Kara-Moon Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:02:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problemshooting... eehrrr.. I mean troubleshooting  (Read 7393 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: April 12, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »

OK, just had a severe problem with my DAW: after a year of flawless functioning, my ever stable DAW let me down, and crashed every 5 minutes or refused to boot up, complaining it couldn't find windows....  Embarrassed

How to solve this: opening the case, getting the boot HD out, check the cables and connect it to another SATA post. This time, I had now problems booting up. First thing to do... recover all my data.

After the recovery of the data, I executed a "chkdsk c: /f" in the DOS window. This shedules a checkdisk at the next reboot.

Rebooting: the chkdsk reported some free space which was still allocated, but further than that no problems. The HD seems still OK.

Next step: just to be sure, I replaced the SATA cable and kept the connection on another SATA port.

After some stress testing the systems seems stable again: my guess is that there were problems with the SATA connection.

If you ever run into a HD problem, I hope this info might help you.

Moon
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 03:56:49 PM by Moon » Logged
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:46:20 PM »

Sounds like a good idea!

(The popular term is actually "troubleshooting".  Problemshooting is when you can't hit what you're aiming at when practicing with the family shotgun. Like when you try and kill that fox who is eating your chickens, but instead shoot the neighbor's dog. Nasty)

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »

(The popular term is actually "troubleshooting".  Problemshooting is when you can't hit what you're aiming at when practicing with the family shotgun. Like when you try and kill that fox who is eating your chickens, but instead shoot the neighbor's dog. Nasty)

OK, changed the title of this post. Good to have some members that know english !  Wink

Moon
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:08:15 PM »

Cheesy

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »

It's very interesting that you zeroed in on the sata connection. I've had a few spots of bother with them both at home and at work. They are actually a very poor design of connector with nowhere near enough mechanical support for the weight and stiffness of cable. Our standard 'cure' now is to use a plastic tie on the cable itself, placed so it takes any pulling, and also provides a small amount of sideways pressure on the connector.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 01:41:27 AM »

I don't like that design either (SATA).
Too easy to damage.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 07:43:51 AM »

Problemshooting is when you can't hit what you're aiming at when practicing with the family shotgun. Like when you try and kill that fox who is eating your chickens, but instead shoot the neighbor's dog. Nasty)

Grin LOL  Grin
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 12:28:39 AM »

Heya Moon..

..yeah I had some problems I was severely wanting to shoot.

Actually, that is a good way to put it.

Cool

Wyatt 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:57:33 AM by Wyatt » Logged

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 07:05:15 AM »

OK, I got it !

* gun.gif (0.04 KB, 1x1 - viewed 547 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: