Kara-Moon Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:48:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Autumn blues?  (Read 6126 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: October 04, 2010, 06:19:50 PM »

Things seem very quiet again, just a handful of entries and hardly anyone bothering to comment. I know forums wax and wane but I do hope this is just a temporary blip and folks will start to take more interest soon.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »

Me too, me too .....

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 08:46:06 PM »

Lips Sealed
Me too,

for the most part it is family, health, cr*p like that ... issues which are keeping me at bay.  Embarrassed

The most I find able to do, at the moment, is to attempt to keep up with the 'over there' contests.  Roll Eyes
It truly is just a ... therapy ... something to make me hang on to this tenuous grip of reality  Roll Eyes

In saying that ....  Grin If someone came up with a FAB idea for a collab ....  wOO
I would be 'all over it like a cheap hooker'    ....  Kiss

but, back to the point .... it is quiet over here ... each time I go to 'the other place' I try to entice folk to join our little throng.  I had some interest from a few, but they never seem to get it  Roll Eyes
This IS the most friendliest, helpful, nicest, informative place on the whole of the interwebby !!! 

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »

Well...a lot of changes have taken place in the last 6 months or so,Wyatt's passing being the most obvious one,some people having a preference for the KVR forum that have left and then there is the odd one or two individuals who have felt that their relationship with this forum has run it's course,so they've moved on.

I had contacted Martin a while back,via his e-mail from his personal website & he told me that he lost interest in K-M forum,because of how many people had dropped out in the past couple of years or so.He did tell me though,that he would visit here from time to time,but who knows. Huh

Wondering about why it's been so quiet lately,is like wondering about why some of the long term members here,have hardly commented at all,in the last 3 years...not too much point in wondering about that,I think.

As for myself,sometimes a fellow member will post a couple of songs that I don't like,but that does not mean that I did not bother to listen intently.
If there is an element or a portion of a section of someone's tune that I like,I will comment....but otherwise,I see no point in reviewing a song that I have no interest in(even though sometimes I feel a little guilty,when someone has commented on a string of songs that I did & I have not returned the feedback equally).

Wyatt once told me that he turned down the offer to be a moderator,because he felt that by being one,he was obligated to comment on every tune,from everyone on the forum.
I sort of understand where he was coming from,since it is better to be honest about what you like and don't like,rather than to just placate everyone,by commenting on a tune you have no interest in.

Sometimes there is that tug of war....where that you want to encourage & nurture your fellow musician,but should one give a false impression,by commenting on everything that everyone has ever done?

I remember one time,long ago...when a former member had complained about not receiving any feedback on his song,despite the fact that he had only posted it only a few hours prior.
I thought it was silly of him to react that way,but still,I chose to just reassure him that he should allow ample time for people to get the chance to respond.

The most difficult time I ever had with a member in terms of feedback was Antonis,because after a while,his music began to take a on rather extreme curve that just didn't interest me at all and I declined from commenting on most of his work.
I felt really horrible about it because he's such a nice guy,but I was honest with him in my explanation of it and seemed that he took it very well at the time,& I was very glad of that.
He hasn't been on here much lately and I don't know if it's due in part to this,or if he just prefers KVR for some other reason. Undecided

As I have said in the past,I've tried numerous times,in an effort to entice people from YouTube,& gear forums,into participating here and despite my success in that,they never stick around for the long haul.

It seems that the internet is made up of mostly transients,who are only interested in talking about gear.About 3 years ago,I joined a forum that was specifically geared towards keyboards,but I left after a short while,because I was accused of soliciting and that I was actually from a company,rather than a simple gear owner...simply because I had a considerable amount more of  gear knowledge,than most of the novices there,who were mainly Casio users...so I left the forum.

I then re-joined the forum recently and got along great with my fellow members,especially with the moderator there.After a while though,I noticed that the moderator-in the 3 years he's been there,that he was only interested in posting his music for feedback,& couldn't be bothered commenting on anyone else's music(with the exception of one comment 2 years ago).

On one particular song of his,I gushed over it,telling him how much I enjoyed his tune and he did not even acknowledge my feedback with even so much as a "thanks for listening".
So with that,I confronted him about it and I got slammed by him and another forum member,for being immature,despite this guy's infantile tirade of excuses as to why he did not comment on other people's music.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the generous sense of community here at K-M and that I should not expect other forums to be this way,but I like to adhere to a code of ethics,with regard to music sections,in ANY forum.

I mean...where are people's manners and common courtesy??Why do such gear forums have a music section to begin with??Aside from all this,the moderator on that forum,really does not have much else to do anyway,apart from talking about gear,as it one of the most quiet gear forums on the internet,as that forum makes this forum seem like Grand Central Station,in terms of internet traffic.

This may very well be the most quiet stretch in K-M's history,but the love and the music flows better here,than anywhere else on the net. Kiss

-Thom
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:33:52 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the generous sense of community here at K-M

-Thom

You hit the nail on the head on why I like K-M! The guys here are fantastic people as well as being accomplished musicians!

I’ve been on other forums where if you don’t play a certain genre of music and/or you don’t use some specific gear or software you are put down.  Here I can post anything knowing I will get no condescending comments. Constructive criticism is one thing but to say something like “this is crap because it isn’t (insert you personal style of music or gear/software)” is wrong.

I personally think it’s slow because a lot of us have enjoyed a good summer and now are either winterizing or upgrading our homes.  It will pick up when the snow starts flying.

The older I get the better I was!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 11:29:57 PM »

... I do hope this is just a temporary blip and folks will start to take more interest soon...

The "blip", in my case, is heaps of music action, but not much of interest to share with the K-M crew, right now.

-Standardizing my production methods and selecting/organizing the most advantageous open-source software for the job is nearly complete.

-Making peace with my inclination toward scruffy electric guitar and distorted vocals is also "in the bag", so to speak. Some nifty songs are in the works as a result of going with this questionable Cheesy flow.

-Taking the time to work through some of the mis-information regarding digital audio, and getting a grip on how to get the best possible sound using the most efficient audio hardware and software is also nearly complete.

(Information from the folks who originally set the standards for digital audio is largely erroneous - they just didn't really  know how to manage the new technology. Marketing departments want us to buy more/newer/faster stuff - and they'll tell us almost anything to make us rush out and get it. Industry professionals want us to believe that we could never do the job as well as they can, and they dispense all kinds of nonsense designed to confuse and mystify. It's really quite a study... Cheesy)

The folks here at K-M are, as Thom says, better than anywhere else on the web. Sometimes we're just too busy making music...
Not a bad thing...
wOO
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:45:58 PM by Oren » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »

One other thing for me to add in terms of my situation,is that my amount of time spent here and my lack of song creating has tapered off a bit,due to my enormous struggle in deciding what my next hardware keyboard is going to be.

I have spent an enormous amount of time on product research and it has pretty much depleted my interest in writing music.

To make a long story short,I became disgusted with the prospect of placing myself under the financial burden of purchasing a Yamaha Motif XF,along with adding the flash RAM boards...all of which would come to a grand total of $3,000 for a 61 note keyboard.

Once I discovered the Casio WK-7500 and since I was familiar with the WK-series sound,I thought the WK-7500 would be a fantastic purchase,since this particular model has all of the basic pro-type recording features I needed and that it would easily be sold for well under a grand.
The release date for the U.S. was originally next week,but has been pushed to spring of 2011 and what's worse,is that at Bonner's Music in the UK,the price is 999.99 which means that I'm looking at a price tag of $1400....for a Casio???Has Casio upgraded this far?...most likely not.
I was originally told the 2nd week of October and I safely estimated the price to be around $700...but how wrong I was in this assumption,apparently.

I was so thrilled that Casio had stepped up to the semi-pro arena and that I could easily afford to buy a keyboard out-right,instead of making payments....but Casio support are comprised of a horde of bleeding imbeciles,so I can't trust ANY of the information they've given me.
It seems that every time I make a firm decision on a piece of gear,that prospect gets thwarted by some unforseen complication and I am piss-tired of it.

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 04:03:30 AM »

...It seems that every time I make a firm decision on a piece of gear,that prospect gets thwarted by some unforseen complication and I am piss-tired of it...
Time to take up zee GEETAR...?... 

* Thom's Guitar.jpg (1.78 KB, 68x94 - viewed 292 times.)

* Thom's Other Guitar.jpg (2.58 KB, 125x94 - viewed 288 times.)

* The REST of Thom's Guitars.jpg (4.92 KB, 129x94 - viewed 301 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 05:34:05 PM »

Wow!
I didn't expect so much response when I made my original comment. Lots of very interesting thoughts here, and actually, very positive ones when you stand back a little.

It seems KM is very much alive and well Wink

That's just as well, cos I'm pretty comfortable chilling out here Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »

I never understood why people don't come here or leave after a certain time... it's just one of those internet things I guess = very big choise of forums.

I do know that we are pretty unique in the sense that :
- We only discuss music here and don't have flame wars on what host,Vsti,... to use.
- We have very good musicians here.
- We only have very friendly people here
- We do a lot of collaborations.
- We have people here with a deep technical knowledge on digital audio, not only software but also hardware.
- We do some quite unique things here, the 'Wyat memorial album' of James and Oren is a perfect example.

So, I'm satisfied  Cool

Even if we don't have a big active member count, I do know that we have a big exposure of the forum.
You can see that on the statistique page, the link is on the bottom of the main page of the forum.
There you can see the number of pageviews in a month, in september we had 57992 page views, which makes an average  of 1933 page views per day !

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: