redmond's not-so-latest and greatest desktop OS.

Of course, none of this bodes well for Vista, which is now more than 2x slower than the most current builds of its older sibling. Suffice to say that performance-minded users will likely choose to stick with the now even speedier Windows XP - at least until more "Windows 7" information becomes publicly available.

OK, Vista is 2x slower. And needs 1gb of memory as well. That says it all.
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 11:20:48 AM »

Interesting article Martin, I like when it says "~10% performance boost" calling it "...nice bonus..."
I think the XP os will last longer than expected... Wink
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 01:04:43 PM »

That’s good news.  Thanx for sharing that Martin.

My take on Vista is that Vista is the new ME!  I believe that the backlash from Vista will force MS to come out with a new OS very soon, much like XP did after ME failed.

Either way I’m sticking with XP Pro until I’m forced to change.  Hopefully by that time all of my software and hardware will have drivers for Linux!

The older I get the better I was!
NeoN

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »

I agree with you Guys. I believe we have to wait a little
before moving to Windows Vista.
Some programs say that they work better and faster in Windows Vista though Huh
I haven't tried them yet.
BTW this is the Theme I'm talking about Cheesy

* Vista-XP.jpg (463.86 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 548 times.)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:00:01 PM by NeoN » Logged
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »

Whoa..Martin!  Thanks for the article..

10% performance boost is teriffic!!

I got a 10% Horsepower boost on my truck
a while back..10% you will definitely notice!!

Grin  Vroom,

Wyatt
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:18:53 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: