Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:23:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Harmonica  (Read 18064 times)
Psy-T

Betroth to a TB-303

« on: September 30, 2007, 08:36:58 PM »

i found my old tremolo harmonica today, it sparked my interest in harmonicas, and i want to get a more capable one. to be specific, i want a harmonica which is tuned as follows:

Code:
A# C  D# F G  G# A# C  D# F  G  G# A# C   blow
B  C# D  E F# A  B  C# D  E  F# A  B  C#  draw
1  2  3  4 5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12 13 14

i don't see a need for it to have the standard button chromatic harmonicas have, and i could live with it being only 12 holes long rather than 14, but i have no idea what harmonicas exist which meet these criteria, any clues guys?

oh, almost forgot - if i could choose, i'd prefer it to be baritone instead of tenor.

thanks.

Creativity is a drug i cannot live without.
Cecil B. DeMille (1881 - 1959)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 08:46:02 PM »

I'm sure Wyatt knows the answer to this, he has a couple of them

Wyatt, where are you Huh

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 11:31:46 PM »

Hi Psy-T,

You might be able to get exactly what you want. I would contact Hohner
directly:

Hohner Europe, contact:

http://www.hohner.eu/index.php?726

They have some beautiful tremolo harps:

Tremolo harp sextet:

http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?63

Tremolo single:

http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?63

..I have three Hohner chromatic harps..I don't find the slide button all that useful, myself, but do appreciate the full scale that the diatonic harps don't offer, and the added range.

..on the other hand I also have a ton of 10 hole harps..both Hohner Blues Harps, and Lee Oskar, (Tombo) harps. Lee Oskar has a huge amount of reed plates available, and I have heard of folks who mix and match the reed plates to get all manner of scale possibilities..I mean, if you wanted a phryggin myxolydian scale you could have it. Smiley

You might get ahold of him..at least before before he started his production business, that is, he had been known to return phonecalls and help out..particularly since you know exactly what you want..but, as I said these are 10 hole harps.

Lee Oskar direct:

http://www.leeoskar.com/

When you can control your scales like that, you can do some awesome stuff..there is a guy who plays harp for all the world like Van Halen lead guitar..John Poppy of the Blues Travelers..not my bag, but mind blowing that it can be done and done so bloody well.

Keep in touch, and let me know how you do with your quest.

Wyatt

Psy-T

Betroth to a TB-303

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:51:39 AM »

thanks wyatt, i'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Smiley

Psy-T

Betroth to a TB-303

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:23:02 PM »

so far no reply from Hohner, and i also checked out a few local musical instruments retailers, no luck with them. Sad

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 11:42:04 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that isn't resolved yet.

Did you email, or phone?

It seems to me that it is more difficult now to get
that kind of help, than it used to be not so very many
years ago.

Wyatt

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:48:53 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Psy-T

Betroth to a TB-303

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 01:25:42 AM »

i emailed. i would have had a tough time explaining exactly what it is that i want over the phone. Wink

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »

i emailed. i would have had a tough time explaining exactly what it is that i want over the phone. Wink

..email can take a while..I  hope it works out.

..if you do end up having to call, it would be cool to find someone
who is helpful..as a future resource.

Wyatt

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:49:39 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Psy-T

Betroth to a TB-303

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 09:56:58 PM »

hmm, for the meantime, have you got any clue which 'standard' scale i can get harmonicas in would be closest to what i want?

if you do, it would help a lot if you could include a 'schematic' like the one i did in the original post with the note placement.

p.s.
i noticed i can jam along to that short composition you posted with my old tremolo harmonica :p

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »

Hi Psy-T,

OK..it looks like we have to get some traction here.

To start with:

Most of the time Harps are simply sold by what key they are in. All the charts I have that show the notes for each different hole, begin with the root of the key they are in..I don't have one for Bb, so I can’t say about the rest of your notes.

Wyatt

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:50:58 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Psy-T

Betroth to a TB-303

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:28:31 AM »

Hi Psy-T,

OK..it looks like we have to get some traction here.

There are probably three possible ways to work this out:

First, maybe it would help me if you can explain to me how you arrived at your choices for notes..

i considered which keys i play most often, and which keys i enjoy listening to the most, and thought long and hard about how i want the notes of the key (and the ones that don't belong to the key) divided between blows and draws. i wanted the notes that don't belong in the key for wider versatility, mostly for improvisation, but also to play in other keys, even if that may be cumbersome. the C note is my root, but i hate being limited in my improvisation by having my root note be the lowest note, which is why i rather insist on having a Bb/A# hole precede it.

What songs are you going to play with this?

any and all?  Grin

and what key are the songs in?

C minor, for the most part.

are you playing a melody or fills?

both.

do you plan to use a lot of note bending?

i haven't managed to bend on my tremolo so far, and that tremolo accounts for all my harmonica experience so far, never say never though. Wink

Did you see this?  ---->

http://www.leeoskar.com/harpframe.html

If you look at the Melody Maker, Natural Minor, and the Harmonic Minor, you will find charts that show the note value for the different holes, and how they are different
From a Major Diatonic harp..there may not be one exactly as you wish, but there might be one close enough to try.

both minors came pretty close to the main notes i'd want, but i'd really prefer to have all notes on a harmonica, rather than only those belonging to a particular key.

Third possibility..send me a short clip of the music you want to play harp with, and  I will check my collection to see if I have something that works..that is step one..then after that there is a step two.  Grin

www.psy-t.com/07-09-16-fluffy_pink_circle-a.mp3 < a work in progress, fits our purpose because it's in my usual key, and because there's still some space to work in and jam with, seeing as it is awaiting shushi's vocals.
see my entry to this month's kara-moon contest for an example of me playing with different keys, should illustrate why i want all of the notes available. Smiley

BTW..if you can jam with that clip, you probably have a C harp..does it have a letter stamped on it anywhere? ..it should.

my harmonica is a tremolo harmonica made by Hero (china) in the 80s, it doesn't have a letter stamped on it anywhere. it is tuned as follows:
"Common tuning in East Asia
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
|G |d |C |f |E |a |G |b |C |d |E |f |G |a |C |b |E |d |G |f |C |a |E |b |
|G |d |C |f |E |a |G |b |C |d |E |f |G |a |C |b |E |d |G |f |C |a |E |b |
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
" (source, wikipedia's tremolo harmonica article)

or in the way i write the tuning:
Code:
G C E G C E G C E G C E G C E G C E G C E G C E blow
D F A B D E F A B D E F A B D E F A B D E F A B draw
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4

cheers for the help Wyatt Smiley

edit: fixed a typo, it's in bold.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:38:59 AM by Psy-T » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »

Personally,

I'd like to hear a medley of Wyatt's favourite harp tunes, featuring Wyatt's playing, of course. The few performances I have heard are impressive.

Care to twist up a little sampler for us HarpMan?

Oren.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 11:34:40 AM »

Psy-T:  ..got it..can't play now..everybody still asleep  Grin
..laterz.

Oren:  ..interesting idea..thanks for asking..hmm, lemme see now..

Wyatt

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 09:38:08 PM »

Hi Psy-T,

OK..I got dizzy trying to re-quote all that, so I decided to write this in my wp in split screen..

..it sounds to me like you are looking for a “one harp does everything” solution here:

http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?36

The chromatic harp is capable of playing all major, minor, pentatonic, and blues scale.

So is that the harp for you?? ..that’s not so easy to answer..but for starters let me point out that you would have to study the instrument until you could play all those different separate scales in your sleep, without thinking, as it were, before that bold statement would be true for you.

Having said that, let me point out that the Super Chromonica is available in 9 different keys..if it is a do-everything harmonica, then why 9 different keys?

As to key, as it relates to playing style:

If you are playing melody, you are in first position, with a harp in the same key as the song..if you are bending notes and getting blues-ey with it, then you are playing in second position, (cross-harp), for which you need a harp that is four steps above the key of the song.

So, you see it is a simple question, but not a simple answer.

This is getting very long and still we are just scratching the surface..so I am going to post this and then try to tie this up so it makes some sense in my next post in, (hopefully), a few minutes

Wyatt

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:52:25 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 09:41:45 PM »

Psy-T,

Well my last post is taking a long time to load..oops..lost it..having trouble connecting to the board.

..so I will continue on the wp.

I am not a fan of learning harmonica the way the books teach. I use an instinctive instinctive approach..there is still a lot of technique to learn, but in the end, when I want a particular note I know just where it is without thinking.

..which may not be everyones cup of tea..but for me, when I want a certain sound or a particular note, if that note is on the harmonica I will hit it the first time..anything I can hear I can play If the notes are there..

(haha..so I am sympathetic to your quest)..I imagine the chromatic harp could be learned that way also, but it would be levels of magnitude more time to learn..I have managed, however to learn one song at a time fairly well..but I don't find a chromatic harp that expressive.

If I was getting one harp I would get some kind of a harp in C. For me, I like Blues Harps..Then play melody to songs in C, and cross-harp to songs in G.

If I was wanting to record a particular song in whatever key, I go out and get the harp I need for that song..those minor harps are fun.

I can’t give you a definitive answer on the Cm song you posted yet..that was step one..step 2 is that if you can make me a version of that song in Bm, I will try it with a couple Lee Oskar Harmonic Minor harps, (Bm and Em).  Then you can decide if you like the sound.

I will be posting more about harp playing shortly with some examples.

Wyatt

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: