Kara-Moon Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:03:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: question from new user  (Read 6366 times)
jlb

« on: April 19, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »

Hello,
I have *just* found out about mma and am quite interested in it.  I have installed it and tried some of the simple example files.  Works very nicely, seems that, while it appears to have a lot of capability, it also is easy to scale down to much simpler tasks (like some practice backup tracks, for example).   Thank you very much for your efforts in developing this.

I have a couple of questions.  I have installed the version from the debian repository, which I believe is 1.2.  It worked fine with the simple example files, but when I tried a file that I found in these forums with an acoustic guitar track (I think this thread was in January of 2009), I started getting some errors (articulation had to be 1..100, and it was 105; key signature had to be defined as # of sharps / flats, rather than, for example Bb, and other errors).

Am I correct in assuming that these errors are a result of me using an outdated version?  Also, am I correct in assuming that the debian repository is not being / will not be kept up to date?

I hope that it is acceptable to ask these types of questions here.  I did not see other alternative locations or methods.  If not, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jerry
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:14 PM »

I have a couple of questions.  I have installed the version from the debian repository, which I believe is 1.2.  It worked fine with the simple example files, but when I tried a file that I found in these forums with an acoustic guitar track (I think this thread was in January of 2009), I started getting some errors (articulation had to be 1..100, and it was 105; key signature had to be defined as # of sharps / flats, rather than, for example Bb, and other errors).

Yes, you have a VERY old version. Sorry, I'm not responsible for the debian repositories.

Am I correct in assuming that these errors are a result of me using an outdated version?  Also, am I correct in assuming that the debian repository is not being / will not be kept up to date?

I have asked for the 0.12 version in the repository to be deleted. No success. I've also offered to update to a current version ... no response.

Honestly, I don't know what to do with this. From what I can figure one needs to be a member of the "club" to gain access ... and to do this one needs to be "sponsored" and "mentored", or a project needs an existing "member" to adopt the project.  I'm way too busy to play games with the debian folk, and to be perfectly honest ... I don't really care if MMA is in debian or not. If someone wants to adopt MMA and update the repositories I'll help out where I can. In the meantime, there is a .deb (and tar and rpm) on my site which appear to work well AND which I keep up-to-date and current.

I'm not trying to be negative on the debian folk or their policies. And, no I'm not pissed 'cause I'm not a member Smiley

And, if you do have questions about MMA, feel free to post them here to to contact me directly.

Have fun making music!

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
jlb

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:59 PM »

FYI, I did remove the mma that I installed from the debain repository (version 1.2) and downloaded the latest (1.5e), installed and re-tried the acousticguitar file.  No errors this time.  So I think I can assume that version 1.2 simply was not able to process the acousticguitar file.

Now I have quite a lot of reading to do in the manuals and tutorials to get started using this tool ).

Thanks again for making it available,
Jerry
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »

Good to hear that everything is up & running now  Cool
Have a look allso at our repository of MMA songs :
http://www.kara-moon.com/index.php?modid=mod02&l_submenu_id=m001_02_07   

Great choice to start with

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
jlb

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »

Thanks, Kara.

I'm have not yet gotten through them manual, but I have looked at a few of the example songs you pointed out.  The ones that I've seen have been converted to mma from biab using a perl script, I believe.  Many of these have lines like '// subStyle1' in them, which are comments, and so do not affect the resultant output.  My question regarding this, then is, what is a similar function in mma?  Would a change of 'substyle' be affected by using a different groove at specific points in the song?

Second, a bit more specific question, on the song "Time of Your Life".  I just happened to notice, in bar 20 of that song, there is a syntax that I have not yet found in the manual (but I, as I said, have not spent a lot of time yet).  I'm referring to the 'G/B' on the first beat of the measure.  Is this playing both chords on the first beat (and subsequent beats, as well, since they are repeated)?  I just had not seen this notation / syntax, and was curious what it is accomplishing.

Thanks,
Jerry
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »

Thanks, Kara.

This is Bob ...

I'm have not yet gotten through them manual, but I have looked at a few of the example songs you pointed out.  The ones that I've seen have been converted to mma from biab using a perl script, I believe.  Many of these have lines like '// subStyle1' in them, which are comments, and so do not affect the resultant output.  My question regarding this, then is, what is a similar function in mma?  Would a change of 'substyle' be affected by using a different groove at specific points in the song?

The joys of automatic conversions Smiley Yes, you have it correct ... when you see something like this you need to put in the appropriate groove. So, for example, if you are using a "Waltz" groove a "substyle" might be "Groove WaltzSus". You're in control.

Second, a bit more specific question, on the song "Time of Your Life".  I just happened to notice, in bar 20 of that song, there is a syntax that I have not yet found in the manual (but I, as I said, have not spent a lot of time yet).  I'm referring to the 'G/B' on the first beat of the measure.  Is this playing both chords on the first beat (and subsequent beats, as well, since they are repeated)?  I just had not seen this notation / syntax, and was curious what it is accomplishing.

A notation G/B is (probably) a slash chord. It's covered in the manual in the "Chord" appendix. The VERY simple answer is that G/B means a G chord with a "B" bass note.

Unfortunately, the syntax of chord notation is not standardized!

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:24:03 PM »

I should mention that the package of 600+ songs at

http://mellowood.ca/mma/examples.html#songs

are all custom crafted for MMA. Most are quite good and some are very good Smiley

jlb

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:57:34 AM »

Thanks, Bob, and the examples are indeed helpful.  I don't know how I missed those the first time through.  I guess I was overlooked them and then saw the examples mentioned on the forum posts.

Thanks very much.  This really is very, very nice....  I *am* having fun.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: