Kara-Moon Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:31:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fellowship Of The Ring  (Read 5502 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: May 02, 2012, 03:37:53 AM »

Having never read Lord Of The Rings(as I never read anything that wasn't required reading as a kid),I was unfamiliar with J.R.R.Tolkien's masterful trilogy.There's an incredible amount of interesting history behind his whole series and in recent years,I had become aware of it's existence through friends,but never felt compelled to delve into it.
A few years ago,I had caught the beginning of Lord Of The Rings on a cable channel(about 6 or 7 minutes into it and watched about 15 minutes of it)...but I found it to be a bit too cute and "Disney"-like,and I dismissed it as a children's film.

The other day however,I saw a special edition Lord Of The Rings on DVD for $5 and couldn't pass it by.Once I got about 25 minutes into it or so,I became hooked into it & grew very fascinated by the story....so much so,that I quickly went out and purchased the two sequels,as I was obsessed,at that point!
Each chapter of the trilogy was more immersing and I was profoundly impressed by the cast,the depth of the characters & story,the locations,the costumes,the sets,the tremendous landscapes of New Zealand and the most amazing thing,was that despite the fact that each movie had an average length of about 3 hours,it all went by so fast!
The documentary content was amazing as well,learning that the 3 years of filming,all took place in New Zealand,cost 285 million to make and it was the 5th highest grossing film in movie history!

Due to the enormous length of the first film and the amount of inspiration I drew from it,I had a difficult time condensing it all into a length that would fit into this forum,so I decided that this piece would be one of three songs that I will create.

-Thom

* Fellowship Of The Ring.mp3 (7334.16 KB - downloaded 256 times.)

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »

Shocked
WOW,

this is some undertaking, Thom.

Speaking as a life-long Tolkien fan, having been brought up on his epics and (breaking my personal rule about sitting in modern cinemas alongside the great un-washed) being a huge appreciator of the screen version, this is absolutely first rate. You have, as usual, captured a certain spirit of the movie and your incorporation of the dialogue sections is seamless.

My only (personal) problem is that the original music used in those movies is so perfectly balanced to the stories and is so recognisable to those who have watched that this version just sounds like it should be for a different movie altogether.  Undecided

Apart from that this is astounding work, young man.  wOO

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:31:21 PM »

Shocked
WOW,

this is some undertaking, Thom.

Speaking as a life-long Tolkien fan, having been brought up on his epics and (breaking my personal rule about sitting in modern cinemas alongside the great un-washed) being a huge appreciator of the screen version, this is absolutely first rate. You have, as usual, captured a certain spirit of the movie and your incorporation of the dialogue sections is seamless.

My only (personal) problem is that the original music used in those movies is so perfectly balanced to the stories and is so recognisable to those who have watched that this version just sounds like it should be for a different movie altogether.  Undecided

Apart from that this is astounding work, young man.  wOO

Wink
James

Thanks for the kind accolades,James! Cool My personal problem,is that I did not want to do a cover song(I've done plenty of those for fun),so I wanted to pay tribute to this story in my own way...while trying to be true to the style of the theme in some way,but still make it unique,by going with my style of writing.

Maybe it's sacrilege to some...if so,then so be it....to each his/her own.

-Thom

SLD Music

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »

Very nice, Thom.  Smiley

Looking forward to hearing the rest.
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »

Excellent atmospheric piece. Like James, I tend to hear echos of the film soundtrack due to familiarity, but this in no way detracts from your work, which I think of as complementary music rather than a replacement.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »

Thanks guys! Cool

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »

... astounding work, young man...