Kara-Moon Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:55:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wonders Of Technology  (Read 8336 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: October 08, 2011, 01:49:04 AM »

About 6 1/2 years ago,I bought my first computer monitor(which is a 19") and I had paid $329 for it.Although it is still going strong,I had grown frustrated with Reason 4's inability to expand to a full screen mode,so I thought buying a larger monitor would help.
For $20 more,I bought a 26" 1080p LED LCD TV and I am amazed at how the ever advancing technology has made computer monitoring so cheap. Shocked The only thing I am a bit disappointed with,is that even though the all of the graphics on the internet are sharp & clear,my DAW's graphics aren't as such,as they are a bit blurry.

It seems as though DAWs were only designed for the standard size monitors(22" and below),which I find really odd.That being said,I was wondering if any one else here has experienced this?

-Thom

* DSCI0531.JPG (2853.1 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 483 times.)

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 04:50:40 AM »

I'm still using an old Viewsonic 19" display, Thom.
Applications in Linux work rather well with this format. A few pro studios now use Ardour as their DAW, and employ multiple large widescreen format monitors, so I see no problems when it is time to replace this old workhorse.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 04:56:10 AM »

As much as I love my Reason 4,the limited viewing options are arcane & ridiculous. Roll Eyes I don't know...perhaps version 6 has a widescreen format option.....might be worth looking into...

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »

I hear you about technologies advancements. I just bought a 24” 1080p LCD computer monitor for $220 USD.  What a difference from my old 19 incher!

I have a KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) switch on my systems so I can use two computers with one keyboard, mouse and monitor.  My Internet system’s video card has only a VGA so I hooked up both systems to the monitor using VGA. I had the same results as you, i.e. great Internet graphics but slightly blurry Sonar DAW graphics. After I went DVI from my music computer to the monitor the DAW graphics became crystal clear. Note my monitor accepts VGA, HDMI and DVI inputs. My KMV switch works for the mouse and keyboard but now I have to manually select my video input on the monitor when both computers are on and I’m switching from the music to the Internet computer.  No big deal for me!  If only one computer is on then the monitor automatically selects the correct input.

What type of input are you using? VGA, HDMI or DVI? If you have a choice DVI is the best.  My guess that is what you are using now, right?

Also what resolution is your Reason 4 capable of?  I don’t know how old it is but it may not be up to the current standards.  Like you said you might have to upgrade.

Good luck - MarioD

The older I get the better I was!
SLD Music

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »

It seems as though DAWs were only designed for the standard size monitors(22" and below),which I find really odd.That being said,I was wondering if any one else here has experienced this?

I would say Reason is.. unusual in this regard.  In fact, when I demoed Reason 5, I pretty much dismissed it outright precisely BECAUSE of it's fixed resolution and inability to adjust the user interface.  Maybe Reason 6 has updated this, but I have no idea.  That said, Cubase is VERY flexible in this regard, and looks great on my 27" high resolution iMac monitor, and in fact, I think it's even more conducive to having dual monitors (which I don't have on my Mac machine yet, but I did on my Windows machine I was using it on previously).  That was ideal for me since I could place my open plug ins on one monitor and not have them in the way of my arranger or mixer views on the main one.  

As far as other DAW's go, I'm not sure how most of them work in the GUI department, or what the possibilities are.  I know that Ableton Live is pretty much confined to a single monitor setup (although perhaps you can put plug ins on a second monitor), which I found disappointing, although they really do make good use of the space.  As far as I know though, none of them act like Reason 4-5 does in this crazy-small, fixed resolution, vertical rack environment.  I just found it frustrating and sort of unnecessarily confining to work that way, so I didn't give Reason much of a chance.  ::shrug::

ANYhoo... Mario might have hit the nail on the head.  If you're not using a DVI interface for your monitor, that might be contributing to the "blurring" or lack of clarity phenomenon you're experiencing with your DAW.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 01:15:10 PM by SLD Music » Logged
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »

I hear you about technologies advancements. I just bought a 24” 1080p LCD computer monitor for $220 USD.  What a difference from my old 19 incher!

I have a KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) switch on my systems so I can use two computers with one keyboard, mouse and monitor.  My Internet system’s video card has only a VGA so I hooked up both systems to the monitor using VGA. I had the same results as you, i.e. great Internet graphics but slightly blurry Sonar DAW graphics. After I went DVI from my music computer to the monitor the DAW graphics became crystal clear. Note my monitor accepts VGA, HDMI and DVI inputs. My KMV switch works for the mouse and keyboard but now I have to manually select my video input on the monitor when both computers are on and I’m switching from the music to the Internet computer.  No big deal for me!  If only one computer is on then the monitor automatically selects the correct input.
What type of input are you using? VGA, HDMI or DVI? If you have a choice DVI is the best.  My guess that is what you are using now, right?

Also what resolution is your Reason 4 capable of?  I don’t know how old it is but it may not be up to the current standards.  Like you said you might have to upgrade.

Good luck - MarioD

Mario,

I'm curious as to what brand of monitor you bought?I saw a Sceptre 24"1080p LED for $179 @ Wal-Mart....not sure if it has a DVI input,though.
I bought a Westinghouse(which is only $259 at Wal-Mart),but I bought mine at Gettington.com for $349,because of their payment plan.
After doing the math,I only over-paid by about $50...since I didn't have any shipping or tax charges to pay.

As for the current input I'm using,it's VGA.....but I do have the option to use HDMI,so I'll be off to RadioShack to upgrade....thanks for the tip! Cool

Once I get the HDMI cable,I'll take a gander into the preferences in Reason and see what I can come up with.

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »

Scott,

I don't regret investing in Reason 4 and I never will,as the synthesizer engines,effects and the pricing of their acoustical instruments are out of this world and a must have. Cool
Reason 6 looks incredible and I may actually hold off on buying Sonar,to get the 6 upgrade.The only available upgrade to me,is the HDMI,but I think it should suffice.

Thanks for your input. Smiley

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »

Well...I recently returned from RadioShack with an HDMI cable and eureka...what a difference!!    An important note regarding Reason 4; I have discovered that a widescreen monitor is actually ideal for Reason 4,in that Reason allows one to detach the sequencer window and you can either put the sequencer window side by side to the rack window or make the sequencer full screen,if need be.
As indicated in the screenshot below,a widescreen monitor allows for ample viewing of both windows in Reason and I couldn't be happier!
  wOO

-Thom

* Propellerhead Reason 4.PNG (936.22 KB, 1871x1017 - viewed 560 times.)

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »

The difference between a HDMI (or DVI) and the VGA output is that with a digital signal, the monitor does not needs to be synced to the PC since the signal contains the syncing information. With VGA, the monitor need to be synced. If the Monitor with a VGA output is properly synced, the difference between the digital and VGA output becomes very tiny. Most LCD monitors have an auto buttom to sync them with the PC. If the VGA card sends out a clean signal, one should obtain a clear image.

In case you use a HDMI, indeed, you don't have the worry because the signal will be transleted crystal clear into a very sharp image !

Moon
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 06:58:55 PM »

On a slight side issue, it's interesting that I prefer the old 4:3 format monitor for office work where I'm mostly looking at documents, but I find wide screen is better for audio programs - especially sequencers and trackers.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 07:20:20 PM »

The difference between a HDMI (or DVI) and the VGA output is that with a digital signal, the monitor does not needs to be synced to the PC since the signal contains the syncing information. With VGA, the monitor need to be synced. If the Monitor with a VGA output is properly synced, the difference between the digital and VGA output becomes very tiny. Most LCD monitors have an auto buttom to sync them with the PC. If the VGA card sends out a clean signal, one should obtain a clear image.

In case you use a HDMI, indeed, you don't have the worry because the signal will be transleted crystal clear into a very sharp image !

Moon

This is good to know-as it could have saved me an extra $24 bucks,but because of the way the VGA input on my TV is situated,I much prefer the HDMI cable. Smiley

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

Thom, I have a HP2509b monitor, http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/hp-pavilion-2509b/4507-3174_7-34505025.html

It was on sale at Office Max for $220, a savings of $49.  I bought it because I can select what video input to use, just like a TV.

I’m glad things worked out ok for you.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »

Thom, I have a HP2509b monitor, http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/hp-pavilion-2509b/4507-3174_7-34505025.html

It was on sale at Office Max for $220, a savings of $49.  I bought it because I can select what video input to use, just like a TV.

I’m glad things worked out ok for you.

Helluva nice monitor you have there. Cool Here's the LED TV I was referring to; http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LEDTV/Specs/E240%20Color%20Series/E240%20Color%20Series%20MainPage.htm

Don't know what the differences are between DVI & HDMI are,as all I know is that I can't imagine a better picture than what I already have! Cool

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »

According to this article,DVI is ideal for connecting a PC to a PC monitor,whereas HDMI is ideal for connecting a PC to a HDTV monitor.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196618/decide_between_vga_dvi_and_hdmi_for_your_monitor_connection.html

That being said,I am especially pleased with my purchase and in my opinion,an HDTV is the overall better value,because of the many different uses,along with the ability to go as large as you want,with the display. Cheesy

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: