Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:19:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 7784 times)
GuitarEd
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:57:14 AM »

Cool

Couldn't find a place here were we can get to know each other so I decided to start this thread I hope that is OK.

I am a guitarist, teacher, and computer music addict. I have been using midi since its inception and love it! I just discovered MMA tonight and am very excited about being able to generate midi accompaniment files based off of human readable text files! That plus the fact that the styles are also easily defined makes this potentially the most useful tool I have run into in a long time. I still haven't read the documentation just played around with the application and some files a bit but can tell already that it is going to be receiving a lot of my time and attention!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thank you guys for supporting such a great resource. I have some programing experience (none in python though I am afraid) with midi and directx music if I can help in any way please let me know. Also, if anyone here is into playing music over the internet some friends and I have found a method of doing so using second life and I would love the opportunity to jam and get to know the members here better. In second life I am Guitar Edman please fell free to look me up have a chat.

Thanks again!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »

Welcome! Hope to hear lots from you and others.

BTW, guys, what we really need in the way of contributions are more and better libraries. Some of the grooves are really just "proof of concept" or "best guesses" on my part. And some genres, especially the ones I don't like or understand, are completely missing.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 06:19:16 PM »

Welcome here, and feel free to ask or contribute  Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
rbc
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:59:29 AM »

Despite warning about the topic not being used for over 120 days I am posting here as it seems the right place! I hope someone finds it!

Have just joined and wanted to say 'hi' and thanks to bvdp for such a great piece of software. And also for this forum.

I came across MMA after trying Impro-visor and demos of Biab and Onyx-arranger. As you say impro-visor seems to be aimed at education and is for 'help developing solos'. The others are good but are of course commercial.

I read bvdp asking what users need for tutorials. Having used it for about 1 day I would say the tutorial/reference manual etc. are pretty good. But then being in IT I do read manuals!!

By the way I have over 25 years in IT and lots of experience with Python, so if you need help with MMA let me know. Would be happy to act as a beta-tester as well.

Have also many years music 'experience' (Piano/Kbd, Guitar, Theory); though to hear me play at present you might not think so, due to regularly stopping and later restarting.

Now trying to get really stuck in and play, compose and arrange. Would like to start playing in a group. (UK Surrey Area)

Main interest is Jazz and Classical.

Thanks again for MMA.   Smiley

rbc
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »

GuitarEd,
Good to have you on board! This site has a marvelous combination of musical sensibility and technical know-how. Folks who can bridge the gap between technology and art will fit in very well.

rbc,
We desperately need more members who can actually understand what Bob (bvdp) is talking about. Maybe even translate for the rest of us... Cheesy Make yourself at home here...post some of your music...diversity is the name of our game.

Bob,
I think we just hit the motherload Shocked

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »

Hey, if you ever figure out what I'm talking about ... let me know! I'm lost half the time as well  Huh

Seriously, the only way MMA gets better is from suggestions and questions from users. So, fire away. I think the output is pretty decent these days. Some of the libraries need tweaking ... but I've done a number of gigs this year with me playing sax, my wife singing, and MMA generated backing tracks. Being a bit of an "old guy" and used to "real" bands, I'm always a bit nervous performing with backup tracks ... but, the only comment I've gotten from anyone about the backing tracks is that they "sounded very tasteful". So, I take that as a good thing.

I've been tweaking the STRUM command over the last few weeks and will be putting up a new developer version early next month.

Thanks for the nice comments!

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: