Kara-Moon Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:59:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone please help me...  (Read 5597 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: September 09, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »

I really need some input on my Cubase AI5 installation(I mean,other then what I've been getting from Yamaha)....not that they aren't helpful,but I am the dumbest son of a bitch alive on this earth,when it comes to computers.
Their instructions seem simple enough,but my computer seems to be organized and displayed differently than what is standard on Windows 7.

I tried to tell these people that I needed a walk-through via their phone support,but they're insistent on keeping the support restricted to e-mail only,at this point.

I am going to copy and paste all of the e-mail contact I received from them to here and hopefully someone here can understand what is going on and maybe point out to me,as to what I ma doing wrong?

Here's my exact problem at this point; I can't find my "Documents and Settings" folder,I can't find the "Apllication Data" and I cannot find the "Syncrosoft" folder either.
  Huh

Thomas,

First, go to www.elicenser.net, download and install the latest version of eLCC

Now go to the Start menu, then select My Computer.  Double click on the C: drive.  Go in to the Documents and Settings folder, then the all users folder, then the Application Data Folder (you must have hidden files and folder set to show, see attached file. If you do not see the folder please select the tools menu then folder options, select the View tab and select show hidden files and folders).  Open the Syncrosoft folder and delete the SEL file.

Please go to the Start menu, Click Run. Now type in "cmd" and hit Enter.  This will open the Command Prompt window.  

In the command prompt, type “cd c:\”  then hit Enter.
Now type “cd Program Files\elicenser\pos”  then hit Enter.
Now type “synsopos.exe –regsel”   then hit Enter.  (Make sure there is a space before the “ –“)
Now you must restart your machine.

After restarting the machine open eLCC. You should have a new SEL Number.

Now follow the video:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pages/activate_cai4.html

If needed, go to www.steinberg.net, MySteinberg.  Login and go to Activation/Reactivation to request a new activation code.

Thomas,

The info in the Documents and Settings folder isn't different, mainly because you aren't given a choice to set it up any differently when Windows and or the software is installed. Buying Cubase would resolve the problem you're running into since it's based upon the same architecture.

If you're system IS somehow different, then only you or the person(s) involved with building the PC know where it is and need to find the admin folder. The doc, I sent, shows you where to go in the control panel in order to set Windows to reveal hidden files and folders.

Isaac

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 9/8/2011 12:13 PM
To: supportreply@yamaha.com
Subject: Re: MOX info    [ ref:00D3F1z.5003GBFee:ref ]

Isaac,
The content in my C-drive is set up differently,as I don't see any of the folders you mentioned.My users folder is listed in my C-drive,but this folder does not take me to any of the folders you mentioned.Where is he tools menu?
I've attached a screenshot of
what is there in my C-drive.I need a walk-through via the phone,to get through this...so please set up a call back with me.
I've always had problems with installing freeware,so please forgive my ignorance...I am at a point where I would prefer to purchase a full version of Cubase,just to make things easier.

Thanks,
-Thom

Thomas,

1. Go to Control panel

2. Go to ‘FOLDER OPTIONS’

3. Select the ‘VIEW’ tab

4. Mark ‘SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOILDERS’ (it’s the 8th one down)

5. Click ‘OK’
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:38:26 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:46:09 AM »

Sorry for your predicament, Bro, but I am not familiar enough with Windows to help out. Keep at it - diligent effort will prevail.

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »

Thom,
Try to do a search in the root of your C: for the missing files. Type a part of the name of the file or the complete filename. Windows should give the location of the files that respond to the search criteria.
Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »

Moon,

I was told to locate the Syncrosoft folder that supposedly has the SEL file.I ran a search in the C-drive as you suggested and when I found the Syncrosoft folder,the SEL was not there.

Looks like have have no choice,but to pay for a full version of Cubase,as it's the only way I am going to obtain the license number(assuming that the license number is included with the software).

I'll have to wait until I get the MOX6 paid off,so it will be at least another 4 months,until I have the opportunity to buy and use Cubase with my MOX6.

I just can't seem to convey clearly enough to Yamaha,about my issues that I am having,which is why they told me to contact Steinberg tech support.
I submitted a request form to Steinberg,but they don't have a contact # on the website,although they did ask for my #...so I'm hoping to receive a call,rather than an e-mail...as I don't think I could tolerate waiting several weeks trying to resolve a simple matter of obtaining a license #!

Anyhow,thanks for you help. Smiley

-Thom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:11:51 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »

Roll Eyes
Thom ...

this is probably what you don't want to hear, friend.
When I first was pulled into this strange world of computer recording I started off with Cubase.

Much like you I struggle with the technology side of things. I have mostly felt 'illiterate' in computer terms and have always had problems with installing and running software ... I always blame 'them' for disguising everything in terminology instead of trying to make things simple to understand  Roll Eyes

Anyway ... in my opinion ... Cubase is a monster. It is difficult to learn. It has a torturous workflow. It has an unacceptably intrusive security system.
For those reasons I ditched it as soon as I found something better.

I found Reaper.
5.6 Mb download. Uncrippled trial version. Only $60 to buy once you have tested it (for as long as you need).  Does most of the things that Cubarse does.  Has NO intrusive security features. Is rock solid. Has a fantastic user forum and support network.
I won't go on.
I would say ... forget Cubarse, save your cash, and try Reaper instead.    Kiss

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:46:17 PM »

James,

As it turns out,Yamaha support gives somewhat vague descriptions in there instructions(at least this is the case,regarding Cubase licensing installation).
However...Steinberg support is another story,as they actually give clear,concise and foolproof instructions & they sorted out my dilemma in a jiffy!  
I now have my Cubase AI5 up & running,so now it's just a matter of navigating my way through it's functions. Cool Before my issue was resolved,I looked into Cubase 6 and it was $249 and of course,since Cubase AI5 is free and fully functional,it would have been ludicrous for me to buy Cubase 6.
I know how fond you are of Reaper-as you've brought it up on several occasions,but we're different musicians with different needs and since Cubase is designed to work specifically with Yamaha keyboards,it was & is,very important to me to use Cubase.

Actually,between Yamaha tech support,the Motifator forum and Steinberg's support,Yamaha has a rather elaborate network of help resources.....whereas Native Instruments is a certifiable nightmare,as there is no technical support whatsoever(only the customer service staff,reading out of product manuals).

If I had not bought a Yamaha workstation keyboard,I most certainly would have given Reaper a go,but now there is no reason for me to get it.
I will say this though,I do not plan on upgrading Cubase,because between Cubase AI5 and my MOX6 keyboard,I have everything I need and I might as well keep things simple.

Appreciate your advice though,just the same. Cool

-Thom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:48:01 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: