Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:53:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Harmonica  (Read 17892 times)
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 09:46:04 PM »

Personally,

I'd like to hear a medley of Wyatt's favourite harp tunes, featuring Wyatt's playing, of course. The few performances I have heard are impressive.

Care to twist up a little sampler for us HarpMan?

Oren.

Whew!!

Finally..I'm back..I made a twist of clips from 7 songs.

Anyone interested can find it in "From the Shadows"..hehe..where else.  Grin

Wyatt

Psy-T

Betroth to a TB-303

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 02:48:43 AM »

..it sounds to me like you are looking for a “one harp does everything” solution here:

http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?36

The chromatic harp is capable of playing all major, minor, pentatonic, and blues scale.

sure, but why would i want the button/slider that chromatics generally have? why add that additional level of complexity (which probably multiplies the difficult of 'mastering' it) if all the notes could be accessed without it as in my desired 'design'?

aren't there chromatics without the button/slider?

Creativity is a drug i cannot live without.
Cecil B. DeMille (1881 - 1959)
Psy-T

Betroth to a TB-303

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 03:02:42 AM »

I am not a fan of learning harmonica the way the books teach. I use an instinctive instinctive approach..there is still a lot of technique to learn, but in the end, when I want a particular note I know just where it is without thinking.

..which may not be everyones cup of tea..but for me, when I want a certain sound or a particular note, if that note is on the harmonica I will hit it the first time..anything I can hear I can play If the notes are there..

same here, i have never been taught to play the harmonica, but just as soon as i laid hands upon it, i was jamming  Cheesy

I can’t give you a definitive answer on the Cm song you posted yet..that was step one..step 2 is that if you can make me a version of that song in Bm, I will try it with a couple Lee Oskar Harmonic Minor harps, (Bm and Em).  Then you can decide if you like the sound.

sure, i'll do that tomorrow (it's 5am :p)

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 01:04:24 PM »

sure, but why would i want the button/slider that chromatics generally have?

You most likely wouldn't want the slider..it's stifling..

..more later..gotta run

Wyatt

EDIT to add:  Yes, Psy, I was trying to indicate to you that the chromatic might not be the big "solution in the sky"..sorry if in my haste yesterday,  I may not have made that clear.

I like my chromatics, and seldom use them..and when I do, 99% of the time I don't use the slider..I just like the scale layout..for some songs I also like the particular tone..but even then they are stiff to play..when I want to honk, its the Blues Harp for me..I like them better by far than the Special 20 or the Golden Melody.

I like the L.O. harps for the different minor tunings, but they aren't as fun to play..plus the L.O. harps need modification before playing if you have a mustache...ouch!!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 04:20:28 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 04:19:13 PM »

I am not a fan of learning harmonica the way the books teach. I use an instinctive instinctive approach..there is still a lot of technique to learn, but in the end, when I want a particular note I know just where it is without thinking.

..which may not be everyones cup of tea..but for me, when I want a certain sound or a particular note, if that note is on the harmonica I will hit it the first time..anything I can hear I can play If the notes are there..

same here, i have never been taught to play the harmonica, but just as soon as i laid hands upon it, i was jamming  Cheesy

I can’t give you a definitive answer on the Cm song you posted yet..that was step one..step 2 is that if you can make me a version of that song in Bm, I will try it with a couple Lee Oskar Harmonic Minor harps, (Bm and Em).  Then you can decide if you like the sound.

sure, i'll do that tomorrow (it's 5am :p)

..cool..I will try to dig out a clue for you.  Grin

..just grabbing a harp and playing it because it is fun is the best it gets, IMO..by doing that you get familiar enough with it to play a song you never tried before, and get it right the first time..when you get on down the road with this, there are some songs I can suggest to you that will teach you specific, fundamental, techniques that you can then use as versatile tools in your musical arsenal..

..I did mention a couple of things about that in my recent harmonica post on "From the Shadows"..you can hear some of the variety of techniques.

Meantime, I'm not going to be the one  to tell you that the harmonica of your current dreams is not possible..there are plenty of people out there who will do that.

..nope that isn't going to cross my lips..because I believe that it is always worth taking shots like that..

..that is why I suggest calling the company..spend some time ahead of time if you have to writing out what you want to say, and then talk to a person who can help you..they might say no, and then you might take a different tack, but I would press it to the limit before giving up on that.

Even if they say no..that might not be the last word, but the project could end up taking more effort and expense than its worth..

..in the end you might end up with 3 different flavors of Cm harp, and find yourself very happy.

..and as to the Tremolo issue..never bought one..never tried one..there are several playing techniques for producing tremolo when you want it, with a regular harp.

..haha..a friend of mine who is a great  harp player, when he wants tremolo he plays through a Mesa  Boogie, and uses the tremolo onboard the amp. Grin

Wyatt
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 04:26:05 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Psy-T

Betroth to a TB-303

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 08:55:43 PM »

www.psy-t.com/07-09-16-fluffypinkcircle-t.mp3

transposed as requested Smiley

...now to check out that tune you posted Wink

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 11:58:57 PM »

www.psy-t.com/07-09-16-fluffypinkcircle-t.mp3

transposed as requested Smiley

...now to check out that tune you posted Wink

..OK..the L.O. Bm Harmonic Minor goes nicely with this version, so it is a safe bet that if you like what you hear when I record a bit for you, that you will be happy with the L.O. Cm Harmonic Minor, when the song is in Cm.

I will try to record and upload an example for you tomorrow.

Wyatt

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 03:02:12 PM »

Hi Psy-T,

OK..I recorded using a Bm harp along with your song transposed to Bm so you
can hear the sound of the Harmonic Minor Harp. So a Cm version will give you
comparable results when you write in Cm..

I hope that helps you find a solid place to start.

I posted the song here:

http://www.kara-moon.com/forum/index.php?topic=1084.msg8430#msg8430

..I used a sound shaping technique that Oren taught me for the guitar, on the harp this morning,
 and so I wanted to make sure he didn't miss it.

Wyatt

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: