Kara-Moon Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:06:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: kvr Movie  (Read 4203 times)
shrikant

« on: August 24, 2010, 04:10:36 PM »

This is supposed to be a Movie Theme music.

Cherry is a young girl abandoned by her mother and lover in a remote hospital on the outskirts of a small town.The story suggests she might  have suffered from some incurable disease. There is a lonely path behind the long stretch of the hospital wall.Maple wood trees line it. There is a steep incline peaking near the hospital wall. The slope after that follows is also steep. A lonely postman is assigned that route as some youngster is found unsuitable for the job. The path is covered with snow and the  fallen leaves(maple) of various colors rustle as he pushes his bicycle up. He is lonely,emaciated,fastidious and probably longing for love. The girl who is already dead (I am giving away the story to enable the musician to know what to expect from the track) stops him many times on the lonely road and asks for letters from her mother and lover which never come. The postman lends her his handkerchief as she begs him to give her some gift as no one visits her or loves her. At the end he goes to meet her keeping his promise. He is directed to the morgue where he finds the  dead body of the girl holding on to the kerchief he gave her. She was dead long before they ever met.This is the short story written by the well known Chinese writer Su Tong.
Zhang Yimou directed his story "Raise the Red Lantern" to great critical acclaim.

It is very difficult to make music for a film without looking at the visuals and also without listening to the spoken words,other sounds and the silences used on the track. I have tried to catch the general drift of loneliness,racing heartbeats,and the echoes of sadness lingering in the narrative. The track can be begun with the title card and the ending suggests the unrequited love and new realization about the characters.It is only at the end do we know that the girl was long dead.
The track has only drums, Piano and the Chinese flute on it. The instruments/tracks can be independently separated,speed ed up,slowed down and/or mixed to fit the narrative.
Happy Ghost Busting !!

* 1008_shrikant_ Cherry.mp3 (4221.22 KB - downloaded 419 times.)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:21:02 PM »

After reading your introduction I said, “How is he going to pull this off”?

Well you masterfully pulled it off!  I was visualizing every thing in your text!

It’s amazing how a little intro and music can move people.

Two thumbs up!

The older I get the better I was!
shrikant

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 01:51:15 AM »

Thanks Mario,
Just now posted the following reply at kvr in response to a review, which probably is appropriate here to reproduce Because one day or the other some of us will be charmed into making music for a movie.
May not be for Hollywood. But may be for a friend/for yourself.This is what I wrote :
Thanks for the review and suggestions. My inspiration came from that old french silent movie Happy Anniversary (1962 oscar winner)An excellent example of movie music where the characters get identified through the music.The leitmotif keeps repeating at well structured slots/moments.Music plays an extremely important role of the narrator without making its presence felt overwhelmingly. Hollywood has destroyed the fine art of movie music with heavy orchestration.(IMHO) Mine was an idea for a short film. As you rightly said it is a sound set. For later evolution and development of these bits into longer appropriate versions in consultation/collaboration with the "client"

Thanks once again.

shrikant
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:27:17 PM »

... I was visualizing every thing in your text!
It’s amazing how a little intro and music can move people...

An ingenious use of time and pitch to treat the listener to an emotional narrative. I was particularly impressed at how your minimalist arrangement and selection of instruments got the job done.

shrikant

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 01:01:15 AM »

... I was visualizing every thing in your text!
It’s amazing how a little intro and music can move people...

An ingenious use of time and pitch to treat the listener to an emotional narrative. I was particularly impressed at how your minimalist arrangement and selection of instruments got the job done.

Thanks. If possible, please read the story available in English.I was impressed reading it in a translation
in my own language. It was powerful even then. A musician is the most important part of any movie. Many a times people choose to make  it brutal.  Grin

Thanks once again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: