Kara-Moon Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:10:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: November KVR entry  (Read 7265 times)
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: November 07, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »

Shocked
Well......now for something completely different!!

The theme is.....
Oxymorons, contradictions, unusual blends - but not just intermixing for the sake of it. The resulting piece should not just be a random bunch of mismatched stuff, it has to really work musically.

so I have gone for...
PrettyUgly

all done with Crystal, Wusikstation and Synth1.

Wink
James

* 0711_offthewall_PrettyUgly.mp3 (1860.13 KB - downloaded 745 times.)

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:31:06 AM »

It fits the theme, alltough it is a strange theme for a contest  Huh Roll Eyes

I know that melody from somewhere but don't remember what the song was....

I see you are getting in vsti's  Grin, and with a good choice, you have some pretty good tools there which are complementary.

Good luck with the contest.

k

Shocked
Well......now for something completely different!!

The theme is.....
Oxymorons, contradictions, unusual blends - but not just intermixing for the sake of it. The resulting piece should not just be a random bunch of mismatched stuff, it has to really work musically.

so I have gone for...
PrettyUgly

all done with Crystal, Wusikstation and Synth1.

Wink
James

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »

@kara,
You're right, it is a strange contest theme. I almost didn't bother this month because of it, then I thought....I always said that I'm only in this to learn from the challenge....so gave it a go!

The tune is a traditional nursery rhyme, which I thought would give the right sort of atmosphere to be disrupted by the other more sinister sounds.
And, yes, I do have quite a collection of (free) VSTi's, but find the whole concept of using 'pretend' instruments to be a bit like cheating (just a personal reaction, I may add).
Thanks for the comments, as usual.
 Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:25:33 PM »

I recognised the tune instantly, but never heard it in such an ominous setting. This is a very clever piece of work James. I guess you know where at least one vote will be coming from Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »

Yeah I agree this is a weird and challenging theme. There'll be weird entries imo.
Your track is well built and certainly original, it's a kind of scary lullaby (in a way)
Well layered synths, and good use of effected sounds
Very different from your usual style

Cheers
dark nowhere

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 10:15:49 AM »

I liked your entry (hi, I'm new here... came here 'cause tracks on kara-moon are usually above average) and it's one of the better ones IMO. I was thinking I wasn't going to enter either, but today I got a great idea. I'll post about it later when it's mature.
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »

Cheesy
Thanks for the comments 'LR' and 'dark nowhere'.....and welcome!  It's good to get more escapees from over there. I'm certain you will enjoy our happy family over here.  We are lucky to have some enormous talents.
 Wink
James

FourthMansions
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 07:58:09 PM »

I liked this a lot - some quite spooky variations on the nursery-rhyme melody. Very well produced with some excellent sounds. It works very well. Good luck with the contest.
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »

Grin
Thanks, FM.
It's nice to get comments like these on a piece that is totally 'outside of my box'.
 Wink
James

dark nowhere

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 01:18:02 AM »

It's good to get more escapees from over there.
I'm not so much an escapee; KVR has its use, though if it were my primary music forum I'd have hung myself long ago. It feels like a mall food court where kara-moon actually has discernible character. Smiley

I'm certain you will enjoy our happy family over here.  We are lucky to have some enormous talents.
It seems so. More than any other music host, I find listening to stuff hosted here rewarding.
blipp
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 09:43:44 PM »

It does sound like the soundtrack to a scary movie withsinister overtones. Nice combination of sounds. I liked the part where the pad comes in the best, very ominous sounding. Interesting track.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: