Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:36:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Planet  (Read 8806 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: October 28, 2007, 08:59:27 PM »

I"ve been enjoying Elv's "Red Planet" song so much,that it inspired me to write this song;

* Ice Planet.mp3 (2158.98 KB - downloaded 377 times.)

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 08:22:50 AM »

Thom,

Nice work!

Good title, and an apt descrition of the mood. The composition is set up in sections that flow well from one to the next, and provide a variety of feels within the central theme. Along with the predictable techno sounds come a few unexpected tidbits that really freshen up the mix, and that tasty ending does a nice job of wrapping up the package.

I can see you're taking the time to select your sounds and build the tune with the
big picture in mind.

Nice going,

Oren.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 08:26:13 AM by Oren » Logged

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »

Hi Elwood
you put together a nice track using many icy sounds, and the leads are working very well to build the 'extreme cold' atmosphere, I like the theme music and this one deserves a big thumb up

Cheers
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 08:13:37 PM »

hi Thom,

Good composition. I like the way you play with the songs. I thought you work only with hardware synths? There is a lot of variety in the song, so I was wondering where all these sounds are comming from...

Moon
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 09:13:16 PM »

Yes, one can hear/see the swirling clouds of ice around jagged pinacles. Stark white against a black sky.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:57:21 PM »

Oren,

Thank you for the very kind & eloquently written review-much appreciated. Cool

L.R.,

I'm very pleased that you like it & thanks for the comments. Cool

Moon,

I find it very interesting,your particualr impressions of my arrangements,as actually,I did it all on my Korg Triton Extreme-believe it or not. Grin

Allow me to explain;

The Extreme has real-time performance controls(knobs) via the Valve Force tube within the keyboard,which allows one to manipulate the LPF Cutoff,Resonance,EG Intensity,& the EG Release.

I always assumed,up until yesterday,that these controls were strictly live performance controls-meaning that I did not realize that I could actually record these manipilations into the Korg's midi sequencer.

I've had this keyboard for 3 years and I decided yesterday to experiment to see if I could actually record those performance sounds-I did'nt really expect the Korg to function in this manner and I just discovered this yesterday!

It just goes to show you how under-estimated the Extreme is,as I even under-estimated it after all this time! Grin

Of course,the Korg still does not have anywhere near the capabilties of the Nord,but it is nice to know that I have a little bit more to play with until I get the Nord. Grin

Folderol,

I'm very flattered that my song inspired you to write poetry! Grin

Thanks to all,

Thom

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 07:00:05 AM »

Moon,

I find it very interesting,your particualr impressions of my arrangements,as actually,I did it all on my Korg Triton Extreme-believe it or not. Grin

Of course,the Korg still does not have anywhere near the capabilties of the Nord,but it is nice to know that I have a little bit more to play with until I get the Nord. Grin

Yes, I thought so. You make excellent use of your gear. When listening to the song, I thought you allready had the Nord Grin
So, I'm looking forward hearing you combine the Triton Extreme with the Nord.

By the way: You inspired me with your Korg: I've recently ordered an Korg M3 with Radias board, won't have a Nord though... (but I do have a Virus B rack). So there will be some simularities in our setup Wink
Can't wait to get my hands on it and make some music...

Moon
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 08:04:01 AM »

Elwood,

Did you record this with your Zoom HD recorder ?

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »

Moon,

I am certain,that once you plunge deep into your new M3-it will produce some amazing sounds & with your Virus rack next to your Korg-I will be very envious of your set up & will very much look foward to hearing what you will come up with! Grin

Kara,

I'm not really sure how familiar or not familiar, you are about my keyboard,so I will offer a bit of a overview.
The Extreme is a rather amazing & very useful recording tool just on it's own-without any external help.

It has a 16 track sequencer,5 insert effects in song mode,mixing & mastering functions & a sampler-so that being said,I was easily able to accomplish what I did with this song-without the aid of the Zoom recorder.

The one drawback about this board,is that the only ways that you can really manipulate or fortify sounds,is to layer programs,add effects & use the valve force tube-so that's were the Extreme's limits are at.

One of the reasons I bought the Zoom recorder,is to combine the Korg with the Nord.

Also,since the Nord Lead 2X does not have effects,I've got that covered with the Zoom's effects.

Always a pleasure,

Thom Cool

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 02:08:36 PM »

Thanks Thom

I was asking because the mix sounds very clear.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Servetus

Heretic

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 09:43:29 PM »

Wow. This piece.. is excellent..

Like Kara pointed out, the mix is very crisp, I have liked Korg before, but that is dually impressive. Maybe I'll make my first hardware synth purchase a Korg...

Very enjoyable song, I don't keep a lot of the tracks I download, but that is a keeper.

-Servetus

I like.. sound.
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 12:54:54 AM »

Servetus,

So glad that you dig the song as much as you do. Cool

I'm really flattered that you saved my song...that's really cool to know.

Thanks a bunch for your comments.

Elwood

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: